What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Hopefully Purchasing an LS1-- Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Hopefully Purchasing an LS1-- Need Advice!

Hey guys this is my first post on the forum and was looking for some good insight from some well informed people here!

I'm currently looking at a 1998 LS1 Camaro Z28 with a decent amount of mods done to it. I'm looking for a car that i can drive daily and take it to the track every once in a while.
Here is the mod list :

Speed pro coated pistons
ARE stage II heads
cometic head gaskets
ARP rod and head bolts
TSP 228 hyd roller cam
LS7 lifters
LS6 intake ported TB and 85mm mass air
28lb injectors
1 3/4 long tube headers 4"magnaflow exhaust
T-56 with viper internals,Tick perf complete hydralic setup,Monster stage 5 clutch/plate and SFI flywheel
Moser 12 bolt with 3.73gears girdle cover 4channel ABS
Weld prostars with ET street radials
UMI torque arm,BMR frame connectors and control arms
QA1 adjustable shocks all the way around

The guy seemed to cover all the weak points and good things to upgrade on the F-body so it makes me feel a bit better... he says the cars never been hit no rust never winter driven, the mods on the car have recently been done to the motor and theres barely any driving on it cause he hasnt had the time around 1000-1500km of driving on fresh motor and trans. Car has 171000km but he said all highway from previous owner cause he traveled Canada and has all dealer reports of servicing on the car before he bought it and put the stuff in and refreshed the motor at 150000km drove it for one summer and parked it.

He is asking 8500$ for it cause of some personal reason.

So my question to u guys is what should i look for, what should i ask etc and help is great and i really appreciate it.
Just want to make sure i can score a good deal with no catches or anything.

Thanks for looking, i appreciate it !
Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have a pic?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Yes i do have a picture ...
Attached Thumbnails Hopefully Purchasing an LS1-- Need Advice!-z28.jpeg  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice car. id offer 7500 and go from there. someone cant really expect to make money back from a build necessarily but it seems a fair price. drive it and let your heart decide if shes for you.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Launching!

My only thought would be stage 5 clutch on a daily driver? Not sure I would pick that car to be a daily driver if that is your intent
Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

I'm not going to get into the aspect of buying a higher mileage car with lots of mods again. My suggestion is to spend a solid 8 hours reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts here about 'money pit' cars. After doing so, then decide if you want to spend your hard earned $$$ on one.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah my main rule is never buy a modded car for a dd, it looks clean though, and has some pricey parts on there, would be a nice buy for a toy but no one would i buy it for every day driving, i think these cars suck for dd, imo there just toys lol
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

So .. you guys think its too molested ? Lol, it seems like a good deal I'm coming out of a 2010 Camaro cause i can't afford it right now cause of the financial state I'm in.... So I am getting rid of it and want to get into a nice car with a little work done so I'm not constantly thinking to mod lol i dont know I'm going to go look at it today just to look no final decisions will be made just check it over see if everything is straight and as said.

I appreciate your guys advice, any more insight on maybe why a car like this could be that bad Lol ?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Try to get the price down to $7500-8000.

As far as the mods, you're fine. All the stuff done to it will never break if you daily drive the car. Cars break when you beat on them. Drag racing is extremely hard on a driveline, especially if you have tires that hook. So if something breaks at the track, you chose to race your car, and you know the consequences.

Most stock cars break very easily at the track. My brother broke two trannys and a rear on with a bolt-on 2000 Mustang 4.6. This was on the street with regular tires.

The built trans and rear on this car are a huge benefit, so take advantage of it.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks appreciate all your guys input!

I went to go check out the car today... it looked pretty darn good, everything was done well car underneath is clean it also has a chromoly drive shaft b&m short shifter, i drove it around and the clutch wasn't really bad at all no chatter anything. Engine sounded healthy, had full cats and EGR ... custom done EGR for the LS6 Intake manifold was a plus for emission laws. probably needed a re-tune just to freshen it up needed rear mickey T tires, but small issues. driver seat had a rip but not worried about it either. drove good no issues gave er a little and she came too. well see how the rest pans out! Man do i love that american v8 ls1 sound