Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Ticking noise from engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ticking noise from engine.

98 6-speed with 89,xxx miles. There's a ticking noise when idling. Especially @ WOT. I'm using 91 octane and using the right oil weight. I was told that it may be a sticking valve. What can it be? I was thinking about an engine rebuild or replacement, but was told that might not even be needed. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

ticking can be several things, can you tell which side it is coming from at all? and how loud is it?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has your oil pressure changed? is there a loss of power? have you over reved the car? how are the plugs and wires?

Last edited by 180ls1; 09-12-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

make sure one of your spark plugs didn't back out a bit

-J
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be lots of things... a sound / video clip may help a lot.

id start by checking the belt, making sure its not coming apart. And also spraying a little WD-40 on all the tension pullies bearings, they can go bad. If it gets quiet you'll notice. Then check the spark plugs and wires. If that still looks good and you still hear it, see if a buddy can scan it for missfires. The wire may look good... but it maybe broken in side, that will tell you which one you need to focus on.

If you still dont find it, Id stop driving it. And your going to have to pull off the valve covers. It maybe a bent pushrod, or a valve, or a spring. Hell it could even be a rocker. Although i think you would notice. But it sounds like you have thought about rebuilding, so its probably a noticeable sound. If its one of these, consider yourself lucky as its a cheap easy fix.

BUT, If all of that checks out... it could likely be a spun bearing or a bent connecting rod and the motor would have to come out. Here I would pull off the heads and see if there is any contact with the piston and the head or if there was any unusual wear inside of the cylinders. This would also give you an even better look at the valves... check to see if they are contacting the piston. If you see any of that, id pull the motor.

Have you or a previous owner sprayed nitrous or had a power adder on it? Or had the oil run low.. or had your oil replaced at jiffy lube (or the like)?

Last edited by xxrillixx; 09-13-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Exhaust leak?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a bomb!!! Haha jk pull ur pushrods check if they're straight and check for exhaust leaks
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

does it go away when the engine warms up?
Old 09-15-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by twelver12
everyone assumes the worst when it could be the normal piston slap all LS engines have when they are cold until normal operating temp. mine does this also and i'm not worried about anything, my wires are new, my plugs are new, i've seen my rocker arms and they're perfect. my car runs beautifully but for the OP if your car seems down on power then you want to check under the valve covers . . . if you haven't lost any power it's probably just piston slap
Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Exhaust leak?
That was my first thought when I saw the title
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

ticking can be several things, can you tell which side it is coming from at all? and how loud is it?
Can't really tell where it's coming from. But hear it more when next to a wall or other car.

Originally Posted by 180ls1
has your oil pressure changed? is there a loss of power? have you over reved the car? how are the plugs and wires?
Oil pressure seems right. The car does seem to be low on power. I've never over reved the car, but the person that I bought the car from did drag it several time.

Exhaust leak?
Doesn't seem to have an exhaust leak. Where should I check for leaks.

It's quiter when it is warm up, but still ticks.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Exhaust leak?
i have this ticking as well and an exhaust leak after the Y pipe. just curious as to how an exhaust leak would cause the ticking sound? also what would the loss in power you mention indicate?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Video
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevystyle
Can't really tell where it's coming from. But hear it more when next to a wall or other car.

Oil pressure seems right. The car does seem to be low on power. I've never over reved the car, but the person that I bought the car from did drag it several time.

Doesn't seem to have an exhaust leak. Where should I check for leaks.

It's quiter when it is warm up, but still ticks.
From everything you said here ^^^ sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Check your whole exhaust, especially where the headers bolt to the heads, you can usually see dark spots on the heads where exhaust gasses are leaking. Check all flanges, welding points, and damaged/scraped areas. Also check to see that all of your spark plugs are tight.

Best thing to do is start the car cold and feel around where the noise appears to be coming from.

Originally Posted by t-top99
i have this ticking as well and an exhaust leak after the Y pipe. just curious as to how an exhaust leak would cause the ticking sound? also what would the loss in power you mention indicate?
If you had a bad leak and too much air was getting to the o2's it could cause them to read lean, in turn causing your engine to run really rich. This could account for a loss in power. That might be a stretch. AFAIK, under WOT the computer does not read rely on the o2's, how does the car feel at WOT, normal?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Teching In

it feels great most of the time but at low rpms and launching it seems under powered. WOT feels good tho...could the catless y-pipe cause this as i have yet to get the tune to delete the rear O2s
Old 09-16-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

...could the catless y-pipe cause this as i have yet to get the tune to delete the rear O2s
No, rear o2's only monitor the cats, they have no affect on performance. A catless y-pipe should reduce restriction and increase power.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Teching In

found the source of my ticking, the passenger side section of the AIR system had a small hole (in the metal tube) did the EGR! and AIR! and the noise is gone
Old 10-01-2010, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

found the source of my ticking, the passenger side section of the AIR system had a small hole (in the metal tube) did the EGR! and AIR! and the noise is gone
Gives me an idea what to look for.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from engine.