Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

HELP! How to buy a car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! How to buy a car?

I have been looking around the forum and I have seen some different cars I would be willing to purchase the only problem is they live far from my current location (TX) I would have to pay for shipping but how would I purchase the car or put a deposit ensuring I wouldn't be ripped off? I'm not to worried about looking at the cars before I purchase them I just want to pay the buyer and get my own shipping without getting ripped off. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:08 AM
11 Second Club

Just fly or drive there, pick it up, then drive it home.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Buy a car that's stock then there's no surprises, otherwise go see it first
Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in DFW, TX and I have flown into a few other states and drove home with no issues.
I always just like seeing things first.
I do check out the background of the seller first and foremost before I even consider an offer.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Launching!

I'd suggest doing your research on the buyer like listed above before even making a deposit...

Once you've agreed that he is a potentially good seller, put together a quick contract, stating both names, and last 4, home address. or something that can be verified by public records. List the deposit or buy amount and what bank it's being sent to. Include any stipulations you both want in writing so that you both have an insurance policy to limit possible problems.

Then book your own shipping...

You can never be sure that the transaction goes smoothly unless you do it face to face and know exactly what you're getting involved in but this will help you from getting screwed.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope you have a smooth transaction!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my Trans Am from a small sports car dealer in FL, they had a lot of pics, mods listed, it was already professionally detailed. I flew out on a $200 ticket and a hailed $20 cab fare, picked it up and drove it home. I did some carfax research obviously but the beauty of it was that they handled all the paperwork, title, registration, etc. I paid sales tax there and it was partially refunded or taken off at TX registration if I remember correctly.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Unless you go there and inspect the vehicle yourself, there's no absolute guarantees that you're getting what you think you're getting. Even if you look at it yourself, you could miss something, and there's still no guarantee!

In most cities, there are people who do vehicle inspections. For a fee, of course. Shops and individuals will go over the car stem to stern, and get you a detailed report. Even some dealerships will do that for you. Check Craigs List for those types of services.

As for the money, you can get a third party to hold the money in escrow until all conditions are met. Talk to your current bank or credit union about escrow sales. If they don't do it, they can probably point you to an honest company.

Inspection, escrow, and shipping is going to cost you some coin. But, like most things you hire out, it saves you time. It's probably cheaper to fly/drive out there and check out the car yourself. Make sure the seller has a clear title in hand. And make sure you have cash in hand.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also use us as a resource, ask if anyone local and would mine checking out, most guys on here can pick out the good ones, the chance is if its a good deal that guy may swipe it from ya, but better then getting screwed, offer a beer when u come get it, or possibly send a gift card, Ive done it, I also will not take anything other then maybe a beer someday because many people have checked for me over the years and not taken anything, Good Karma!!! Ask the same questions ten different ways, make sure answers and stories are the same, if its a dealer, look for key words, I bought my Sierra from about a hour and a half south of Chicago, ended up with the used sales manager, and he said key things, "guarantee you will be happy or I'll buy your ticket home, came in on a sat and picked me up from the airport, it was his day off, him and his wife picked me up, great people, my truck was so nice on the way out I said let me know when the next one comes in, owner was a tech at dealer, sure enough last april 5 yrs later he called, would have been mine if it was geared right!

Quick Reply: HELP! How to buy a car?