What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 WS6 / Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 WS6 / Good deal?

Hello, I am currently looking for a 4th gen WS6. I have looked at them on a regular basis for a couple of years. I have always wanted one with lower miles that has been treated like a classic since it was new. Most of the ones like this I'd find were 16k or more. I have come across one that I am very interested in. It's a 2000 pewter WS6 / 6 speed coupe with 56,000 miles. I ran the Carfax on it and it is clean. All the records on it are normal maint. The car is all stock except for the cat back exhaust and a different set of wheels. Engine and tranny are untouched. I have been told that the pewter ones are not as desireable because of the color and are generally cheaper. I like the pewter so that is not an issue for me. I talked to the guy and he said he would take 11k for it. I am going to look at it on Saturday morning. From the research I've done I think this is a heck of a deal as long as the car is in as nice of shape as it looks and the guy told me it is. I asked the question to a guy on another forum who is much more knowledgable than me about these cars and he says if I like the pewter that it is a fair deal but its way more than he would pay for a pewter one. I am just looking for opinions and advice. What do you guys think about that price, maybe others have bought one recently and don't mind sharing what they have paid. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Wow, 42 reads and no one has an opinion?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If he is willing to take $11K then offer $9.5K and go from there
If all the documentation is good and the car is clean, no mechanical issues, nice paint, good tires, etc. then its worth $10K all day long
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Agreed^^^^^ It's still fairly low miled and was likely cared for well if it's mostly stock. A pewter car won't bring in the same money, but if you like it and it's solid.....

Have cash in your hand - as much as you are willing to spend. Pick out any issues with it. How long has it been for sale?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Agreed^^^^^ It's still fairly low miled and was likely cared for well if it's mostly stock. A pewter car won't bring in the same money, but if you like it and it's solid.....

Have cash in your hand - as much as you are willing to spend. Pick out any issues with it. How long has it been for sale?
Its been up for sale for 2 months. Started at 13k, dropped to 12k a couple weeks ago. I called him and asked what he would take and he said 11k. I am going to look at it on Saturday. Thanks for reply
Old 08-06-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

not sure if you live in a northern state where we store our cars over the winter , you might get a better deal closer to fall. if you like the car and its mechanically in good shape i'd offer 9k then tell him you'll have to think about it and try to raise more cash by asking mom (sad story). work your way upto 10k but that would be my max. look for pinion seal leak , listen to the engine at idol for piston slap ticking then get puzzled look and ask if thats normal (which it is) should go away as soon as you start revving TB. goodluck man!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

hardbones is correct, it is worth about $10,000, on average. If you keep looking and are patient then you probably could find one cheaper, but it may be too far away from you and then you have to add transport costs.

If you really like it and it seems like it fits your needs and desires, then $11,000 is not a bad price either. If you are happy with the deal then you won't be sitting around later kicking yourself because you may have spent $1000 or $1500 too much, it's not too much if it is what you want. Low miles, mostly stock, probably hasn't been raced or hammered on, buy that sucker!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm certainly not a believer in the "theory" that pewter cars by definition bring a price deduction. I care about the car's mechanical and cosmetic condition....not so much the color of the paint. If the paint is excellent with no bubbles or peeling, the door panels are minimally cracked, interior is stain-free, etc. then odds are you have a fairly well kept car...pewter or otherwise. You see red and black cars all the time. Pewter, silver, white, and blue are a change of pace. $11K is about as cheap as you will find one of these with <60K miles. The only other one I've seen recently was a white 2001 automatic with 32K miles for $12K. If the car is decent and you can get it for $10K-$11K you did well. It's not that easy to find cars with 100K-120K miles for under $10K. And if you had a pewter 2000 with 10K one owner miles, you'd have a ton of people interested in the $15K to $17K range. There might be other reasons why this particular car is not selling.

If you wanted a value on this car you'd have gotten a response within 24 hrs on the WIW section of the classifieds. Carfax doesn't always list important maintenance...only what gets reported. If you can run your VIN number by your local GM/Chevy service manager you might find out more on the car's maintenance history. How many owners?

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-06-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
not sure if you live in a northern state where we store our cars over the winter , you might get a better deal closer to fall. if you like the car and its mechanically in good shape i'd offer 9k then tell him you'll have to think about it and try to raise more cash by asking mom (sad story). work your way upto 10k but that would be my max. look for pinion seal leak , listen to the engine at idol for piston slap ticking then get puzzled look and ask if thats normal (which it is) should go away as soon as you start revving TB. goodluck man!
I hear what your saying but with this guy's situation the time to strike is now I think. He is only selling it because he is going back to school this fall and needs the money. I didn't put that in my original post which would have been some good info I suppose. Yes I am in MN so if this one doesn't work out I will keep looking through the fall.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I'm certainly not a believer in the "theory" that pewter cars bring a price deduction. I care about the car's mechanical and cosmetic condition....not so much the color of the paint. If the paint is excellent with no bubbles or peeling, the door panels are minimally cracked, interior is stain-free, etc. then odds are you have a fairly well kept car...pewter or otherwise. You see red and black cars all the time. Pewter, silver, white, and blue are a change of pace. $11K is about as cheap as you will find one of these with <60K miles. The only other one I've seen recently was a white 2001 automatic with 32K miles for $12K. If the car is decent and you can get it for $10K-$11K you did well. It's not that easy to find cars with 100K-120K miles for under $10K.

If you wanted a value on this car you'd have gotten a response within 24 hrs on the WIW section of the classifieds.
Thanks for the reply, I like to ask for people's opinions because what people ask for these cars is all over the place. Right now on craiglist in my state there is another pewter one a 2002 coupe with 26,000 miles and he is asking 17.5K. There is a 2002 coupe in silver with 57,000 miles the guy is asking 22k. I looked up the value on NADA classic cars, KBB, and Edmunds and they are all different too. I agree with you about the pewter but that's just because I happen to think it looks really nice on these cars.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Launching!

11k is a fair price, not a deal. I would offer a little less and go from there. It does sound like a well maintained car, if it checks out.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghardester
hardbones is correct, it is worth about $10,000, on average. If you keep looking and are patient then you probably could find one cheaper, but it may be too far away from you and then you have to add transport costs.

If you really like it and it seems like it fits your needs and desires, then $11,000 is not a bad price either. If you are happy with the deal then you won't be sitting around later kicking yourself because you may have spent $1000 or $1500 too much, it's not too much if it is what you want. Low miles, mostly stock, probably hasn't been raced or hammered on, buy that sucker!
Thanks for reply, I am mostly leaning in that direction. I'd be happy with it at 11k, I'd feel really good about it at 10k
Old 08-06-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

im old school , money talks bs walks! again goodluck! ps dang i know a guy with a black vert ws6 with only 30k something milage maybe i should buy it if there worth that much (completely stock).

Last edited by DANOZ28; 08-06-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Autotrader has 295 Pontiac F bodies (LS1) for sale across the nation. It's a good source for what people are asking....not necessarily what they are getting. I did a search for all the '98-'02 Pontiac V8's with <60K miles priced at <$12K. A total of 3 cars across the nation. 1% of the total available are priced this way. And NONE of them are WS6's. You have the 1 out of 295. $11K is more than a fair deal for a decent car. If you can nibble it down, even better. Do factor in if it needs new tires, window or head light motors, fluid changes, suspension, exhaust, or AC system maintenance. That could run you $1,000-$2,000. If the car has been beat on no price is a deal.

The other 2 Pewter cars mentioned above are over market. A 2002 with 26K miles is a bit too much imo at $17,500. For only 30K miles difference you can save $6,500 which car is the far better deal? A very nice 30K mile 2002 WS6 vert is generally worth around $18K. Same car in a 2000 would be $16K. Nicely maintained WS6's priced right don't last long. Problem is, 90% of sellers don't price them right. KBB and NADA both underprice these cars when mileage is <65K or so. Edmunds is another $1,000-$2,000 lower than those guys. Finding a WS6 in the middle of the 45K-75K mile range is not that easy. From what I can recall seeing most of the listings are for cars under 45K or over 75K miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/cars+under+12000/Pontiac/Firebird/East+Lyme+CT-06333?endYear=2002&engineCode=8CLDR&engineCodes=8C LDR&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&makeCode1=P ONT&maxMileage=60000&maxPrice=12000&mmt=[PONT[FBIRD[]][]]&modelCode1=FBIRD&photosOnlyActual=true&pricesOnly =true&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0&showcaseO wnerId=0&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1998&Log =0

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-06-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Late to the game on this one but some excellent advice posted here overall. I'm not buying into this pewter discount theory though, not at all. Maybe pewter cars move more slowly than other colors but a discount? Never heard that one in over 18 years of F-body ownership, and seeing literally hundreds of definitive sales over that time. Certain colors can draw premiums but not discounts.
As most everyone has stated, $11k is certainly a fair price for a 2000 WS6 6- speed with those miles if non-abused, and not owned by too many people. If you can get it for less, great!!
Good luck with it. I hope it checks out and drives just the way you want. Make sure that clutch and tranny feel right. That can get expensive. If something isn't right, walk away or get the price down further to 'fix' what's wrong. Tires are a consideration too if they are needed. Helps with negotiations when a new set is $600+. Check the date codes on the sidewall even if the tread is somewhat decent.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 PM

I really appreciate all the feedback here. All that's left to do is go check it out. I will comeback and let you guys know what I find, good or bad.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Well guys I checked out the car on Saturday morning. It was what he said it was. Very clean, very nice shape. Underneath the car was clean, looked like it has never been driven in the winter time or even in the rain hardly. It has your normal couple dings and knicks on a 14 year old car but nothing you notice unless your looking really close. Inside looks like new still except for the door panel crack on the passenger door in the usual spot. We agreed on a price of $10,500. I will be picking up the car some time in the next couple of days. When I get it and get it shined up I will post some pictures of it. Can't wait, thanks again for the thoughts and advice.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Congratulations!! We are very happy for you. Yes, please post some photos when you get the chance. Nice going
Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 AM

Couple teaser pics. I know its hard to see but does anyone recognize the wheels that are on it? Unfortunately he doesn't have the stock ones anymore
Attached Thumbnails 2000 WS6 / Good deal?-ws6-1.jpg   2000 WS6 / Good deal?-ws6-2.jpg   2000 WS6 / Good deal?-trans-am-ws6.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finn5033
Couple teaser pics. I know its hard to see but does anyone recognize the wheels that are on it? Unfortunately he doesn't have the stock ones anymore
Those black wheels look nice against pewter. With 56K and only $10.5K it's fine as is. When these cars eventually get "retired" no one is going to care what color it was. If it runs nice and looks good that's what matters. By getting in this car right it's exactly the right color....the color of money. The 1998's to 2000's are very nearly fully depreciated now if the miles stay steady.

Per Autotrader there were no LS1 Firebirds offered nationwide at <$12K and <60K miles....out of hundreds of cars. You just found one...and a WS6 to boot. In the under $13K/60K miles category there were 2 WS6's....neither is a 6 speed, and one has a reconstructed title. Decent M6's in this price range aren't that easy to find. You could have spent a year or more trying to find one local to you that was actually buyable. Nice job.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/cars+under+13000/Pontiac/Firebird/East+Lyme+CT-06333?endYear=2002&engineCode=8CLDR&engineCodes=8C LDR&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&makeCode1=P ONT&maxMileage=60000&maxPrice=13000&mmt=[PONT[FBIRD[]][]]&modelCode1=FBIRD&photosOnlyActual=true&pricesOnly =true&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=0&showcaseO wnerId=0&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1998&Log =0

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 WS6 / Good deal?