Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How can i quiet my watts link and LCAs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How can i quiet my watts link and LCAs?

I Have UMI rod end LCAs, single adjustable, and a Fays2 Watts link. Between the both of them my car sounds like its from the 70s, over every bump, its squeak squeak squeak. I also have some UMI boxed weld in SFCs that have yet to go on the car. Is there anything i can do or put on these things to make them quiet down? Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

with nice new rod ends my lca's made 0 noise. now after 2 months they're clunking again. if only i didn't have to daily drive it.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing...i can't wait to hear what to do...i have tried to tighten and lube everything. it stopped for about 10 minutes then started again...so my solution turn the radio up up and up...problem solved lol

don't hear don't know about lol
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rod ends shouldn't squeak.. they may thump, but squeak doesn't make sense.. I'd check the shocks/springs and see if you can grease anything.. Also, the sub frame connectors will stiffen up everything, and with that comes more transferred vibration, so I wouldn't expect them to help too much in the noise department..
Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's expected with any rod ended suspension component. That's the reason some offer a rod/poly setup on LCAs/etc. to cut "some" of it down ... there's always a tradeoff between performance and comfort
Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

thats what i have. rod end on one side, poly on the other side of the LCA
Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

I have NO noise coming from my watts link, read page 13, Trouble Shooting in your Fays2 owners manual.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

i have had zero noise for quite some time out of my lcas they squeaked a bit at first but thats it, i have the same ones as you do also

like mean grean said almost every performance mod comes with a trade in of ride comfort
Old 09-25-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I have NO noise coming from my watts link, read page 13, Trouble Shooting in your Fays2 owners manual.
Well, everything is evenly done and all that. How long have you had yours in? Ive had mine in for about 9 months. No complaints whatsoever about how the thing handles and launches, but the noise is a bit unwanted. Maybe I am just being too picky. I know it comes with a comfort trade-off, just wanted to know if there was a way to minimize it at all.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I may enquire here:

1. Are both the LCA's ends are still adequately tightened to the proper spec?

2. Is the poly bushing well lubed?

3. If both previous questions are answered with "yes", have you tried to simply swap the LCA's themselves from the current poly/rod to 1LE rubber bushing or poly/poly LCA's to see if by chance the noise has gone away?

I'm aware what I'm questioning is probably what many will dislike to read, however I've noticed with the majority of suspension noises from aftermarket parts readily come from mostly LCA's and much lesser from other parts. Again, not ruling that it's just the LCA's, but I've noticed many frequent 4th and 3rd Gen owners I've encountered having almost the exact same problems I've had with Poly and/or Rod-ended LCA's, especially since the parts are relative inexpensive, in plentiful supply, and easy to install.

Oh and another suggestion. I'm don't remember or not, but if you have poly swaybar-to-body bushings, make sure they're lubed quite well because if they too run "dry", then they can squeak over bumps and other random occurances.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had G2 all aluminum rod-ended LCAs and PHR and they wouldn't squeak. They would always thump over uneven pavement and made it sound like my old 3rd gen with the loose door hinges. I got tired of it and put the stocker LCAs back in. I am pleased to drive the car again.

I think I'll just do the 1LE bushings and be done with it since it doesn't appear there is enough difference in performance to warrant buying another set of LCAs. I DO plan on doing the watts link tho..
Old 09-25-2009, 07:02 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
First I would like to Thank you for the business! And second like mentioned above just make sure that all of the bushings are lube properly even the pan hard bar. And did you tighten the bolts when the suspension was loaded? If not they could be in a bushing bind. Hope that helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Banned

ustneed to get a set of these like 99bluz28 is running

Mark from 6litereater sells them. look him up
Attached Thumbnails How can i quiet my watts link and LCAs?-j-j-lca.jpg  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

I def know when its time to grease my LCA's by the thump noise when going over curbs and a sort of groan/squeek when I really push the susp up and down with all my weight. The noise doesnt totally disappear, but for the most part its MUCH quieter. I hope the Watts isnt the issue- I have one also. Try to isolate by greasing/ replacing the LCA's or rod ends -prolly the only way to find the source. The Aurora rod ends on the Watts look very stout after only 9 months they shouldn't be making noise. A lot of F bod issues with noise seem to get the same responses- tighten LCA bolts, grease/ replace rod ends, check same on PHB
Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Did you tighten the jam nuts really hard? My friend had issues and I tightened the jam nuts with vice grips and it eliminated all the rod ended lca noise.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Also, before tightening them make sure the eye bolt is centered with the suspension loaded.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
Well, everything is evenly done and all that. How long have you had yours in? Ive had mine in for about 9 months. No complaints whatsoever about how the thing handles and launches, but the noise is a bit unwanted. Maybe I am just being too picky. I know it comes with a comfort trade-off, just wanted to know if there was a way to minimize it at all.
Are you absolutely sure that the watts link is making noise? Im asking because I may buy one in the future, and this is the first time I've seen a noise complaint.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

To be honest, i really don't think it was the watts link. I just installed both of them at the same time, so it could be either one, ya know? If you plan on getting a watts link, dont let me stop you. Its a hell of a mod and worth more than every penny.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Um... I've not had one noise complaint either, including my own on the Watts link. In fact, even on rod-ended PHB's, the noise is always much less than with rod-end LCA's. That's sort of the trade-off one makes for no bind.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a watts link and it doesn't make any noise at all.My suspension is really quiet.
Re- check everything one buy one.My friend has spohn LCA'S and they squeek if the
bolts are too tight.

Quick Reply: How can i quiet my watts link and LCAs?