Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

staple gun for osb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default staple gun for osb?

i know, its not about cars but it does concern my garage. My buddy says that he saw a guy use a staple gun to staple osb (oriented strand board, AKA waferboard) to a ceiling. He says the staples have some sort of glue on them and it works awesome. Well, im in the business of installing osb on my walls and ceiling of my shop. Ive made it about 1/2 way on the walls, but have not started on the ceiling. I have been screwing them in with deck screws. Anyone have an idea of what type of staple gun is heavy duty enough to do this job? That and what size/types of staples hes talking about. This would be excellent for when i get ready to hang the ceiling. Even if I could staple it up and then go back and shoot a few screws here and there it would save a lot of time. Ive seen some pretty heavy duty brad nailers but i dont know about staple guns. Never really thought about it.

thanks
matt
Old 09-05-2008, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

forget the staples and stick to the decking/framing screws...

infact, forget someone even told you about staples in the first place to adhere anything that goes above your head...
Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i thought the same thing, but my neighbor has his whole ceiling done that way and its still up. Its been there for years. I noticed it the other day. I dont know, I kind of felt uneasy about it too, thats why i asked.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the heck gun will even fit a 1" staple & how big of a hand do you need to fire the thing. Hell, you would need some kind of assisted trigger system??? I don't even use nails for anything on a ceiling, staple, no frigging way. I don't care how modern or trick it is!!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

still up, but how sturdy? i look at it this way: if you're using 1/4 or 1/2" OSB and 2" screws, you know for a fact it's not only going through the thickness of the OSB but also a good 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" into the joist above. the joist at minimum should be a 6x2/8x2. so even if you wanted or could lay flooring above for storage, you would never contct the screw below.

as the other guy said, how big of a gun or 'assisted trigger system' (compressed air staple gun) to fire through both the OSB and joist? sounds like more trouble, wasted time and resources, IMO.

never hurts to ask, but i'd stick w/what youre currently doing.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha easy guys it was just a question. I didnt like the idea either, thats why i was asking if anyone had seen what he was describing Heck you never know whats out there. It was an air unit though, I could see a spring powered gun that shot that kind of ammo. It would have to have a lever on it like a floor jack. If this "gun" was decently priced, it would save me a bunch of time just hanging it. That was the original plan. If I could just get it in place and shoot some of these "rambo" staples into it to stick it in place. I would go back and shoot screws once it was up and hanging under its own power. ITs on a 10.5 foot ceiling and im just one guy. Im no carpenter I dont do this crap all day. I cant just balance it on my head like some do, but i wish i could.

Last edited by redbandit98; 09-06-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

buddies and beer...

better yet, ******* and beer to get the ceiling done...
Old 09-06-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive had to cut into OSB that was put up with a brad gun, had been up for about 10 years or so. to make a long story short, use decking screws unless you want it to fall down and hit you.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

you can use a construction or lathing stapler. the staples crowns are typically between 3/4" to 1 and 1/2 inch, depending on the brand you use. The only glue that is on the staples is what is used to hold them together in a stick. The staple guns are actually smaller than a framing nailer. They are between the $230 to $350 range. I use too have one but returned it once I realized it was useless for what I do. They make staples for them that are over 1 1/2" long. Some shot 2" I believe.

Why are you shooting osb on your ceiling to begin with? On the walls if they are load bearing as a shear makes sense (and is code). Truthfully, if you are dead set of using osb on your walls nail it it. 8d nails every 4 inches on edges and 6 inches on stud. All edges must be in contact with a stud. do this and they will not be coming down. That is what code calls for on shear wall.

if you are using the osb as your walls just use some drywall, looks better and also better insulation/sound proofing and is firecode.

Last edited by romoranger; 09-11-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Ceiling should go up first. The wall OSB will help hold the edges up.

A good drywaller and partner working off stilts will put up a ceiling in a 24 x 24 garage in about 3/4 of an hour and cost you about $ 350 t0 450 CASH (including laying Poly.)

Quick Reply: staple gun for osb?