11 Second Club Snake eyes are a good thing

11 second passes but barely

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Default 11 second passes but barely

Would really like to know what I can do to get a better 60 foot. I don't have a line lock yet so I'm not getting a good smokey burnout but had good traction and no wheel hop on all passes. I feel this car should be in the low to mid 11's or even perhaps 10.90. This is a full weight car and has probably gotten even heavier with the LSX block and the S60. I didn't power brake out of fear of smoking the clutch so rolling burnouts only. Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What tires and wheels are you running, and how much power are you making?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

The tires or 28 10.5 slick and I'm not sure on my power levels yet. I had it on a mustang dyno once but had to end the session early due to a fuel pressure loss but @ 4000 it made 473hp and 490tq at the rear.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just realized this is a LSX/LS7 setup according to your signature, so obviously you are probably making good power. Can you simply launch a bit harder without spinning? 120 trap speed seems low for your setup though. Any idea on what's happening there?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello sir. Looked over your slips. First question is how are you doing your launches? What rpm? Are you just popping the clutch out or trying to slip it at all? The next thing is the 60'-330' time. On your fastest run it is 3.30 seconds. This seems a bit lazy to me. Think it should be closer to 3.0 with your setup. Maybe some slow shifting? Also what rpm are you going through the traps? Wonder if a 26" tire would help any. It is summer so your probably not getting the best air.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

I'm new to all of this but love the sport of drag racing but from a video I noticed the front of the car came up and then right back down on the launch as if I'd let off on the pedal but I'm pretty sure I stayed in it but the tires did let go on the hit. My better passes where on 2nd gear burnouts so I'm thinking the tires got a little hotter on those passes which gave me the better times. I am running BMR non'adjustable LCA's with Viking DA's and I'm thinking maybe I need to go with an adjustable LCA. I either may have too much or not enough compression or rebound in the shocks and I don't even know what all that means but it would be nice to have someone who knows about these things out there with me to watch the car as it launches to see what adjustments are needed to correct it. Most of the launches where made been between 3000 and 4000 rpms. .
Old 06-10-2018, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Just realized this is a LSX/LS7 setup according to your signature, so obviously you are probably making good power. Can you simply launch a bit harder without spinning? 120 trap speed seems low for your setup though. Any idea on what's happening there?
Man I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my reaction times where good, nothing got broke and the car stayed straight so at least I'm happy with that. I'm dumping the clutch off the line and taking it to 6000-6800 rpms between the shifts.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not sure but I'm equally concerned about your trap speed to be honest. Is this a stock HCI LS7? If you're only launching at 3k or so, I'd try more like 5k and see what happens. What clutch do you have?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I'm new to all of this but love the sport of drag racing but from a video I noticed the front of the car came up and then right back down on the launch as if I'd let off on the pedal but I'm pretty sure I stayed in it but the tires did let go on the hit. My better passes where on 2nd gear burnouts so I'm thinking the tires got a little hotter on those passes which gave me the better times. I am running BMR non'adjustable LCA's with Viking DA's and I'm thinking maybe I need to go with an adjustable LCA. I either may have too much or not enough compression or rebound in the shocks and I don't even know what all that means but it would be nice to have someone who knows about these things out there with me to watch the car as it launches to see what adjustments are needed to correct it. Most of the launches where made been between 3000 and 4000 rpms. .
Cool. So sounds like the car gets into a bit of a bog. As the front coming down looking like you let off. So definitely work on the launch. 3-4k rpm seems a bit low. Maybe try between 4-5k & try different things with the clutch pedal & find what works best. Can't really tell you what to do over the net. Just work on it. Try & keep the rpm from falling below say 4000? Second gear burn outs would be better than first. Don't really see the need for adjustable LCA. The adjustable shocks is def a plus. As you said to get them right would be nice. As you're new it takes time. Especially in a manual. Take your time, be conscious, & have fun.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

I know there is much more information needed to really figure out what is going on here. I don't have a shift light or a camera to watch what I'm doing as I'm driving through the gears. Just out of habit from street driving I tend to let of the throttle as I'm clutching so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well. I'm probably not being hard enough on it but most likely once I do start to figure it out that's when something will give. Nature of the beast! Thanks for the advice fellas and if anyone else has anything to add please chime in!

Quick Reply: 11 second passes but barely