Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

cracked wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cracked wheel?

i just picked up these tt2s a week ago and they were in pretty rough shape.. but i am in the middle of cleaning them up; wetsanding, polishing.. i am on my second wheel and i see this little knick.. so i start wetsanding it down and it is bubbling.. so i put my ear to it and it is slightly leaking air... fml.. its really small maybe 1/8in.. i was wondering if i get tire dismounted, i could have my dad tig weld the inside of the wheel.. do yall think this will keep it from cracking further.. and what would cause the crack? thanks

Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and just for fun here is first wheel completed next to second wheel..

Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how it could hurt it, but I feel solder might be a bit better. I just replaced a set of wheels that had a cracking chrome coating on it. I have yet to actually start tearing into them though. As for the crack, I've only ever see them closer to the outside but it could have been a massive pothole.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

With my experience at my last shop and at my BMW dealer I would never recommend repairing a cracked wheel since it is more likely going to crack again.

But if it was my own car I would always try and repair first. As long as your dad knows how to properly weld on those metals I would spend the 20$ to dismount the wheel and try it

Never seen a crack there so I would closely inspect the rest of the wheel when you remove it or maybe even contact American racing see if they will do anything. Most wheels when they crack will be on the inner lip. If there is no bend or lip damage it's worth a shot.

Good luck with whatever you decide !hope that helps
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd just try it. If anything. It doesn't work and you're out a wheel that you already bought.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the replies.. as for welding my dad works in a fab shop and has for along time.. so thats not a big deal..but the wheel isnt bent and almost no curb rash.. it is a very wierd place to crack.. but i am planning on having it welded up and just keep an eye on it.. if it gets any worst ill just replace it...
Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

being bent probably hit a pot hole and they won't due anything..... try welding.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a weld racing wheel that was cracked and I thought it was a center cap rattling! It made maby 135 mph trap speed passes while it was cracked ( before I found out of course) after I found it was a cracked wheel I thought of what could have happened if the wheel came apart at 135! I thank God to this day that it dint, so just the thought of welding a cracked wheel sends chills up my spine!!! That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!! Not no, but hell no!!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
being bent probably hit a pot hole and they won't due anything..... try welding.
wheel is not bent.. but i looked on website and they cover warranty only with original purchaser.. oh well ill just try to get it welded..
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skinumback
I had a weld racing wheel that was cracked and I thought it was a center cap rattling! It made maby 135 mph trap speed passes while it was cracked ( before I found out of course) after I found it was a cracked wheel I thought of what could have happened if the wheel came apart at 135! I thank God to this day that it dint, so just the thought of welding a cracked wheel sends chills up my spine!!! That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!! Not no, but hell no!!!!
yea that is scary, well i know my car will prolly never be at that speed.. but i totally understand that.. but at least i know it is cracked and where it is cracked and as much as i clean my car i will keep a close eye on it...
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a ws6 wheel with a pretty decent sized crack in it and I took it to a chasis guy in town that knew how to weld aluminum. I think he charged like 20 bucks and it turned out great. Never had a problem with it after
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool good to hear
Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Weld it. Seen it done first hand and it's like new.

Quick Reply: cracked wheel?