What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

01 WS6 6 speed convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 01 WS6 6 speed convertible

This car is for sale right now, 12k miles for $22,780. Except for the aftermarket radio, the car looks flawless in the pics. It's a real WS6 because it has the RPO code on the sticker. But it doesn't have the air pump seats which is unusual since almost all, even regular Trans Ams have them. RPO code for air seats is AQ9, so I assume code AR9 is for the non-air seats.

The term gets thrown around a lot, but this car is rare, and in good condition with low mileage. Asking price seems a little high, but - what's it worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...item19d4762034
Attached Thumbnails 01 WS6 6 speed convertible-ar9-seats-no-air-bladders.jpg   01 WS6 6 speed convertible-01-ws6-vin-2g2fv32g412118029-no-aq9-nw9-u1s.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

As we know there are definite 'premiums' involved with very low mileage cars like this WS6 convertible and this dealership is about $2,000 over 'retail pricing'. Typical for a dealership but there is one BIG red flag about this particular car and they better be able to answer the question fully, and when I say fully, I mean documentation.
"Why are there 5 owners on a 12,000 miles car??"
No way should there be 5 owners for a car with these miles. It would mean each owner was a 'weekend warrior' only and never drove the car. What are the odds on this in just 11 short years and for each owner to get tired of the car so quickly? Unfortunately, from my experience, and this is rather rare, it indicates a problem with the car that the GM dealerships can not figure out. It happens. It is baffling and unexplainable and why the lemon laws were written many years back. The original owner just dumped the car back on the dealership or elsewhere in lieu of filing the lemon law paperwork, thusly the car is being passed around from owner to owner with the problem never getting resolved.
I'll make a bet that this car was obtained from an auction and has no history or paperwork, having been passed around from state to state and auction to auction. A Carfax would be absolutely critical in this case and even then I would inquire a lot further, insisting on talking with at least one of the 5 prior owners. (Ebay's Autocheck, although helpful, is flawed in many instances and doesn't provide some of the nitty gritty details). This is way too much $$ to take anything for granted. One or two owner 2002 CETA cars with this same mileage are priced very close by.
If you proceed, be very careful here and do thorough homework. Maybe there is a valid reason for this anomaly but it better be better than 'someone's word', especially a salesman.

Last edited by NC01TA; 08-28-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Stressed some wording

Quick Reply: 01 WS6 6 speed convertible