What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

I think I found her-Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I think I found her-Opinions Please

I'm looking at purchasing a 2002 WS6, black on black, manual, clean car with none of the typical issues (cracked dash, split leather, leaky tops etc.) The owner claims the car is immaculate and that he is the third owner. The only "mods" he has mentioned are: basani exhaust and 90 millimeter throttle body, K&N Filter with SLP air box lid. (A Plus for me so I have a clean slate to work with instead of battling someone else's botched installs, been there done that). Odometer reading a little over 120,000 asking price is $9800. I'm thinking $9K cash in hand. I am a little over zealous because I have been looking for a '02 B/B WS6 for a long time and this one is BEAUTIFUL!
Planning on ordering a Carfax before I make the 300 mile trip. OPINIONS PLEASE-what do you think? Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

My experience tells me that true "immaculate" condition is not possible for an unrestored 12 year old car with 120k miles and 3 previous owners. So depending on how picky you are and your personal definition of immaculate/mint (which shouldn't be subjective but unfortunately is), it may or may not be worth a 300 mile trip to look at. Also keep in mind that black is not a forgiving color, so all the imperfections that have been gathered over those 120k miles will be more visable than on a car of a different color.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hate to see people travel a bunch of miles just to be disappointed by an overstated ad from a seller. You need to be prepared for a less than perfect car with that many miles and several owners. If this is acceptable to you and will still meet your goals, then by all means go check it out.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:51 AM
Teching In

I totally agree, it is subjective. I definitely want black though. I have wanted one for the last 14 years, now I don't have much to lose The price still seems fair but a little on the high side due to the mileage. Do you agree? Thank you for your response.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the price is a bit high. And I agree with RPM on the condition issues. You need to control your enthusiasm, I know that can be hard, when you look at it. Look at it with a critical eye for any problems or flaws. If any that you find are not deal breakers use them as leverage to lower haggle the price lower. Start low offer lower than you think its worth. Don't be afraid of insulting the seller with a really low offer. Try to get the seller to lower his price first. Ask him what's his best cash price and see it he will come down some then make you counter offer. Like I said start low you can go up but its almost impossible for you to go down once you state a price.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems a little high priced for the mileage. I wouldnt take anything for granted until you or somebody you know gets to put hand on the car. Sounds odd for that many miles not to have the usual issues...
Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 540 Likes on 387 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

$9,000 is too much $$ for a 120,000 miles car. No matter what the owner says, you will have thousands more into it within 2 years time, and I'm not talking mods, just needs and repairs. Be careful!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

So what would you offer for it??
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$6500.00
Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 540 Likes on 387 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you have $9,000 cash in hand I would keep looking. Even if you could get this car for a good deal, like $6,500 or so, you will still have some ownership negatives down the road. There is just no escaping it. If you are OK with that, and expect 'shop time' as past of the experience, then fine.
I'll just add this tidbit, and it depends how you feel about cars. I want my car to be perfect, which means a fully detailed car in which every mechanical feature works as the factory made it. I've owned mine since new and the job gets tougher as time passes despite the hours and $$ spent on it. My T/A has 39k miles now and is always garage kept. Yes, it's still in excellent condition but I can't even imagine what it would be like with another 80,000 miles on it, which is the car (120,000 miles) you are talking about. Even if the seller was **** like me, I just see problems down the road. These cars are wonderful but they wear down like any other, and you want a good ownership experience. As I said before, be careful. That $9k cash will buy you an F-body where the asking prices are around $11,000. Be patient if you want a certain color. One will come along. You may not find it in SC but you will if you expand your search to FL and north to VA. My last two cars were each purchased 500 miles away. It was worth every dime of gas, motels, fast food. Getting full info from the seller, which includes several phone calls, many photos, Carfax, etc... will prevent you from wasting a trip. Good sellers will work with you.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Thank you all...That deal doesn't seem right, so I am still looking. Thank you all so much for your input!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Kris, keep us updated with any other cars you find. Hoping the right one comes along soon

Quick Reply: I think I found her-Opinions Please