Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tailgating.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgating.

Hello, everybody. I don't own an F-Body but would love to find a way to finance a WS6. I just turned 18 late Nov. Anyways, I was wondering how bad is a tailgating ticket? How does it affect driving record & insurance? I was driving Eastbound on the 10 near the 57 connector. As you may know the fwy is a bit downhill so everyone has to slow it down. I was driving down & braking since there were cars ahead of me. I was about a car length and a half away from a Ford Escape, the motorcycle chp pulled me over saying I was following too close. I got a letter if I want to pay 160 or fight it. Since the officer has no hard evidence that I was too close, it was just by his judgement, is it worth fighting? The ticket has no speeding charges but he wrote that I was driving 75 in a 65, when I was braking! =/. I'd like everyone's opinion on this, thanks.

- Edgar.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

that sucks but in court its his word against yours!and if its only 160$ its not bad it would be more expensive to go to court and miss work...time gas ect................the only way you win is if he dose not show up,ive been there too many times... good luck!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

search "trial by declaration" Best bet you have of winning.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

i wouldnt fight it becasue he put 75 in a 65.. if it were only tailgating you would most likly get off but not with speeding&tailgating i'd just pay the ticket can you do traffic school?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Teching In

He put those speeds in the conditions of the road but he never wrote down "Speeding". In the letter it says I can send a letter of declaration. What would that do for me?
Thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Either way you're gonna get dicked with insurance. You're 18 and want an F-body.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

You wont win if its his word vs yours. no matter what his word is worth more.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

IF you havent taken traffic school in 18 months do that it will keep the ticket off your record. If its been sooner than that I would go to court. Make sure your wearing at least a dress shirt and tie. If the officer shows up(most likely he will) tell the judge your story and ask if you can take traffic school, or ask if you can get the fine reduced etc tell the judge you see what you did wrong now after the officer told you want you did.
If the office doesnt show up it will be your lucky day.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking what would be best for me. This year has not been the best for me & I don't know why. Nov 17 I got another ticket for not stopping at a red light. I was making a right hand turn as the light was turning yellow & the officer put it as not stopping at a red. I looked up the points system & the red light is 6, while the tailing is 4. I'd rather use the traffic school with the red light. This really sucks bad.

Quick Reply: Tailgating.