What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

I think I am getting ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think I am getting ripped off

Hey, this is my first time posting here and I really need your opinion. Do your good deed for the day and help me out please.

I have a 1995 Chevrolet Camaro named Betsy it has 80,000 miles, an M5 tranny, a 3.4l v6, pacesetter headers, CAI, window tint, cd headunit, short shifter and Grant GT steering wheel. It was already in rough running condition when I bought it and it has some very minor body damage and paint coming off. It sat for months after I bought a trans am and then went to college.

When I came back, it wouldn't start. I changed the oil, oil filter and a few other things, but it still wouldn't start. With starter fluid it would almost crank, but never fully start. I don't know if my friend cranked it too much and killed it because now the engine will do nothing at all. I thought it was probably the fuel pump. Everything else works in the car ie. lights, radio.

Now I have to sell it and this guy who is letting me keep it at his house is offering me $200. He keeps lowering his offer. First it was $1,000 and after he hooked it up to a scanner or something he said the car's computer was not working and it would be at least $800 for a used one. A week ago he was offering me $350 and today it was $200...He has a 79 camaro with a 305 that he is going to implant into my Camaro if I sell it to him.

I am not too savy when it comes to knowing what to do with things like this. I really need some cash to study abroad and $200 will not go far. I feel like it would rape me to let it go for that. What do you guys think? Please help a brother out. Parting it out is really not an option. I am located in Eustis, Florida 32726 if anybody here is looking for a project car. I am not looking to make serious bank on this...I just want both parties(seller and buyer) to walk away happy.

Kelley blue book put the car at $2,760 in fair condition which means

Some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition.
Clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional.
Tires may need to be replaced.
There may be some repairable rust damage.
It is not in fair condition since it won't start right now, but it is not so poor to justify the DRASTICALLY lower price. I feel somewhat obligated to sell to this guy since he has let me keep my car at his house for a couple months and is a friend of the family, but he is not a close friend and I feel that I am being lowballed. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bruce
Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 454 Likes on 329 Posts

Doesn't sound like a very nice 'friend'. I thought rollers were always worth at least $1,000 if not more unless it is totally shot.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do what you feel is right.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cliff
Do what you feel is right.
Well said. I want the money, but I also don't want to feel cheated because I let it go for nothing and I don't want this 'friend' to feel like I am ripping him off.

I would def not say it is totally shot. It still has some potential.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man long time since i last talked with you but I must say if the body is in good shape and he interior in decent shape I wouldnt take less than 1k for it I am sure you could sell it for that atleast. also what school did you end up with man?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey bro. It has been a long time. How is the gf? If I remember correctly, she was looking to get a f-body, right? I couldn't afford out-of-state tuition right now so I went to a school called Southeastern University in Lakeland, FL. It is a small, private school, but pretty cheap considering it was private. I really procrastinated and it was pretty much the only place I could still get in. When I say procrastinated, I mean I applied to the school 3 days before the semester started. Hahaa. I met some great people and learned some junk too.

You still at Towsend or did you transfer to UMD?

BTW the interior is in kinda bad condition and the body is a little banged up...I am going to try and get at least $600. The guy has let me keep it at his house for thee months, I guess I have to take it into consideration....even though I know he is pretty much doing it because he wants to bang my mom. :l
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Post up pictures.

With no drivetrain, a body is still worth $600-800 to someone wanting to build a race car.

At $200, you could wheel it to a scrap yard and get more out of it.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Funny thing, you leave the car at this guys house and now it doesn't run

He tries to scan the computer but can't and says it wil take $800 to fix

and THEN he offers you $200 to "take it off your hands"

JESUS CHRIST man wake up and smell the **** that guy is spreadin'

The headers alone are almost worth what he is offering!!

Get a second opinion on the car, get it fixed, and oh yeah find better friends to hang out with
Old 08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
hey bro. It has been a long time. How is the gf? If I remember correctly, she was looking to get a f-body, right? I couldn't afford out-of-state tuition right now so I went to a school called Southeastern University in Lakeland, FL. It is a small, private school, but pretty cheap considering it was private. I really procrastinated and it was pretty much the only place I could still get in. When I say procrastinated, I mean I applied to the school 3 days before the semester started. Hahaa. I met some great people and learned some junk too.

You still at Towsend or did you transfer to UMD?

BTW the interior is in kinda bad condition and the body is a little banged up...I am going to try and get at least $600. The guy has let me keep it at his house for thee months, I guess I have to take it into consideration....even though I know he is pretty much doing it because he wants to bang my mom. :l

she still has her 02 firebird but im still looking for a v8 for her. everything else is pretty much the same on my end man. good to hear you got into a decent school and we demand pictures lol. also anything else done to your car?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

I'd say you could get at least $1000.

People are always looking for rollers to turn into race cars.

I'd list the car on this site and try and sell it for a better price.

Good luck,

~Jim~
Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, Jim. I think I may just list it on this site.
Z28mccroy, as corny as it may be, I really would rather let it go for less money and give it to a good owner than junk it out. Still, that is a good point you made.

Originally Posted by transamsam98
she still has her 02 firebird but im still looking for a v8 for her. everything else is pretty much the same on my end man. good to hear you got into a decent school and we demand pictures lol. also anything else done to your car?
At least she is driving an f-body. Thanks, it is a pretty good school filled with some really awesome people. Glad to hear you are doing well.

As for what I have done to the Trans Am...I have a ton of mods...only problem is that none of them are on the car. lol. As much as I would hate to, I may have to sell everything. But I hope and pray not.

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Funny thing, you leave the car at this guys house and now it doesn't run

He tries to scan the computer but can't and says it wil take $800 to fix

and THEN he offers you $200 to "take it off your hands"

JESUS CHRIST man wake up and smell the **** that guy is spreadin'

The headers alone are almost worth what he is offering!!

Get a second opinion on the car, get it fixed, and oh yeah find better friends to hang out with
Despite what you may think, I am not a complete idiot. He is not my 'friend' just somebody my family knows and he does plumbing for us and such.

The car was not running before it went to his house. I had to get the car out of my driveway because somebody complained that I had a car in my driveway with no license plate and the city was going to ticket me. The guy likes my Mom and offered to let me keep it at his house, most likely to impress her. I had nowhere else to put it so....

I am not saying the guy isn't full of it. I obviously thought something is wrong or I wouldn't have started this thread.

I will definitely get a second opinion and I will try to get some recent pics.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

I wasn't implying that you were an idiot, sometimes it just helps to get an outsiders opinion on a situation especially when there aren't any other influences involved aka hot moms

Seriously though tell the guy to pound sand, he is obviously trying to take advantage of your situation.

Counter offer with $1K and a date with your mom
Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

yup sell it at bluebook bro
Old 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

hey, i got the best idea. get your mom to flirt with him to offer you 5 or 600 bucks. then take the money and run. with your mom.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

i would go with 1,500 bucks cause the car is basically a roller

Quick Reply: I think I am getting ripped off