Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 @ 600-670H.p. with 7000-8000RPM possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 @ 600-670H.p. with 7000-8000RPM possible?

OK hear it is, I Have a certain 5th Gen vehicle. It will soon be around 3500-3600lbs...

1.LS3 engine that could be reliable and street driven that would last to 50k-70k before a rebuild is needed. 2.The car would likely be road raced on the weekends. and daily driven in the summer (weather permeating). I do plan on using Oil,Trans, and diff coolers, electric water pump, and UD pulley. The drive shaft will be CF CV's will be as well, Dual clutch is on order, and light weight fly-wheel.

As far as power 600-670H.P. At the wheels all N/a and with an red line of 7-8k (7500 would be perfect 8 a plus) Truth Be told I was looking at "Built" Short blocks that I could just add Head's, Cam's, etc. to. But I couldn't find much.... So it seems that It will have to be all custom, so what components and combinations should i be looking for?

Okay so what I want and what I would like you guys to help me with is below.

Any good short blocks?

What heads?

What Top end components/Kits should be used for reliability?

What Bottom end components/Kits should be used for reliability? (looking at diamond products)

Looking at comp cams Rpm (will call them later) (want to keep it street able)

Next is oil? can I use the Dry-sump system from the ls7?

Add anything else I'm missing please. And keep in mind that I want this motor LIGHT weight and quickly high revving as with the entire drive line

Also take note I'm reading through this site and it's massive amount of knowledge so if I'm a Lil ''slow'' on terms or my lack of knowledge in certain areas please forgive me.
Thanks for all you future help!

Last edited by The Black Stig; 12-06-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Also where could I find books/video dvd's (Assembly & Disassembly tips tricks and hints) on the LS3 engines? or General LS engines in general
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Teching In

I would like to added I'm thinking about having it sleeved as well and maybe 100 Shot of NO2 via the TB plate (For embarrassment purposes only :p)

Last edited by The Black Stig; 12-06-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the rigth parts Id say its possible for sure. Talk to one of the good engine builders out there. It might cost you a bit for the nice heads and lightened rotating assembley, lightweight valvetrain etc, but should be attainable for sure.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

What Bottom end components/Kits should be used for reliability? (looking at diamond products) if it waz me i,d use an ls7 crank an ti rods an go with diamond pistons..that crank will fit in any of the ls blocks ..i think, like 6.0 truck block or go alm block ls2..
i have ls7 crank an rods 4 sale ..i,m going with a 3.900 crank in my motor

Next is oil? can I use the Dry-sump system from the ls7?
you are going 2 need a ls7 crank ..because it has a long snout 2 work with the factory oil pump dry sump system ..there is nothing wrong with them ..that is what im going 2 use in my ls7 with a carb on it ....if u look in the 4 sale on here ..some one is selling the dry sump system in there very cheap look 4 it ...go back a least 20 pages..you,ll find it ..also 4 the dry sump tank look at patterson tanks.. they are around $ 400 for it ...
Old 12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Launching!

whats up with the yellow text??? jk

its possible but with some serious $$$$ (truth be told you could do a 1200HP turbo motor cheaper)

better look at short stroke, big bore, dry sump, TI valvetrain.. a serious set of heads plus other $$$ internals .....

high rpms with ITB's intake would be the ticket IMHO

or buy a "detuned" duplicate of this...scroll down ther is list of componets they used in comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr_gl2cgl1o

heres are some links that may help in the direction you want to go

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-updated.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-33-n-mir.html
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by abbaskhan
whats up with the yellow text??? jk

It's orange??? check your screen much lol.... it's an OCD thing.....

its possible but with some serious $$$$ (truth be told you could do a 1200HP turbo motor cheaper)

Not in this car, I will save that for later(future project), and it's not so much as power as it is durabilty and I want high a revving v8 with near flat power curve and make it spin up so damn fast it makes the devil run.

Better look at short stroke, big bore, dry sump, TI valvetrain.. a serious set of heads plus other $$$ internals .....
Check and thanks

high rpms with ITB's intake would be the ticket IMHO
Link..... I'm new in town.NVM found I was thinking a custom sheet metal intake...

or buy a "detuned" duplicate of this...scroll down ther is list of componets they used in comments
Way to ******* obvious and I would like to keep the factory engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr_gl2cgl1o

heres are some links that may help in the direction you want to go

T/Y

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...o-updated.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-33-n-mir.html
BTW I am wanting to build this myself and just out sourcing the tuning and machine work...... Put it this way give me parts and I assemble the Lego's .

Last edited by The Black Stig; 12-06-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The guy who is doing my car a shop hear in maryland called P.S.I. his girlfreinds car has a 427 ls3 with out of the box ET ls7 heads, ls7 intake, and a hydrolic cam i dont know the specs but it made just over 600hp to the wheels through a turbo 400. He said she spins it to 7200 to 7500 rpm.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want capability to daily drive 600+ hp with no power adders, you really need to look for more displacement. If you want to use LS3 block, you need to have it sleeved. This gives you option to get much larger in displacement. You will need very good heads, light valves and great springs. Don't normally equate high hp NA engines with long life - 7500-8000 rpm is more than most DD cars need.

Are you planning to put the Gen V on a diet?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by COPO9560
If you want capability to daily drive 600+ hp with no power adders, you really need to look for more displacement.
I was thinking that.... How big 427? I would really like 600H.P. to the ground.(plus a 100shot )
If you want to use LS3 block, you need to have it sleeved.
After some reading this also seems very logical.
This gives you option to get much larger in displacement. You will need very good heads, light valves and great springs.
Spit some brands out
Don't normally equate high hp NA engines with long life - 7500-8000 rpm is more than most DD cars need. Will i want it to be able to reach that RPM and stay up in that range on a long straight.... Now this would likely only be done once a week... not everyday day I just want it there for when I see that damn GTR again. I would like to see 50k before a rebuild

Are you planning to put the Gen V on a diet?
Plan? that bitch is already on treadmill.... LOL I'm shooting for 3500-3600lbs and I plan on losing a few pounds as well.... The drivetrain is being lightein as well

I've read a few threads and I picked up the idea that a sheet metal intake is not all that great for the stret but the engines in question were making over 700. Would i need to be worried about this with in my planned power lvl's?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this going in a new camaro cause for a street car that heavy wouldnt you want more low end torque then a high rpm motor would make?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Launching!

it is orange !!

i would think you wanna keep alot of cubes (400plus)
take in to account to the rpms you wanna push.....with a smaller motor your not gonna move a 3600lb car out that fast...so again i would think more cubes

try looking this route

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/forum/e...h-ls-2482.html

and i dont think you will end up keeping a "factory" engine in any sense of the word
if you meant keeping your block then sleeves from darton would work

heads...all pro or do you wanna be a test mule for the edelbrock lsr heads?? ther are quite a few options out ther

itb's....

http://www.extrudabody.com/index_tech.html

http://www.extrudabody.biz/servlet/t...its/Categories

good luck!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by abbaskhan
it is orange !!

i would think you wanna keep alot of cubes (400plus)
take in to account to the rpms you wanna push.....with a smaller motor your not gonna move a 3600lb car out that fast...so again i would think more cubes

try looking this route

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/forum/e...h-ls-2482.html

and i dont think you will end up keeping a "factory" engine in any sense of the word
if you meant keeping your block then sleeves from darton would work

heads...all pro or do you wanna be a test mule for the edelbrock lsr heads?? ther are quite a few options out ther

itb's....

http://www.extrudabody.com/index_tech.html

http://www.extrudabody.biz/servlet/t...its/Categories

good luck!!!

Want to keep it semi stock looking.... I might just lower that rpm to 7300 and a shift point of 6800-7000. For the point of durability and reliability it will be sleeved and @ 427cubes maybe bigger? maybe 440? But I'm keeping my factory block
Old 12-07-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can sleeve and keep your factory block out to 454 cubes, then 700 is easy!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ringram
You can sleeve and keep your factory block out to 454 cubes, then 700 is easy!
doable, but not "easy" before even thinking of your redline, you have to think or perhaps research when the motor will hit its peak power, because a few hundred rpms after peak power is where you would want to shift, any higher and you're going slower (if thts what you want lol)

If there is a receipe to make an LS7 or stroked LS3 peak at 7000rpms then redline at 7500ish then im in. I dont know how possible this is without a HUGE cam, and a whole lot of researching on heads that can acheive those flow numbers, not to mention intake manifold, throttle body, and exhaust etc...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Intake manifold will alter torque peak IIRC. You will have to dump the composite.
Speak to Eric, 700bhp in a 457 is one of his standard builds. Im sure Chris from CC can provide more info
Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I having that issue, looking at an fast 102 big intake Mani.... but airflow seems to be the key to me really doing this.....
Old 12-09-2009, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

600-670RWHP or Crank HP?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
600-670RWHP or Crank HP?
He wants it at the wheels. I think it is do-able with a 427" motor that turns about 7500. Talk to Erik at HKE, but I am pretty sure he'll tell you it's do-able. But like everyone said, it will require some pretty good heads and a very healthy hyd roller.

I don't know about the whole intake deal... if you are planning on building it yourself, then getting a combo together is probably something you will have to spec yourself. I doubt if the top guys are gonna give you their power making combos for free, it is how they feed their families and they have invested lots of time into researching what makes power and what doesn't.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

without a big *** cam and some serious compression 650rwhp will NOT be possible.

Yes some have gone beyond 600rwhp but those were allout road race cars and no one gave a damn how those cars drove on the street, if thats what the OP islooking for, although I doubt that. Again, its more than just an intake manifold to get peak power wher eyou need it to be to justify spinning to about 7500rpms.

Quick Reply: LS3 @ 600-670H.p. with 7000-8000RPM possible?