10 Second Club Now you are haulin! 10s are sweet

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS

Hello, we are SO-ILL Speed & Sound from Carlinville, IL. This a is a Father (Steve) / Son (Joe) project that we call The Shop Rag (because it looks like a rag for now, we'll eventually paint or wrap it) and we work on it one or two nights a week when we can (between everything else that needs worked on, LOL). Right now we share driving duties, but Joe is scratch building a 272" rear engined slip joint dragster powered by a turboed LS2 on methanol to run Top Dragster in NHRA Div 3. I am a Telecommunications Engineer and Joe runs his performance, chassis, and audio shop and drives trucks part time.

ENGINE
All Motor LQ4 with Katec rod bolts, Melling oil pump, double roller timing set, Comp ***** Thumper cam, cnc'd LS3 heads, Comp 918 springs, Edelbrock Victor Jr intake, Proform 850 carb, MSD 6010 box, and Edelbrock headers.

TRANS
turbo 400 with manual reversed valve body, trans brake, PTC 5500 Stall converter, and a B&M ratchet shifter.

REAR END
12bolt, with strange axles, c-clip eliminators, spool, 4.33-1 gears.

WHEELS AND TIRES
American Racing 15x4 Salt Flat Specials with 26" Hoosier front runners and & 15x8 Salt Flat Specials with Hoosier 28-10-15 slicks.

BODY
Gutted everything we could, fiberglass front end, homemade polycarbonite (lexan) windows, no tailgate.
Car weighs 3200 to 3250 with driver depending on which one of us is in it.

Over the winter of 2016 we upgraded to Wilwood front discs from factory discs, rebuilt the trans, added a new PTC converter, upgraded to Trick Chassis double adjustable 4 link bars with aluminum bushings, added a Trick Chassis sway bar, fixed an over heating issue, fixed a trans fluid puke issue, added a 2 inch carb spacer, built a lexan cowl scoop, and got new crew shirts (YEAY!).

LS Fest 2017 is the first time we have had the car out this year. We stopped by Gateway on our way to the Fest for a test & tune but only got two passes then loaded up and headed down. Our best time in 2016 was 11.01 @122 in testing.

2016 LS Fest foot brake launch....

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-o6ztxps.jpg

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-juapudu.jpg

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-esbf2mm.jpg

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-3jvhryc.jpg

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-p6cz34e.jpg

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-gkoy74b.jpg

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-w5308ku.jpg

Best time at LS Fest 2016 on foot brake, car number 3148....

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-0w4xvos.jpg

Best time at LS Fest 2017 on trans brake, car number 3019....

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-h9j9v7u.jpg

Last edited by 65drag; 09-12-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Just got back from the Road Kill Zip Tie Drags at Gateway. In the heat of the day, high humidity, fat jetting, and with launch RPM set at 4000, we near duplicated our best time and yanked the skinnies pretty clean.

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-mjtasg1.jpg

Two on the left represent good air at B.G. LS Fest. Far right is the Gateway heat of the day pass.

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-jxcaycf.jpg

We are slowly working our way up to a 5000 rpm launch.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Cool car. Also gateway is my home track! Would be a pretty good bracket car!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Cool car. Also gateway is my home track! Would be a pretty good bracket car!
Thanks, Yes it will be a pretty good bracket car. We're just getting our feet wet and just do specialty events for now, but when we decide to get serious I have no doubt we'll be a threat when we show up.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I like it! At first glance, I thought it was the roadkill "Raunchero" from their show...
Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

OK, so due to A LOT of bad luck with our tow vehicle and race car trailer getting trashed, we probably won't be at B.G. 2019 LS Fest.
A lady ran off the road at a high rate of speed and smashed into the front of our bus. The bus got hit so hard it bent the frame and got shoved backwards into our trailer which bent the hitch and frame.

Attachment 714959

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-wtqc8fu.jpg

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-jmjwr8h.jpg

So I thought I would update what we did there last year. A new anti-rotation bar installation and bumping the launch RPM up does a body good.
The below pic is on a 4500 RPM launch.

Attachment 714962

Here is the difference between 3000 RPM and 4500RPM at the hit. Car #3054, the two Right time slips are at 3000, the two Left time slips are 4500.

The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS-qtcah48.jpg
Still need to work on reaction times, but the car is deadly consistent.
We are also taking the time to up the H.P. so we can MPH better, it feels lazy on the top end.
Furthest left time slip is our best to date. Hopefully we'll make it out later this year.... SOME TIME!

Last edited by 65drag; 07-15-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: The Shop Rag steps up a class to the TENS