Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Who is running 28" rears with functional ABS in an F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who is running 28" rears with functional ABS in an F-body?

Who is running 28" rears with functional ABS in an F-body?

Is this possible? I hear that you can't have too much of a difference between the front diameter and rear diameter and expect ABS to work. If so which front tires are you running? Most 16-17" tires are 26" at most...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:27 PM
FormerVendor

Won't work, nor will 27's work well. One reason why our ABS delete kit is a good choice for you guys.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Won't work, nor will 27's work well. One reason why our ABS delete kit is a good choice for you guys.
Thanks Steve. Any more detail you could give would be appreciated.

I found that BFG KDW 255/45ZR18's are 27.0" diameter. Will that allow ABS to work with 27.76" rears? (Nitto P275/60/R15's) Does anyone run something like that? I don't like the weight but if it's my only option to keep ABS...
Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 AM
FormerVendor

You're welcome. There is nothing thrilling about ABS, if you have only a 3 channel ABS system, it is a poor design. There is really no benefits of retaining it from a performance standpoint. Removing ABS does not make your brakes work any differently during normal driving. Actually, when disabling ABS, running a proportioning valve give the user the ability to tune and bias front/rear braking better.

Even with a 27", ABS is not calibrated correctly and will not function normally. It will activate at times when not needed. If you like ABS, stick with same diameter tires. ABS does permit slight variance between tires, but do not go over a 1" difference if you want it to operate "normally".
Old 05-29-2007, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
You're welcome. There is nothing thrilling about ABS, if you have only a 3 channel ABS system, it is a poor design. There is really no benefits of retaining it from a performance standpoint. Removing ABS does not make your brakes work any differently during normal driving. Actually, when disabling ABS, running a proportioning valve give the user the ability to tune and bias front/rear braking better.
Nah, it's not a racing thing - it's a safety thing. It's saved my butt in panic stops in the rain on many an occasion and I can't see driving without it.

Even with a 27", ABS is not calibrated correctly and will not function normally. It will activate at times when not needed. If you like ABS, stick with same diameter tires. ABS does permit slight variance between tires, but do not go over a 1" difference if you want it to operate "normally".
Less than 1" difference, then. Cool. Other than being heavy (grumble), any problems with my 27" and 27.76" combo proposed above?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Steve,

How about 275/50/15 Nittos @ 25.75" with BFG KDW 245/50ZR16's @ 25.7" on the front? I think that would be substantially lighter. What is your opinion of that combo? There are 17" BFG's in that same height but I wonder if they would add weight? And would the handling matter given what I will have on the rears?

Can you get some road race style wheels for that combo that don't require any grinding to fit my 99 Formula?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:41 AM
FormerVendor

That would work fine as well. I believe handling will feel a bit better with the shorter sidewall width.

...Sure, I can build you both drag or RR wheels for you that would be for your caliper combination. Give me a call if you'd like to discuss your options.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

Great! Thanks.