Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

wtf is this??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Question wtf is this??

I opened the drivers door on my car this afternoon and saw this sticker... Any of you guys know what it's for??

Old 02-19-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

niiiiiiice congrats man!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

good job; i know you were really were looking forward to it.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I give.........why the sticker???
Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice Lee you have been approved, congrats.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteven
Ok I give.........why the sticker???
So that when he takes his '99 Firebird originally equipped with a 3.8 liter V6, now equipped with a 5.7 liter V8, to a smog shop, he will pass.

Nice going Lee. Glad it all turned out well.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
So that when he takes his '99 Firebird originally equipped with a 3.8 liter V6, now equipped with a 5.7 liter V8, to a smog shop, he will pass.

Nice going Lee. Glad it all turned out well.
Thanks again man, couldn't have done it without you, Alex, Cash, the Generalz, and Ivan!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Thanks again man, couldn't have done it without you, Alex, Cash, the Generalz, and Ivan!
So when are we modding it?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
So when are we modding it?
Probably when it's time for a top end rebuild. Hardened pushrods, LS6 or smoggable 224 cam, 243 heads (or have something done with mine), etc. Going to port & polish the throttle body when I have an afternoon to kill.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Probably when it's time for a top end rebuild. Hardened pushrods, LS6 or smoggable 224 cam, 243 heads (or have something done with mine), etc. Going to port & polish the throttle body when I have an afternoon to kill.
Definintely don't get a LS6 cam, 224 cam will do nicely. You can get some WCCH ported 243 heads. Bigger stall and 3.73 gears.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off congrats, where did u go for the ref?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
First off congrats, where did u go for the ref?
Thanks... I went to the referee at College of the Desert... That is seriously the name of the place. They hadn't seen an 01 F-body engine bay before and more than half of their data sources said that '01 V8 F-bodies should have EGR and electronic throttle bodies... That was yesterday. I grabbed a bunch of printouts from the dealership after the Ref yesterday to show that EGR was missing in '01, and showed up to the Ref today with the printouts... Yup, I had to go 2 times. Apparently he got the same printouts too on his own time, because he pulled out a file and showed me the same illustrated component view that I had printed out from the dealership. That was pretty much all that was missing for it to pass inspection on the first day, so the inspection/certification appointment today went very quick.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

congrats
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks... I went to the referee at College of the Desert... That is seriously the name of the place. They hadn't seen an 01 F-body engine bay before and more than half of their data sources said that '01 V8 F-bodies should have EGR and electronic throttle bodies... That was yesterday. I grabbed a bunch of printouts from the dealership after the Ref yesterday to show that EGR was missing in '01, and showed up to the Ref today with the printouts... Yup, I had to go 2 times. Apparently he got the same printouts too on his own time, because he pulled out a file and showed me the same illustrated component view that I had printed out from the dealership. That was pretty much all that was missing for it to pass inspection on the first day, so the inspection/certification appointment today went very quick.
Haha ya well at least its done that ***** never easy
Old 02-20-2010, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I told you you could get those for $20 at McArthur Park. Good buy Lee, looks real.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Good job Lee.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats man.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome! Did they check to make sure all your lights worked and stuff like that or was it just under the engine bay?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

The Referee and his assistant did a visual inspection of the engine bay and the exhaust. They plugged a Tech 2 scanner in to compare the VIN on the block/heads to the VIN in the PCM, and used the Tech 2 to check for DTCs and to verify that all emissions systems were reporting as ready (if they had been "tuned out" with HPtuners, the scanner would not have shown them as either present or reporting as ready, thus, fail). They also checked the gas cap to make sure it held pressure. I think they were supposed to test the EVAP system using the test port, but I didn't see them do that. One of them may have when I wasn't looking... They didn't perform a visual inspection of the EVAP canister & solenoid because the PCM reported the system as functional and working, plus the controls are located on top of the gas tank and if you've ever had to drop an F-body gas tank you'd know why they wouldn't attempt it if they didn't have to, or didn't have any tools. They did ask about the EVAP/fuel system and I told them I did change the pump & fuel lines, because the V8 pump probably has a different pressure level and potentially an extra sending unit for the fuel tank pressure (vital to the EVAP system).

Engine bay they checked the electrical, the casting numbers on the heads & block, verified the emissions equipment it is supposed to have is present. Exhaust, they checked the style of the manifolds, and made sure it had factory cats. The ref told me that it is legal to go with a true dual setup, as long as the cats aren't moved (already knew that, but it's nice to hear that from a Ref). True duals through shorties seems kind of a waste of a true dual setup though. I guess if you HAD to keep it smog legal, then sure...

The other stuff like turn signals and stuff they didn't check. They really don't care about the safety equipment, just the emissions.

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-20-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Referee and his assistant did a visual inspection of the engine bay and the exhaust. They plugged a Tech 2 scanner in to compare the VIN on the block/heads to the VIN in the PCM, and used the Tech 2 to check for DTCs and to verify that all emissions systems were reporting as ready (if they had been "tuned out" with HPtuners, the scanner would not have shown them as either present or reporting as ready, thus, fail). They also checked the gas cap to make sure it held pressure. I think they were supposed to test the EVAP system using the test port, but I didn't see them do that. One of them may have when I wasn't looking... They didn't perform a visual inspection of the EVAP canister & solenoid because the PCM reported the system as functional and working, plus the controls are located on top of the gas tank and if you've ever had to drop an F-body gas tank you'd know why they wouldn't attempt it if they didn't have to, or didn't have any tools. They did ask about the EVAP/fuel system and I told them I did change the pump & fuel lines, because the V8 pump probably has a different pressure level and potentially an extra sending unit for the fuel tank pressure (vital to the EVAP system).

Engine bay they checked the electrical, the casting numbers on the heads & block, verified the emissions equipment it is supposed to have is present. Exhaust, they checked the style of the manifolds, and made sure it had factory cats. The ref told me that it is legal to go with a true dual setup, as long as the cats aren't moved (already knew that, but it's nice to hear that from a Ref). True duals through shorties seems kind of a waste of a true dual setup though. I guess if you HAD to keep it smog legal, then sure...

The other stuff like turn signals and stuff they didn't check. They really don't care about the safety equipment, just the emissions.
Thats sweet Lee!
I will take that little tip the ref gave you about true duals.
Thats what Im planning on doing. I dont have that extra cash to give away for a special smog if I had LTs although it would be nice, but I just cant.
But Congrats!

Quick Reply: wtf is this??