Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Questions about California inspections & mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about California inspections & mods

Specifically, I've had my EGR & AIR removed.

Would my LS1 fail a CA inspection?

What mods can you "get away" with living out there.

I'm in the very early stages of considering a move, but want to make sure my TA is OK for out there.

I do know I'd need to put a catted Y pipe on.
Would my headers & Hooker cat back be OK?
So may questions, but these are starters.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ButchN
Specifically, I've had my EGR & AIR removed.

Would my LS1 fail a CA inspection?

What mods can you "get away" with living out there.

I'm in the very early stages of considering a move, but want to make sure my TA is OK for out there.

I do know I'd need to put a catted Y pipe on.
Would my headers & Hooker cat back be OK?
So may questions, but these are starters.

Thanks.

I would say search but i'll just explain it.

You won't pass visual with ANY of your mods (save for the catback - that's ok). Headers (save for shorties) are illeagal because they move the cats away from the engine, AIR and EGR must also be on the car if it was originally equipped with it. If you can find a 'lazy' smog shop (fat chance) to overlook those things and just plug in the sniffer (and you have no SES light), you'll be fine...
Old 01-15-2006, 01:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
I would say search
The old "search" answer!

It's a very vague question & parameter to even think of trying to do a search on when you think about it.

I see in your sig you have the !air & !egr yet you tell me I have to have them?
And you live where I was considering moving to, Anaheim Hills to be exact.

I'm not clear on what you mean when you write "(save for the catback - that's ok). Headers (save for shorties)".
I also have no codes & no SES as it was LS1edited out.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

EGR is one of the hardest things to get away with removing visually, since its so obvious.

Its pretty simple though, you have to have ALL of the stuff on it to pass 100% legally. What you can slip buy with really depends on how good the person inspecting it is, how fast you can talk, and whether you know any hookups.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:58 AM
Staging Lane

im sure u can find someone to pass you on the visual jus worry about the sniffer and try not to get pulled over.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old "search" answer!

It's a very vague question & parameter to even think of trying to do a search on when you think about it.
Not really, search "emissions" or "legal" or "headers" within the Western forum and you'll see this topic come up a few times a month, sometimes weekly.

I see in your sig you have the !air & !egr yet you tell me I have to have them?
And you live where I was considering moving to, Anaheim Hills to be exact.
He was answering your question, and the law is the same throughout California. Your headers and even the catted y you are considering are illegal.

I'm not clear on what you mean when you write "(save for the catback - that's ok). Headers (save for shorties)".
I also have no codes & no SES as it was LS1edited out.
Replace "save" with either "with the exception of" or "except".
Old 01-15-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

I've searched for this very topic in the past and found lots of stuff. The search will definately help answer your questions. Basically you will need to find a hookup or a very lazy place. Otherwise, it's not hard to tell you don't have your emission stuff hooked up and you have longtubes and aftermarket cats. You won't pass the visual like this. In CA you can run CARB legal shorties, a quiet catback and a Granetelli MAF. Off the top of my head, these are about the only "legal" mods. I just leave my smog stuff on because there's no "great" reason to delete them. I have ported 241's a stealthy cam, CARB legal shorties and magnaflow OBDII cats. Smog tests are a breeze this way. If you have a hookup, then you can get away with quite a bit here as long as you don't get pulled over.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the replies & insight guys.

I never thought of a forum only type search & this thinking of going out west just came up this week.
It's not a definite, but only the day before I posted did I start to wonder if my car would be legal out there & so I have to make sure if I do end up going, I have my car all set before I go, or just keep it registered in MA!

So I'd have to buy a new set of headers, catted Y, & get my car re-ls1 edit tuned before I head out so it'd be legal out there?

You guys have it rough when it comes to modding huh?

On the question of EGR, since 01/02's didn't come with it, how, would a shop know, if the EGR was removed or they had a car that it wasn't originally installed on?

Our local tuner did an excellent job of removing the items & now a head plate sits where the EGR solenoid was & I also now have an LS6 intake.

Here's my exhaust,

& here's my engine:
Old 01-15-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Nice looking engine bay! You're right we do have it bad here in CA. You should have a sticker in your engine bay that lists your smog equipment. They look at this sticker when you go to get smogged, so they can make sure everything is hooked up. If you tell them you have an 01/02 and that's why you don't have EGR, then you will need to have an approval sticker from a smog ref in your engine bay. If you don't have a ref sticker, they'll send you to a ref who will go over your car with a fine tooth comb and make you wish you would have just hooked up your egr in the first place. It would be alot easier to pass smog if you were to sell the longtubes and buy a stealthy heads and/or cam. If you find a hookup, then just disregard my post....
Old 01-15-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have Long Tube Headers and a Y-pipe w/o cats. I need to find a place that will pass me.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

hey butchn i live in anaheim hills too, well you dont but your thinking about it.... if you end up moving here i have a pretty good connection... idk about long tubes and passing with those, but i guarentee you that they will try and pass you with them... im seen some shady stuff there... pm me and ill let you know location
Old 01-16-2006, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

CA DMV looks at your vehicle real close when you first register it coming in from out of state. You can't get it registered without a visual, that I know of. Maybe this website will help.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....s-Jan_1993.htm
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by warpwr
CA DMV looks at your vehicle real close when you first register it coming in from out of state. You can't get it registered without a visual, that I know of. Maybe this website will help.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....s-Jan_1993.htm
Yep, they checked mine out good when I brought it in from TX. That smog equipment sticker that was mentioned earlier in this thread was specifically referenced by the DMV employee.

Your engine bay is far too clean to be an f-body in Cali! Looks great.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have that big *** sticker that is in the engine bay that shows where the EGR and all the smog equipment is. You could probably remove it but they have a book they look in that says what is supposed to be on the car.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:00 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, so it looks as if I'd be screwed trying to get my car inspected out there huh?

I was hoping that since we in MA use the same emissions standards that you guys do, aside from the strict visual, that my car would be OK when it hit the sniffer or dyno, or what ever you guys use.

And thanks for the clean engine bay compliments!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you can, don't register it out here. Keep your MA plates and reg info by using a family member's address (assuming you have family in MA).
Old 01-18-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the headers need a CARB Tag welded too them. I would say stick with out of state registration if you can.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

when i brought my car from chicago they didnt really look at my car very well . . he was a car guy too .. so he helped me out .. but ive heard of bad storys people getting screwed for no cats big fine. .
Old 01-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

...just to add how some guys can be real ****** out here... last week when i needed to smog my car, i was getting **** for my clear lid
Old 01-23-2006, 03:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
the headers need a CARB Tag welded too them. I would say stick with out of state registration if you can.
What's a CARB tag since we don't have to worry about that stuff out here?

I have been considering keeping the MA reg but when the inspection sticker expires I figured I'd still be "illegal".

That & I don't know if CA is strict on living there with out of state regs.

Sometimes a shitty neighbor is all one needs to turn you in for living there & not re-registering your car.

So may decisions, & the decision to move is still in the talks stages, but it is appearing more & more that we may be going out there sometime this year.

I really would hate to rip out my nice exhaust (I know I've gotta add cats for at least a visual incase of being stopped) & search for even non functioning egr/air stuff for smog appearance sake.