11 Second Club Snake eyes are a good thing

roll cage???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default roll cage???

When do i need a cage ? and how many points?

some say 11.9 and others say 11.5 does any one know?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

11.999 and 6 points
Old 10-30-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OOOJOHN
some say 11.9 and others say 11.5 does any one know?
they are both right
NHRA = 11.99
IHRA = 11.49
Old 10-30-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does it change if you run 10 and 9 secs? When do you need a 10 point?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I might be wrong on this one but I believe it is 9.99 or faster
Old 11-01-2005, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

John here's some info that may be helpfull from Cali Speedway site & NHRA FAQ. There are some good pictures at the NHRA site check out the link. I have been wondering myself I hope to be in the 11's soon. Rick

California Dragway Street Legal Rules.
http://www.californiaspeedway.com/tr...agwayRules.jsp
ALL NHRA STREET LEGAL RULES WILL APPLY AND GOVERN THE EVENT (NHRA Rule Book supercedes all California Dragway rules)
Roll Bars & Cages: Roll bar required in any vehicle running between 10.00 and 11.99 E.T. (convertibles between 11.00 and 13.99). Roll bar/cage structures must meet minimum NHRA standards as found in the 2004 rulebook.

http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html
When do I need a roll bar or roll cage, and what should it look like?
A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.99. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.
How, where and when do I get a roll cage certified?
Contact your Division Office (click here for contact info) and tell them you need a chassis certified. They will direct you to the NHRA Chassis Inspector in your area. Chassis certifications are also performed at all National and Divisional events, for participants. Due to busy event schedules, certifications are not always available at events for non-participants. Contact the Division office (for Division events) or the National Technical Department in Glendora (for national events) ahead of time to see if arrangements can be made. Three year certification stickers (for vehicles running 7.50 seconds and slower) are $75. If you arrange for a chassis inspector to come to your location, you will be responsible for any travel expenses.

IHRA link on Roll bars:
http://members.tripod.com/dragsite/id5.htm

Last edited by rdewalt; 11-01-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks rdewalt . are you runing at the next track day?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's correct a few things here.

NHRA requires a 5-point rollBAR starting at 11.49 and quicker for hardtops (this includes t-tops) and 13.49 for convertibles. The rollbar is good to 10.00 if the car has unaltered floorpans, firewall and frame (wheeltubs allowed).

A rollCAGE is required at 9.99 or 135 mph or quicker. This includes at least 8 points.

Derek
Old 11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chopstix
they are both right
NHRA = 11.99
IHRA = 11.49

Does everyone agree with this?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Ya John I will be out there. Hopefully the track conditions will be good it should be nice and cold. They better prep the track well or we won’t have any traction. I will have my new rear suspension in by next Friday. My torque converter will be here this Friday but I will not have enough time to get it in before this track day. I was reading an article about the pure stock rules, here are some highlights:

To that point, with input from NHRA member tracks, NHRA has finalized a set of rules for street-legal events that apply to any car considered to be purely stock and street legal. The new Pure Stock Street Legal rules and regulations can be integrated into existing street-legal categories by member tracks or run as a separate class. The new rules, however, apply only to stock OEM-type production vehicles. Once any power adder or performance hardware is used, it then must follow the existing Summit E.T. safety requirements. Otherwise, any pure-stock, street-legal car running 11.50 or slower (example: stock Dodge Viper) would be governed by the proposed new Pure Stock Street Legal rules, providing the vehicle remains completely OEM stock.

If CA Speedway uses Summit Racing Rules then they are correct about 11.49 rule and it’s good to 10.00. The picture clearly shows a 5 point roll bar but I have not seen a 5 point roll bar any where for our cars. The CA Speedway web site states 11.99 maybe it’s a misprint or they have not updated the site if there was a rule change. I guess I am going to have to cough up $10.00 and buy a 2005 NHRA rule book. There seems to be quite a few cars running in the 11’s out there without roll bars don’t you think? I know our cars do not fall under the pure stock rules. http://nhra.com/2004/news/june/062202.html

“Summit Racing Rules section of NHRA rule book”
SECTION 12 - GENERAL REGULATIONS

4:10 ROLL BARS
Mandatory in all cars running 11.49 or quicker, or per Class Requirements. All roll bars must be within 6 inches of the rear or side of the driver’s head, extend in height at least 3 inches above the driver’s helmet with driver in normal driving position, and be at least as wide as the driver’s shoulders or within 1 inch of the driver’s door. Roll bar must be adequately supported or cross braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from the top of the roll bar. Crossbar and rear braces must be welded to main hoop. Sidebar must be included on driver’s side and must
pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow. Swing-out sidebar permitted. All roll bars must have in their construction a cross bar for seat bracing and as the shoulder harness attachment point; cross bar must be installed no more than 4 inches below, and not above, the driver’s shoulders or to side bar. All vehicles with OEM frame (i.e., pickup truck where body bolts to frame rails) must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame. Installation of frame connectors on unibody cars does not constitute a frame; therefore, it is not necessary to have the roll bar attached to the frame. Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheel tubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch bolts and nuts, or weld main hoop to
rocker sill area with .125-inch reinforcing plates, with plates welded completely. All 4130 chrome moly tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel welding must be done by approved MIG wire feed or approved TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. See illustration. Roll bar must be padded anywhere driver’s helmet may contact it while in driving position. Adequate padding must have minimum 1/4-inch compression or meet SFI Spec 45.1.

4:11 ROLL CAGE
Mandatory in all cars running quicker than 10.99 seconds or faster than 135 mph, or per Class Requirements. Cars with unaltered firewall, floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheel tubs permitted) running between 10.00 and 10.99, roll bar permitted in place of roll cage, or per Class Requirements.

Quick Reply: roll cage???