Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

BLEMISHED AKA TARNISHED Z06 chrome wheels HELP AND RESCUE

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BLEMISHED AKA TARNISHED Z06 chrome wheels HELP AND RESCUE

Well the title says it all. I have Z06 chrome wheels that looks amazing on the car but I have neglected them this year (which I really hate to do ) and well it really shows. My chrome is tarnished... It's not like rust... the only way I can really describe it is a yellowish/whitish mark in the chrome and no elbow grease and chrome polish (at least the ones i tried) can remove it. I'm thinking of using 000 grade fine wool. I had read somewhere here a while ago about a product I could get at hardware stores that would actually do miracles... I have read alot but I haven't seen nothing really helpful on chrome blemishes/tarnished. I hope this thread becomes really good future reference for ppl with the same issue lol. My last solution would be to get some new wheels!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a pic of your problem? This may sound dumb, but your sure they are chrome and not polished, chrome polishes seem to leave rainbow marks in polished surfaces
Old 10-07-2006, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

I agree wit Trust, post some pics.....
Old 10-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Well when I bought them they sure said it was chrome... It is Factory Reproduction wheels bought on ebay from TomZ wheels about 3 years ago. Here are the links of their their websites...
http://www.factoryreproductions.com
http://www.tomzwheels.com/

They obviously told me it was chrome of course. It sure looks like chrome... I don't own a digital camera stupid as it sounds but I have a friend that does and I'll try to post some pics shortly.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

If they told you that then they probably are chrome. Can you run your nail over the chrome then over the spot that is tranished? Can you feel the difference in surface texture? Would you be able to tell where it was if you weren't looking at the wheel and just going over it with your nail?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fishv12
Well the title says it all. I have Z06 chrome wheels that looks amazing on the car but I have neglected them this year (which I really hate to do ) and well it really shows. My chrome is tarnished... It's not like rust... the only way I can really describe it is a yellowish/whitish mark in the chrome and no elbow grease and chrome polish (at least the ones i tried) can remove it. I'm thinking of using 000 grade fine wool. I had read somewhere here a while ago about a product I could get at hardware stores that would actually do miracles... I have read alot but I haven't seen nothing really helpful on chrome blemishes/tarnished. I hope this thread becomes really good future reference for ppl with the same issue lol. My last solution would be to get some new wheels!!!
This is what you need.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/528859-found-ultimate-metal-polish.html
Old 10-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Launching!

I'll definetely going to try some of that Noxon stuff if I can manage to find it in retail stores here in Canada. I have attached a picture of a tarnished rim. They are taken with my Sony W600i cell phone so they aren't that great lol. I would say that there is a little difference in texture but not enough for me to feel it with my fingernail. It's not exactly just as smooth but it's very hard to feel it. Hard to describe....
Attached Thumbnails BLEMISHED AKA TARNISHED Z06 chrome wheels HELP AND RESCUE-rim-damage2.jpg  
Old 10-07-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fishv12
I'll definetely going to try some of that Noxon stuff if I can manage to find it in retail stores here in Canada. I have attached a picture of a tarnished rim. They are taken with my Sony W600i cell phone so they aren't that great lol. I would say that there is a little difference in texture but not enough for me to feel it with my fingernail. It's not exactly just as smooth but it's very hard to feel it. Hard to describe....
You can buy Noxin online. If your chrome is actually damaged then nothing will work. But as far as polishing, I doubt you can find anything better.

http://www.google.com/search?hs=pdh&...sh&btnG=Search
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

im sorry about your problem i have gone threw numerous issues with the aftermarket chrome replica wheels. unless you car is garaged and sees no winter or rain forget them. the quality just plain sucks ive had 3 sets in 2 years and nothing but problems, you must wash them with just soap and water no cleaners only regluar wax, and where i bought them from they told me you must clean them once a week, no road salt, no cleaners and do not let them sit around. so i must pretty much change my life for replica wheels, screw that. but yet any other rim i owned i never had one issue if they were new or used until i started geting replica wheels, and i will never buy a set again, sorry to rant in your thread but when i see problems like this it pisses me off .

Last edited by 99zman; 10-09-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

^^ Holy run on sentence! j/k man! If you can feel some texture then its on the surface so you just need to find the proper cleaner. Honestly, I was very happy with the quality of my O.E. Wheels, I never had any issues with the chrome at all. I just used soap and a shamey (sp) on them and they were good to go.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have had alot of probs outta my TTII's which started at day one of having them mounted...for example the first day i got em i went to my GF's house to show them to her and onced i got there, her freakin dog pissed on em....well apparently i didn't clean it off then and there cause i didn't think itd hurt anything...well the next day i cleaned my car and noticed where the damn dog had pissed on my wheel there was like a Yellow/brown Stain on the wheel that will not come off with ANY cleaner...so i just kinda gave up and figured what the hell it doens't look THAT BAD...a few weeks later i was on a backroad lookin for a party(backroad was blacktopped not gravel) and my wheels got fithy cause it had been raining...well like above i cleaned them off the next day and where there was mud build up on them it left like a yellow/brown stain that will not come off...is this normal with TTII's or any other polished wheels?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Launching!

I bought a mothers powerball today lol. I'll go get some of that stuff and give it a good scrub!!! I'll give it a really good try at least. I guess I'm not the only one... I always thought chrome was almost indestructible... guess I was wrong.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Does anyone here knows where I can get that in Canada? If there is any specific hardware store ?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Alrighty I ordered some on amazon.com Should arrive shortly!!! I will post up on the results
Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Sadly the Noxon didn't do much for the tarnished spot on my wheels. It's nothing major tho that you can see so I guess I will live with them :S Next set of rims I will get tho I will be careful and get some really good quality ones!

Last edited by Fishv12; 08-23-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: BLEMISHED AKA TARNISHED Z06 chrome wheels HELP AND RESCUE