Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

So I go to NTB today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 804 Likes on 613 Posts

Default So I go to NTB today...

to get 2 275/40/17 tires I bought from Tire Rack mounted and they tried to charge me $40 each for mounting and balancing So I told them I got 2 mounted and balanced at another store for $20 each (true story). They "lowered" the price to $20. Watch out, some stores try to rip off owners of 17 inch wheels or larger.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No some stores dont know how to follow pricing policy.
I wouldnt have mounted them for 20 (I dont work at NTB), well maybe mounted but not balanced. If its not worth 40 bucks to you then do it yourself. Wait thats right you cant.

If your good at mounting that size isnt bad, but its not a darn 196/60./15.

You didnt get ripped off the second time, you got lucky the first time. Thats a problem with auto chains, service advisors between stores dont follow pricing policy the same way.

Seems liek people always want stuff for free or get mad when they THINK someone is charging to much, dont forget a business is there to make money, they cant do that and give **** away for free.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I just get good deals but I've never paid $20 to have one tire mounted and balanced
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

No NTB are thieves. And yes I have mounted 17s before Not hard. 22s and up are pain at times. And off road tires do come back for frequent balancing. NTB and most tire chains that supposed to specialize in alignment suck at it also. Not generalizing your shop. But a lot around Austin and San Antonio over charge simple jobs.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

They will also charge you more when you don't buy the products from them. I have seen it double in price if you bring your own tires and wheels into a store.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats why family owns a rim and tire shop lol , free mount and balance woot lol
Old 04-01-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah NTB is definitely high in price. Been there done that...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tillery
No NTB are thieves. And yes I have mounted 17s before Not hard. 22s and up are pain at times. And off road tires do come back for frequent balancing. NTB and most tire chains that supposed to specialize in alignment suck at it also. Not generalizing your shop. But a lot around Austin and San Antonio over charge simple jobs.
Its not my shop I dont work for NTB. And as far as alignments go its not the shop its the tech. Dont go to a shop go to a mechanic. What I mean, is know your mechanic and go to him, dont go to NTB because its NTB, find you a good *** tech (they work in all different places) and go to him regardless of where he works. Its pays off.

I know a L1 that works at an NTB, and he is one of the best mechanics I ever met, he does aftermarket, or stock, he doesnt care, does high end luxury, in fcat one of his regulars is a classic Rolls owner, hes even done exotic stuff (most lambos, only a few ferraris 355s and 360s).

And about being charged more if you dont buy there products, its not just NTB, its most chains.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 804 Likes on 613 Posts

First off there is no difference between mounting a 205/50/15 and a 275/40/17-they both have a similar height sidewall and are both mounted on the same machine. Heck, if someone can't mount a 17 inch tire they shouldn't be working at NTB or any other tire shop.

Secondly, I've been informed that Tire Rack and NTB have a pricing agreement for mounting and balancing at $19.50. So, if you're a Tire Rack customer remember to tell them.

Thirdly, $40 to mount and balance a tire is a rip off-especially if the customer is getting an alignment done. (And I should know, I used to work at NTB)

Quick Reply: So I go to NTB today...