Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

how do i change my wheel stud?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how do i change my wheel stud?

hey guys i got a stripped wheel stud ang got to change it now and wanted to know how to do it? and is chevy gonna rip me off on this like everything else? lol thanks guys
Old 05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to autozone, buy a new one. Take off your wheel, get a BFH and beat that sumbitch off. It will be a bitch but keep pounding till it pops out. Put in your new stud put on a lug nut and tighten it down, your trying to draw the stud into the little hole. Pull of the lug nut when the stud is nice and tight, put on your wheel and reinstall the lugs. You may need to use an impact gun for the tightening of the stud, if you don't have one take it to a tire shop, the can probably do it for like 20 bucks.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

yeah everything he said. it is going to be a pain in the *** to replace it without an impact. be sure not to strip the new stud when tighting the new stud in the hole with the lug nut. it also may be a good idea to have some sort of spacer between the lug nut you are tighting and the hub, dont just tighten onto the hub. try a bigger nut that fits over the new stud or something of that nature. you best bet is to take it to a tire shop or something, it shouldnt cost more than 20 or 25 bucks and take more than 15 minutes.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys i appreciate it
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Front or rear? I just got done replacing all my studs and the fronts were not that big of a deal. Put the new one in the freezer and heat the hub, then draw it on like said above. I just threw out my stockers - Let me know if you want one and I'll send it to you, (Have to dig it out of the trash tho)...
Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WD40 is your friend in situations like this. I used a 3lb mini-sledge to poung it out. I did it a little differently though. I used a stubby screwdriver and the above mentioned BFH to tap it in from the back. It was actually much easier that I expected. I then just used one of the open lug nuts off of my camaro to pull it the last 1/4 of an inch out.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pressing them in is realistically the best choice.

If you're going to do it with the above method, use a torque wrench set it at 100 ft/lbs and install it. If it takes more then this to install the stud, you're going to stretch it and possibly damage it or weaken it's strength.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys appreciate it and sorry i didnt mention it. its the rear damn spacers lol
Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did my rear. I did 4 on one wheel. Its easy and it was my first time.

Jack car up
Take wheel off
Use PB blaser
Beat it out with a hammer (it really isn't that hard)
Take to auto parts buy one like it
Go back home
put it though the back
put a lugnut on the other side
tighten it up utnil it POPS into place

Its really pretty easy. A shop around here wanted 75 bucks to do 2 of them! It was crazy!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Teching In

i used to do this for people every day when i worked for tire kingdom...i always used a thick washer for a spacer so the lug couldn't reach the tapered part on the new stud...the important part though is making sure you dont strip out the splines on the new stud while pulling it in, and YES an impact gun will be alot easier. the only thing i really have to add to what the other guys said is a personal opinion, but i always got an extra lug nut, because i just never trusted the old one after using it to pull a new stud in. the end that mates up to the whell was almost always a little chewed up, so i wanted to make sure i had a good clean seat. just an opinion though.

PS- when i said splines on the new stud, i didn't mean threads. i meant the actual splines that bite into the hub like really small gear teeth. you probably already new that, but i didn't want to sound like a douchebag, so i thought i'd clarify, LOL.