Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

when is E85 coming to cali??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when is E85 coming to cali??

I have been doing some reading, and E85 fuel looks like some good stuff. its going to be cheaper, and also has about a 100 octane rating, so higher compressions and more resistanse to detonation. does anyone know when it is coming to california?? I am ******* sick of 91
Old 05-06-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

i wonder how that will smell with no cats
Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Launching!

it is supposed to smell much better than regular gas
Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wtf is E85? Any articles about it?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

It may have a higher octane rating, but you also sacrafice mpg. If I recall regular gas has lets say 1 btu but e85 only has a rating of .67 btu. The numbers aren't accurate but they are there for comparison sake.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by socal gto
It may have a higher octane rating, but you also sacrafice mpg. If I recall regular gas has lets say 1 btu but e85 only has a rating of .67 btu. The numbers aren't accurate but they are there for comparison sake.
Well yes you do, but by using E85 u will still save money at the pump that would outway the very small loss of milage
Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Wtf is E85? Any articles about it?
here ya go
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=E85
Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

e85 isnt profitible for cali, thats why back east they get higher octane fuel than us, they can afford it for their 500 population cities as opposed to a city with millions of people. they try to keep us down!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gangbang malloy
e85 isnt profitible for cali, thats why back east they get higher octane fuel than us, they can afford it for their 500 population cities as opposed to a city with millions of people. they try to keep us down!!!!!!
that is what I figured but I read that GM is signing something to help bring it to us
Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your an idiot, it has nothing to do with profits for the state, regardless of what gas you use you still pay state and federal tax, the State does not buy the fuel, but California does require a diffrent refinement process and the addition of oxygen to the fuel to keep it burning cleaner.

E85 fuel has appx 68% the btu energy of normal gasoline, meaning the engine will require 30% more fuel to make the same power. You will not acutally save any money in a performance application because you will be at the pump more often. for daily driving yes you will save money becuase the motor can safely run a bit leaner due to the increased octane.

the State would actually make more money because you are taxes .17 cents per gallon of gas.

E85 has to be approved by theEPA for use in califonia, however someone has to want to go through the process, i can guarantee you that Exon, Shell, BP, and the other won't push for it simply because they are not the ones producing the e85, why would they want to cut into their profits?

Give it some time and you will see more and more, currently there is on in Berkly and Bakersfield.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Teching In

i thought there was one at a ford dealership near el cajon????

As for E-85, it's not because they can't afford it. There is many ways they can make E-85 out here, just nobody does it because there is not that much interest in it, not much of a demand.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Old 05-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juiced
Your an idiot, it has nothing to do with profits for the state, regardless of what gas you use you still pay state and federal tax, the State does not buy the fuel, but California does require a diffrent refinement process and the addition of oxygen to the fuel to keep it burning cleaner.

E85 fuel has appx 68% the btu energy of normal gasoline, meaning the engine will require 30% more fuel to make the same power. You will not acutally save any money in a performance application because you will be at the pump more often. for daily driving yes you will save money becuase the motor can safely run a bit leaner due to the increased octane.

the State would actually make more money because you are taxes .17 cents per gallon of gas.

E85 has to be approved by theEPA for use in califonia, however someone has to want to go through the process, i can guarantee you that Exon, Shell, BP, and the other won't push for it simply because they are not the ones producing the e85, why would they want to cut into their profits?

Give it some time and you will see more and more, currently there is on in Berkly and Bakersfield.

wow we got a rocket sciencetist on our hands. last i recalled reading a article in the times about ethanol and methanol fuel alternatives in california. california currently has no near future plans to fund or even provide funding to alcohol based fuels or alcohol producing manufacturers as it is not found financially sound and production prices are greater than that of typical petroleum based fuels. yet back east they can manage the costs just fine!!!! and even in brazil by goverment mandate all gas stations must provide the option of having regular gas, diesel, and ethanol as a choice. thank you for playing
Old 05-07-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow we got a rocket sciencetist on our hands. last i recalled reading a article in the times about ethanol and methanol fuel alternatives in california. california currently has no near future plans to fund or even provide funding to alcohol based fuels or alcohol producing manufacturers as it is not found financially sound and production prices are greater than that of typical petroleum based fuels. yet back east they can manage the costs just fine!!!! and even in brazil by goverment mandate all gas stations must provide the option of having regular gas, diesel, and ethanol as a choice. thank you for playing

Not a rocket Scientist just a Civil Engineer that works with the EPA on a daily basis. I can tell you that it is not the the state government who does not want the fuel. They can choose not provide and sort of Grants or incentives (like hey did to the electric company) for people wanting to build refinery's in the state.

All fuels used in the state of california must meet a the requirements set forth by the EPA and california energy comission, If no one puts up the money for the testing then it will take alot longer for it to be approved for mass use. Currently in the state it is legal to use, Propane, LPG, Bio diesel and elctricity as an alternative fuel.

The State makes no Money on bio diesel, LPG, or Propane since there is not a transportation tax placed on it yet it is still allowed.

A Petrolium company cannot be forced to produce E85, they can claim it will cost them $1000 per gallon to produce it doesnt matter, Only thing that could be done would be to ban petroleum based fuels (wich will never happen due to the Gasoline lobby) Or have a FEDERAL mandate requiring that they offer the fuel as an option.

Just like not all stations are required to provide diesel, they all won't provide E85

Remember Journalist are Biased, until you get both sides i wouldn't open my mouth.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not a rocket Scientist just a Civil Engineer that works with the EPA on a daily basis. I can tell you that it is not the the state government who does not want the fuel. They can choose not provide and sort of Grants or incentives (like hey did to the electric company) for people wanting to build refinery's in the state.

All fuels used in the state of california must meet a the requirements set forth by the EPA and california energy comission, If no one puts up the money for the testing then it will take alot longer for it to be approved for mass use. Currently in the state it is legal to use, Propane, LPG, Bio diesel and elctricity as an alternative fuel.

The State makes no Money on bio diesel, LPG, or Propane since there is not a transportation tax placed on it yet it is still allowed.

A Petrolium company cannot be forced to produce E85, they can claim it will cost them $1000 per gallon to produce it doesnt matter, Only thing that could be done would be to ban petroleum based fuels (wich will never happen due to the Gasoline lobby) Or have a FEDERAL mandate requiring that they offer the fuel as an option.

Just like not all stations are required to provide diesel, they all won't provide E85

Remember Journalist are Biased, until you get both sides i wouldn't open my mouth.
alex you are so smart
Old 05-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Launching!

you are very well informed on this!! So what do you think the chances are of E85 being a fairly regular option within the next two years?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since all new Ford and GM cars come standard as flexi fuel vehicles, and more and more refinery's are being retrofitted to make E85 i can see City's like LA, San Diego and San Francisco being the first to receive accessible stations in the next 18 months, more rural areas much longer specially since the older gas stations will have to be retrofitted and/or they will have to add additional pumps witch in-itself adding pumps is a royal pain in the *** thanks to the EPA.

Quick Reply: when is E85 coming to cali??