User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Is there anyway to disable the sponsor banners for faster loading?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is there anyway to disable the sponsor banners for faster loading?

I was thinking that all the sponsor banners on the side of the page had a lot to do with the site loading up so slow. I have dial up, so Im trying to find anything that would help the speed. I was wondering if it were possible to have a link or button to push if I ever needed the sponsors, instead of them being along the side of the page and have to be loaded every time. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can turn off graphics in IE. But then you wont be able to see any pictures.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Do you clear your cache a lot? If you keep clearing it, every time you first load LS1tech, it will have to re-load all of the sponsor graphics.

The banners seem to be really small to me, so it's odd it takes them so long to load. (2-5K)
Old 09-28-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

They are definatly what slows down dial-up the most on this site. It would be nice if they could be put into a separate frame. I know the sponsors wouldn't be too keen on having the option of not seeing them.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

chevy42083: That is exactly what I think...its the banners that slow down the loading. I would like the banners/sponsors to be on a seperate page, section, thread, or whatever you call it.

Christos: I clear it so that it doesnt build up and slow my computer down. I do it every week or so as well as running Ad Aware. But yes, I am aware that it will have to reload the pics when I revisit the site. The banners are small, but theres a lot of them and really takes its toll on dial up connection.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Banned

Just an FYI, if you can download the Mozilla web browser, you can right-click any ls1tech image and choose "Block images from this server". Then images won't load if they have a url that starts with "http://www.Ls1tech.com....", etc

This way you can still see web pages that are hosted, and all other images, as long as they dont' start with ls1tech.com. Hope this helps someone.

ps, you can re-enable this feature from the properties pages, if you move connections or decide you clicked on that option my mistake.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

I like the banners. I forget, is your name Jeremy?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

while we're at it... anyone know how I can get my GM High Tech Performance w/out the sponsor/advertisers cluttering up the pages? or a way to put them in the very back of the magazine so I don't have to see the people that pay for the magazine and make it affordable all the time?
Old 09-30-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by horist
while we're at it... anyone know how I can get my GM High Tech Performance w/out the sponsor/advertisers cluttering up the pages? or a way to put them in the very back of the magazine so I don't have to see the people that pay for the magazine and make it affordable all the time?
Everybodies a comedian.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ahh, c'mon guys, it was just a thought. No need for sarcasm. I was just looking for a way to speed up loading while Im on the board. It wouldnt be such a problem if I had DSL or cable modem. I wasnt complaining, I was just looking for a solution for us less unfortunate that have dial up.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:26 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dial-up

i had DSL back in the day before any of my buddies had it, then i had to get rid of it for a while, felt like i was in the stoneage. you never realize how FAST your chit goes untill you go back to dialup. i feel your pain.

Quick Reply: Is there anyway to disable the sponsor banners for faster loading?