Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Simple: Are There Any Drag Rims That Just Bolt On W/ No Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Simple: Are There Any Drag Rims That Just Bolt On W/ No Mods

I am wanting to get a set of drag wheels (slicks/skinnies) that just simply bolt up without grinding/fender rolling, BFH, etc. One of my good friends told me that convo pro's would, but then i saw a thread stating that "if centerline made a rim with proper back-spacing" So simply asking, does anyone make one? I have a 9" wiht non-adjustable LCA, if any other details are needed, i can provide them, thanks!!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bogarts...
Old 03-25-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coy
Bogarts...
is there simply only ONE kind of bogart or are there multiple lines? also, what is the backspacing/specs on this bogart wheel? i will be buying some shortly and wanted to do my homework first
Old 03-25-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SJM Mfg sells Bogarts and they are a sponsor here. Just ask them.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:16 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the price of bogarts doesnt compare to spending 1 hour grinding 2 calipers, to make prostars, draglites or any other race wheel fit.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:36 PM
FormerVendor

We setup the specs for Rich Bogart and work with prototypes and new designs... E-mail us with your specifications, and I will be able to build the wheels to your requirements (within reason).

The comment above regarding price comparison is a poor comparison. There is no way our wheels are in ANY comparison to an economy prostar or draglite. Our wheels are ~30% lighter, direct fit and in no comparison to regarding quality or finish!

If you want an economy wheel, then a prostar or draglite may be your best choice. It certainly isn't anywhere near the wheel that ours are!

To give you a direct-realworld-measurable number, by using a set of prostars on your car is like LEAVING ~50 lbs of converted STATIC weight on your car. The difference in price alone of our wheels is worth every penny...we are not even considering fit and finish at this point! On the rear, you could take 3 of our wheels and they will weigh what two same sized prostars weigh! SO, the 700.00 you spent on your K-member to save 35 lbs...was it worth it?? Why spend the money on one when you are leaving so much MORE weight on the car by trying to save money by purchasing economy wheels?? I say get the k-member, and get the lighter wheels and save the most weight!

Wheels make a car, if you car about appearance, then consider what you are purchasing serioiusly. Our wheels have a show-quality finish using only the finest high-quality materials! We do not use stamped or cast components on our wheels!

If price is of main concern...then get an economy wheel...you do get what you pay for as they say.

Click the e-mail link if you need assistance....as you can see, I answer e-mails and reply to comments quite often.

Steve

Last edited by steve10; 03-25-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

SJM knows there **** and theyre right...bogarts hands down...can they be driven daily steve?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
SJM knows there **** and theyre right...bogarts hands down...can they be driven daily steve?
Thanks for the vote of confidence. My mechanical engineering background among other degrees does help...I do not comment or make statements towards our products to get sales from everyone. I listen to our customers, view their goals and try to help them achieve them. I firmly believe in our products...if I didn't I would not have teamed up with Rich Bogart in a working relationship to come up with F-body designs among other newer car setups on the market.

Some customers, after hearing their goals and expectations, I recommend other manufactures components. I feel clients appreciate honestly and my knowledge. I’d rather move a customer to something that meets their goals better then telling they need something they don’t want or not work as well for them.

Regarding daily driving, keep in mind, NO skinny drag wheel made on the market is DOT approved. Our wheels are designed for their intended purpose which is drag racing. I cannot tell you to use them on the street since they are not street legal (I give the analogy of if we build a cat-bypass pipe, I could not tell you to run that on the street either.)

The wheels are very strong and durable; many drive them everyday without issue. From theoretical analysis as well as (most important) real world testing, our Bogart wheels really have stood up to the task. We have extremely high rate of success with our F-body setups.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve10
We setup the specs for Rich Bogart and work with prototypes and new designs... E-mail us with your specifications, and I will be able to build the wheels to your requirements (within reason).

The comment above regarding price comparison is a poor comparison. There is no way our wheels are in ANY comparison to an economy prostar or draglite. Our wheels are ~30% lighter, direct fit and in no comparison to regarding quality or finish!

If you want an economy wheel, then a prostar or draglite may be your best choice. It certainly isn't anywhere near the wheel that ours are!

To give you a direct-realworld-measurable number, by using a set of prostars on your car is like LEAVING ~50 lbs of converted STATIC weight on your car. The difference in price alone of our wheels is worth every penny...we are not even considering fit and finish at this point! On the rear, you could take 3 of our wheels and they will weigh what two same sized prostars weigh! SO, the 700.00 you spent on your K-member to save 35 lbs...was it worth it?? Why spend the money on one when you are leaving so much MORE weight on the car by trying to save money by purchasing economy wheels?? I say get the k-member, and get the lighter wheels and save the most weight!

Wheels make a car, if you car about appearance, then consider what you are purchasing serioiusly. Our wheels have a show-quality finish using only the finest high-quality materials! We do not use stamped or cast components on our wheels!

If price is of main concern...then get an economy wheel...you do get what you pay for as they say.

Click the e-mail link if you need assistance....as you can see, I answer e-mails and reply to comments quite often.

Steve
you just found yourself a customer, i will be getting in touch with you within the next 2 weeks, THANKS!!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
you just found yourself a customer, i will be getting in touch with you within the next 2 weeks, THANKS!!
Thanks for your interest in our wheels. When your ready, just let me know. By filling out the spec sheet from the e-mail link below, it will tell me what I need to know and how to build your wheels. No need to feel uncertain of specifications.

If you have something specific or a goal that you are looking to meet, please indicate them. I will also make suggestions regarding what I feel will work best for your particular situation.

Steve
Old 03-26-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok...i was asking cause i really love the look of these wheels but would a 6" or 7" wide wheel be considered a "skinny"? i wanta 17x6 or7 for the front cause still want to have the big rotors
Old 03-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by steve10
Thanks for the vote of confidence. My mechanical engineering background among other degrees does help...I do not comment or make statements towards our products to get sales from everyone. I listen to our customers, view their goals and try to help them achieve them. I firmly believe in our products...if I didn't I would not have teamed up with Rich Bogart in a working relationship to come up with F-body designs among other newer car setups on the market.

Some customers, after hearing their goals and expectations, I recommend other manufactures components. I feel clients appreciate honestly and my knowledge. I’d rather move a customer to something that meets their goals better then telling they need something they don’t want or not work as well for them.

Regarding daily driving, keep in mind, NO skinny drag wheel made on the market is DOT approved. Our wheels are designed for their intended purpose which is drag racing. I cannot tell you to use them on the street since they are not street legal (I give the analogy of if we build a cat-bypass pipe, I could not tell you to run that on the street either.)

The wheels are very strong and durable; many drive them everyday without issue. From theoretical analysis as well as (most important) real world testing, our Bogart wheels really have stood up to the task. We have extremely high rate of success with our F-body setups.
Steve, I know most of us who hang out around here know that you cant say a skinny is OK for street driving, but what about the rear wheels? A 15x4 obviously doesn't have much there and could sustain some damage on a good sized pot hole (moreso than a wider wheel with more tire to absorb the shock would), but are your 15x10 wheels and other wide wheels considered street legal?

Honestly I'm very picky when it comes to my car, and I'm still a little ways off financially from picking up a set of Bogarts due to some job issues, but when the time does come where I can make the move to gear the car more towards it's strip performance but still maintain it's streetability I'm thinking about picking up a set of 15x8s and 15x10s for street driving, and just swapping out the fronts to some 15x4s with skinnies for track use. Just wondering if the wider wheels with more tire around them are considered street legal or more safe on the street than the skinnier 4" wheels are.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Steve, I know most of us who hang out around here know that you cant say a skinny is OK for street driving, but what about the rear wheels? A 15x4 obviously doesn't have much there and could sustain some damage on a good sized pot hole (moreso than a wider wheel with more tire to absorb the shock would), but are your 15x10 wheels and other wide wheels considered street legal?

Honestly I'm very picky when it comes to my car, and I'm still a little ways off financially from picking up a set of Bogarts due to some job issues, but when the time does come where I can make the move to gear the car more towards it's strip performance but still maintain it's streetability I'm thinking about picking up a set of 15x8s and 15x10s for street driving, and just swapping out the fronts to some 15x4s with skinnies for track use. Just wondering if the wider wheels with more tire around them are considered street legal or more safe on the street than the skinnier 4" wheels are.
Some of the larger wheels that drag manufactures use are DOT legal...i.e. weld prostars do have larger styles, weld alumastars no. We do not pay for the DOT stamp, so none of our wheels are considered street legal.

Honestly, the setup that you are considering is really a poor consideration. If I was using the car for everyday use, I'd probably NEVER use ANY 15 inch wheel as handling is not going to be near the same as even your stock setup. You will not be happy with the drivability characteristics in comparison to a nice set of 17inch wheels. The 15's...the sidewalls are larger...tightness is lost. I'd honestly use a good set of 17inch wheels like our RR wheels or a set that you prefer for everyday driving. WHen your ready to street race or drag race, THEN run skinnies and slicks...no other time.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
ok...i was asking cause i really love the look of these wheels but would a 6" or 7" wide wheel be considered a "skinny"? i wanta 17x6 or7 for the front cause still want to have the big rotors
Large rotors, you'd have to use our RR 16 or more then likely 17's to fit. Keep in mind in the back of your head (most don't realize this)...when you run those large rotors and brake combos...they work FANTASTIC on wide wheels up front and rear since there is a substantial amount of surface area for the brakes. When you leave a skinny wheel on the car, you will really only just skid more. The larger brakes will only prove to be heavier from a static standpoint as well as rotational standpoint....they are definitely a hinderance for drag racing.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

Out of all the wheels folks are running, there are only two wheels that fit without grinding:

Bogarts
Centerline

Here is the catch regarding Centerlines. You can run a 15x4 in front no problem, without a spacer. I think the only size rear that fits without sticking out is a 15x7.5. You'd have to look around to see how the 15x8.5 stuff fits.

For the guy on a budget, get the Convo Pros, you are looking at less than $900 for fronts and rears.

For about $1500-1600, you can get Bogarts that are 15x9.75 in the back, which is nice.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

I've started a wheel gallery, I still have a ton more to add and to label:

http://www.wheels.ls1tech.com/gallery/main.php
Old 03-26-2006, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Just to clarify John's statement. Prices are varied to what and HOW we build the wheel. Basic sets are lower then what John mentioned retailing at ~1400.00...depending on the application prices can vary quite a bit...the BEST option if you're interested is to e-mail us directly filling out the specs and requirements to what your car is THEN we can give you an exact price that the wheels will be.

For our Bogart customers or folks considering our wheels, we have an extensive Bogart gallery of cars listed in a varyiety of applications on our site....just click it below my comments below.