Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Lost key for locking lugs, now what???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lost key for locking lugs, now what???

While installing my new wheels I seemed to have misplaced/lost my key for my locking lugs. If I cant find it what do I do then? Is there anybody that makes special sockets for removing them or am I screwed . Any help would be cool.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing and i had to take a smaller socket and hammer it over the lock lug and then screw it off. This will work just be careful not to damage your wheel.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take it to a reputable tire shop and have them remove the locks. They usually do it for about $5-10. Get new locks and make sure they give you everything in the package. I have a friend of mine that got his rims stolen from some creep at a tire shop because he sent in the form for a duplicate lock. He found out where my friend lived and luckily someone saw him as he was driving away.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

check under your passenger seat! that's where mine was when i tought i had lost it.

seriously, you can do either of the two suggestions tha have already been mentioned. they both work.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

post pics of them, Mac tools makes a kit to remove them.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

i think the kits around $100 or so but you get a bunch of sockets that kinda look like bob vila's stripped bolt removers. they work good tho we have that at out shop just be shure as stated before to not hit the wheel.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

I looked under the passenger seat and found my sirius remote, but no socket, LOL

I will take a picture of it tomorrow when I get home from work, I read somewhere that you can get a 12 point socket that will just barly fit on and hammer it on then remove it with a breaker bar. I'll call some local tire shops tomorrow and see what they will charge me to remove them. It sucks I just put the new wheels/tires on, now I want to give the calipers a fresh coat of red paint and I can get my damn wheels off, LOL

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

LS1 ACE: I got ya beat. I found my locking key today..... It was still on the locking lug on the left front wheel. Luckily the weather has been bad so I havent driven the car for 3 weeks so the socket has just been sitting there all this time.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot the wheel lock key on the wheels as well. Unfortunately, the advice that I gave you is from personal experience. I even heard it roll off on the first turn I took around the corner from my house. I couldn't find it so I had new locking lugs installed.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

I'll tell you what I did. I first found the key number by emailing the lug lock company with a digital photo. Now, whenever I do the wheels, I put the plastic bag that hold the key on the driver seat, and as soon as I attempt to get in the car, I realize the key is still on the wheel. It has worked for me every time. You may also want to buy an extra key, which will save your *** some day.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rebob5
LS1 ACE: I got ya beat. I found my locking key today..... It was still on the locking lug on the left front wheel. Luckily the weather has been bad so I havent driven the car for 3 weeks so the socket has just been sitting there all this time.
lol glad you found it man.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Ive even got you beat on that......did the same thing you didbut then drove 19 miles home and then found it the next day near my parking spot where i backed in at.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EarlSS
I did the same thing and i had to take a smaller socket and hammer it over the lock lug and then screw it off. This will work just be careful not to damage your wheel.
+1 what i had to do!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EarlSS
I did the same thing and i had to take a smaller socket and hammer it over the lock lug...

Yup.. I did the same.. except I just bought some plain old lug nuts and dumped the whole wheel lock thing completely.