Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Looking for a good all-around tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a good all-around tire

My car is a stock 98 Formula 6 spd with stock 16's. I have some Dunlop 2000 sport (can't remember exact name) tires on there that came with the car. It sat so much that I believe the tires to have flat-spotted and I can see dry-rot cracking between the treads even though there is PLENTY of tread left on them. Anyway, I'm looking into getting new tires to aleviate my vibration problem (caused by the suspected flat-spotting). My car is a daily driver with 130m+ per day put on her. I need a tire with good wet and dry weather traction. I live in the South so no snow to contend with. A friend highly suggested GS-D3's but they are awfully expensive compared to other tires in the same market. As long as it does as well or better than the Dunlops on there now, I will be happy. I just want the best bang for the buck without busting a hole in my wallet.

I would appreciate your opinions, thoughts and recommendations on the matter.

Thanks

E
Old 02-24-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avon Tech M500s. They rock, and are pretty affordable. They've been on the market less than a year in the US, but the company (Avon) has been in the European racing circuit for many many years!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:05 PM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

Highly recomend BFG Traction TA. These are affordable($110 ish), not cheapest but definitly the best. I had them on my old wheels and the 245s gripped better than my current 275s (not traction tas). They wore well too, had em for 4k with burnouts every weekend and still look new (not showing wear at all). I could punch it in the rain and it wouldn't lose traction! I tookem to the track and they acted like drag radials. Go buy them you'll lovem!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Firestone Wide Ovals or the Fuzion Zri. The Fuzion has really good reviews on Tirerack. The Firestone is new and looks sweet. I loved my Sz50's. The Fuzions are stupid cheap.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Never heard of the Avons. I'll check em out.

I thought about the BFG's but I thought I might be able to get better dry traction in a wet/dry tire for a similar price. Any thoughts? How do they compare to the KDW's?

Any thoughts on Nittos or Kumhos as daily drivers?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

Kumhos suck. Check out the Fuzions @ tirerack.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

one of the best tires are the Pirrelli P-Zero Nero M+S. My friend has em on his 97 Z28 and they freakin rock, even in the snow, drive GREAT! Unfortunatly, I think all the Mustangs are using these tires so they have been on back-order since October. I have been pushing these stock GS-C or RS-A or whatever P.O.S stock tires came with the car for 3yrs and 30K miles... Need a replacement soon. If the snow clears up before the Pirellis are available, I'm gettin so GS-D3's
Old 02-25-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THECowboy
one of the best tires are the Pirrelli P-Zero Nero M+S. My friend has em on his 97 Z28 and they freakin rock, even in the snow, drive GREAT! Unfortunatly, I think all the Mustangs are using these tires so they have been on back-order since October. I have been pushing these stock GS-C or RS-A or whatever P.O.S stock tires came with the car for 3yrs and 30K miles... Need a replacement soon. If the snow clears up before the Pirellis are available, I'm gettin so GS-D3's
The GS-D3 is a great tire. Just don't drive in the snow with them. At all. Seriously. If you're car is going to see snow and you don't have an extra pair of tires get something else.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Default Fuzions

I have the Fuzion ZRis on right now on my 275/40/17 firehawk wheels. they're great on the street but not enough for the power i have to do well on the track .

In the rain, the car feels like it's on dry road...literally (very important in south florida for our afternoon downpoor/old people combo)
Old 02-28-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I have bfg kdw 275-40-17 on my WS6, and good in wet and dry weather. got mine for about 140 a tire. Other tires may work just the same, but I like to have a tire that has been proven over time.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Actually the Dunlops you had on there are pretty good tires.

I hold a strong liking for Dayton tires as they have a great bang for the buck price. Just paid $130 each local (inc. mounting/balance) for 275/40/17 Daytona ZRs. Traction A, Temp A, Treadwear 300. They also have a nice beefy lip protector built in.

Last edited by BigBadWolf; 02-28-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm ... well I've been researching for the last two weeks and have succeeded in making my choice more difficult. I looked at the Fusion's among others. They look to cheap to trust. Also, keep in mind some of the popular tires don't come in 16's. Here's a shortlist of ones I've considered off tirerack:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 151
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 88
Yokohama AVS ES100 99
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 108
Fuzion ZRi 80 <~~~ for good measure

I really like the GS-D3's and they seem like the top choice. I could go buy a set of them this weekend. However, I will have no fun money left to play. So is it worth it to have good traction in any condition for ~25k miles for $151 per tire plus mounting and balancing? I guess that's the question I need to ask myself.

Any more input would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like my GS-D3's.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Another vote for the BFG KDWS's. I work at a tire shop so i know my $hit when it comes to tires. I've got these on my fronts right now because they are awesome tires all around (even in the snow) and they have probably the best rating for tread wear you will find in a high performance tire.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I really like my Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals. I have 295/35/18's on the rear. They are a tad bit sticky. If I go through anywhere that has small pebbles/gravel I can definitely tell because the tires pick them all up.

Nice looking tire to boot.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ritz
I really like my Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals. I have 295/35/18's on the rear. They are a tad bit sticky. If I go through anywhere that has small pebbles/gravel I can definitely tell because the tires pick them all up.

Nice looking tire to boot.
I had the Firehawks too on my stock 16" but I had bad hydro problems in wet weather. I went to the Fuzion ZRi's and they worked great in wet weather which was odd because they are a dry/summer tire. The Fuzion's were sticky as hell too.