Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

well i didn't pass smog...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well i didn't pass smog...

anyone know what the heck this stuff is? i have no ses lights on.
The print out says I failed
OBD CATALYST
OBD EVAP
OBD SEC AIR
OXY SNSR HEAT
Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
OBD CATALYST
OBD EVAP
OBD SEC AIR
OXY SNSR HEAT
Well the fact that you have LT's, !rear o2's, !egr, and !air eplains most of it. Don't know whats causing the EVAP though. You might have to tune those things out with something other than hypertech.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate smog!!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Did you have them all tuned out?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I had tuned them all out with my programmer. The only code that comes up when I run DTC is L-terminal circit.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I think I might know the problem. Before I left for vegas I reinstalled a tune, so I'm sure I didn't do all the stuff in the drive cycle. Is that stuff from the list just "not ready"?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hlaalu
OBD CATALYST
OBD EVAP
OBD SEC AIR
OXY SNSR HEAT
OBD CATALYST is probably because you have 3" hi-flow cats. They will pass a cop if he checks you, but technically they are not smog legal. You need to reinstall the originals to get it to correctly pass smog.

Sounds like to you need to reinstall a lot of stock items, or go to a smog station that will "look past" these problems.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did you even get that far?

Was Ray Charles doing the check?

Old 07-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Teching In

dam smog, I need to get my smog done too, just got it a few days ago. My buddy has some LT's for me too, so I need to hurry and go pass so I can get them installed chea.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Az Ftmfw
Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

so if you still had air, egr, rear o2's, and some real cats with no evap code he would have passed you even with longtubes?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what surprised me.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
That's what surprised me.
haha i wanted to make sure i was not the only person thinking that, maybe it is worth a drive up north when smog season rolls around.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

sorry guys i didn't mention im getting smogged in nevada. they didnt even do a visual. i figured out the reason i didn't pass. i reprogrammed my car before the night before i went to get it tested so my car didnt go through a drive cycle yet. stupid mistake by me.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got your drive cycle right here, buddy..
Originally Posted by http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.
To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:
  • Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
  • Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
  • Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
  • Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  • Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
  • Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
  • Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
  • Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
Reprinted on OBDII web site courtesy of General Motors Corporation
© General Motors Corporation
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Launching!

so i uh know a guy who knows a guy...... pm if u need
Old 07-18-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i got your drive cycle right here, buddy..
yea i just got from a long drive around lake mead doing that stuff ill try again tomorrow, hopefully i pass this time.

Originally Posted by SnakesRslow
so i uh know a guy who knows a guy...... pm if u need
is he in las vegas or cali?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plain and simple.....your PCM says your smog crap is not working. Make sure all your smog stuff is hooked up and working and is being monitored by the PCM. Disabling the smog stuff on these LS motors does not gain anything.......only trouble.
I pass my smog (OBD II) test with flying colors every year in NV.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by highgear
Plain and simple.....your PCM says your smog crap is not working. Make sure all your smog stuff is hooked up and working and is being monitored by the PCM. Disabling the smog stuff on these LS motors does not gain anything.......only trouble.
I pass my smog (OBD II) test with flying colors every year in NV.
People pass all the time with tunned out smog stuff. He just needs to complete a drive cycle and he should pass.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:17 PM
8 Second Club

I'm just happy the highway roll racing ****** crew made it over here. Hopefully we can meat up and let them show us their vtaks. The coolest part about roll racing is when you get shut the **** up poser ricer roll race queers. Any sub 2800lb car that makes 500whp is ******* stupid because its undrivable on a real track, which you'll never see because you don't have a real job. I highly recommend that you make a plan for your life, or you're going to be a virgin for all eternity. You should start by moving out of your grandmother's basement. Next I recommend an extreme amount of cardio, and its probably not a bad idea to buy a razor and cut off the internet connection. You should also probably stop masturbating so much with that death grip if you're ever going to get you're baby dick half hard at the first sight of a woman you may possibly have a chance of communicating with. However, most importantly, don't get your hopes up because I'm pretty much everything every woman on earth wants, you're the compromise. I'm strong, sexy, intelligent, hung, affluent, cultured, and I'll be the one you hate, the one you want to be so bad, the one you'll thank in 5-years when you get there and look back on this post and thank me for showing you the things that you daddy never did. I believe in you son, its time to be a man.

Quick Reply: well i didn't pass smog...