Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

smog inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smog inspection

I just got my car smogged at this place in Merced, CA and it only tooke about 15 minutes. I was waiting for them to get the car on the machine but they never got to it. From what I could tell all they did was an inspection, a gas cap test, and stuck what are probably oxygen sensors in the tailpipes and hooked up their computer to my diagnostic port.

So when I went to pay I asked the guy about it and he said that since my car is registered in a certain area, it doesn't need to go on the dyno. I asked him if he though it would pass with long tubes or some other kind of headers and he said it would pass, it just needs the carb #. He looked at me as if he wanted to tell me that he could just look the other way next time. I think I'll go back there in a couple of years.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98redM6
I just got my car smogged at this place in Merced, CA and it only tooke about 15 minutes. I was waiting for them to get the car on the machine but they never got to it. From what I could tell all they did was an inspection, a gas cap test, and stuck what are probably oxygen sensors in the tailpipes and hooked up their computer to my diagnostic port.

So when I went to pay I asked the guy about it and he said that since my car is registered in a certain area, it doesn't need to go on the dyno. I asked him if he though it would pass with long tubes or some other kind of headers and he said it would pass, it just needs the carb #. He looked at me as if he wanted to tell me that he could just look the other way next time. I think I'll go back there in a couple of years.
lucky... i just got my other car smogged and the stupid stingy piece of crap even checked my timing... of course it didn't pass
Old 03-14-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leftyteck
lucky... i just got my other car smogged and the stupid stingy piece of crap even checked my timing... of course it didn't pass

Timing? What kind of car did you take to get smogged?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

nissan 240sx
Old 03-14-2006, 06:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they have to check timing by law, so he is just going by the book.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
they have to check timing by law, so he is just going by the book.
yeah but out of all of my smogs, even at a test only before i've never had them actually do it

Quick Reply: smog inspection