Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

buying used stock eagle f1s, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default buying used stock eagle f1s, have a few questions

I'm looking to buy a set of 4 used eagle f1 gs tires off a 2001 camaro ss. They are the original tires that came with the car. The owner says he pulled them off when the car had 4000-5000 miles on it and stored them in his garage. Now being they are this old, I checked to make sure they didnt have any dry rot and that the rubber was still soft, which all checked out.

Now on to the price... he posted the ad for 235 bucks. When I checked them out, he wanted 235 PER TIRE :O. I let him know they werent worth that, being 9 year old tires. I offered him 150 for all 4 and he said he was going to do some research to see what they were really worth and would call me back if what i was saying was correct. Anyways, assuming he does call me back, what are the tires worth, if anything? Thanks.

Jim
Old 12-02-2010, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

The current recommendations are that tires should be less than 6 years old when they are put into service and 10 years old max before they are replaced. Unless they are for a restored show car that is going to be a trailer queen, there is no way I would buy tires that old. As for the price $230 each would just about get you a new set of GSD3's or PS2's.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah of course the tires are not worth 235 each, I wouldnt offer him more than 30-40per tire. These tires would only be used temporarily, even if I only got a years use out of them, they would be worth it to me. I have read a lot of mixed reviews about how long tires should be used, but as long as there's nothing wrong with these and no dry rot, I don't see it being too bad to use them for a couple months until I finish school. I guess offering him 50 bucks for all four wouldnt be low balling him then
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Good luck on your buy, but if the guy thought he was going to get a thousand dollars for ten year old tires, he might not want to accept that their practically worthless. I would also call around and make sure you can find a shop that will mount tires that old. A lot of shops probably won't for liability reasons.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fbodyfan
Good luck on your buy, but if the guy thought he was going to get a thousand dollars for ten year old tires, he might not want to accept that their practically worthless. I would also call around and make sure you can find a shop that will mount tires that old. A lot of shops probably won't for liability reasons.
Yea I about laughed at the guy when he told me he wanted that much for each tire, but I was trying to be nice. I think I will likely pass on these tires and keep my eye out for newer ones. Thanks for the info.