Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Could we see direct injected v-8s soon from GM???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah we talked about that to, but if they fall what will keep uaw in bussiness. i'd be happy to take there jobs for way less, i have a passion for vehicles and cars. I love to read study and learn as much as i can about gm an its engine line up
Old 11-22-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
i mean don't get me wrong some people there should be pay $20 to $30 an hour, but i'm sure not all of those jobs need that much cash. I wish i could work at gm some day or in a gm service garage.
$20-$30? That's about half of what the line workers make right now. If they could cut it back to that, it would really help.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
$20-$30? That's about half of what the line workers make right now.
No, it's not.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DI, is pretty amazing. It allows higher CR, and better efficiency. Also the thing I love is its resistance to detonation qualities. A DI LSX with VVT and 6 psi will be an absolute terror.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Screw the unions. DI on a ls1 would be insane. I doubt we'll see anything like that for lsx anytime soon.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LILS
i'm just saying i'd be very happy to make 20bucks an hour or 15, I'd like to get some health coverage and i'd be the happiest man in the world
Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep this on track. It's about DI on a V-8, not union pay. Take that argument to the Racers lounge.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the high compression is a function of the variable valve timing enabled by direct injection, rather than just the direct injection itself. Others may no better, but I believe it lets them delay the intake closing to create an Atkinson cycle.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:09 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Think of the possibilities of taking an ls1 that currently makes 350rwhp with normal bolt ons. Then lets add direct injection, bump up the compression ratio to 12:1 and I bet the rwhp figure would jump to a solid 380-390 especially since you getter better fuel atomization and resulting better combustion. Now add a set of ported heads, a bigger cam, and you could see more 500rwhp 5.7l ls1s and they'd make an honest 20mpg around town, that's if you could keep your foot out of the happy pedal.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope the cooling effects of direct injection make the intake charge more detonation resistant. Which allows for the higher CR and also allows for higher CR in conjunction with boost.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Think of the possibilities of taking an ls1 that currently makes 350rwhp with normal bolt ons. Then lets add direct injection, bump up the compression ratio to 12:1 and I bet the rwhp figure would jump to a solid 380-390 especially since you getter better fuel atomization and resulting better combustion. Now add a set of ported heads, a bigger cam, and you could see more 500rwhp 5.7l ls1s and they'd make an honest 20mpg around town, that's if you could keep your foot out of the happy pedal.

It was more of an emmissions thing for diesels, I don't think will see 500horse 400 maybe. diesel maintain about a 18:1 compression most of them do some ar ein the 20:1 category
Old 12-04-2008, 05:12 AM
Launching!

I don't think we'll see a direct injected pushrod LS engine.

There is not enough space between the intake port and the pushrod passage to place the injector.

The only solution would be to raise the intake port by ~1-2-inches and place the injector under it. This would increase the head and intake manifold height by quite a bit which would result it hood clearance issues in passenger car applications.

We'll likely see DI on the OHC LS engine replacement.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:30 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, look at the base camaro, it's getting a direct injected v-6, the same one that's in the caddy cts, so the height of the motor shouldn't be an issue.

I'm just guessing on what the future of the small block chevy could go.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes it is very possible, I've never actually seen any ls series heads up close but, I've worked with SBC heads. To my point these injectors come in alot of different sizes. I use to clean them, cummins injectors where about the size an length of an oversize pen. Looking at the mechanism I'm sure it would be entirely possible to shorten it down by 1in or more, and get it in between them. Since they won't have to withstand the higher compression of diesels they could be made thinner to. To be efficient your going to want a good mist, you need alot of PSI for this the diesel injectors topped off at i think 3700+ the common rail on the new dodges is about 20000psi. You really got to be careful around them it can shoot wright through your hand an kill you without even noticing
Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

if gm decides to make a di v8, i think we would see an end to the lsx platform

i say this because they would have to redisign the entire engine, and a new generation of engine would be born

in order to incorperate di and still keep the pushrod disign would be a task and i know the d-max is di and pushrod but the silverado has the room for a huge head
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

With there being no current hard products in the auto world that could be put on an LS based motor, the gains per cost for one person to modify there motor may be a little too stretched apart. I can't see anyone modifying a factory LSx head to run DI and the process to create a head to do such would be astronomically expensive for the regular Joe to pick up 40hp and some MPG. I can see it being beyond the practical or rational reach of some of the bigger aftermarket companies as well.

The same thing happened with the 32 Valve Ls2&7 heads by Arao and those were priced at I believe $7,500 bucks. They claimed 100hp gain over 2 Valve heads depending on the setup and they flow an out of the box 400CFM at .600" lift. Those are some amazing numbers but the price was more than a set of worked All-Pros.

I can see the INITIAL price of a DI head for the LS motors being that of the Arao head but with only half the gains and they still have to prove themselves as prototypes, go through production, and be picked up as a trend amongst the consumers and that's just the basics.

Cliffnotes...Sweet idea but it's gonna take some money...
Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

The already killed high feature v-8 was going to have DI. We didn’t get DI in the us because our fuel had too much sulfur and the injectors would foul
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a lot of cars sold in the U.S. with DI. The new V6 Camaro, the Mazdapseed3, and the evo10 to name a few. I'll bet 50% of the new engines released will be di within 8 years across all manufacturers.

Don't worry about parts from the aftermarket. We will be SCRAMBING to get our hands on o.e. parts to reverse engineer and improve upon. Wiseco released our 4b11t evo 10 and Mazdspeed3 2.3 DISI pistons within a year after the first ones hit the streets. There were a few tricky things to those piston designs, but nothing that can't be handled with enough money.

As for the Gen 5, you'll start seeing parts released within one year after the first one hits the streets. Cam Phaser development is even more exciting. How about off-the-shelf 13:1 DI pistons for the guys in E-85 country!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

also the turbo sky and solstice are, which leads me to believe the turbo cobalts are too.

im going to assume the piston surface is shaped like a diesel piston for the di spray pattern?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The sulfur issue really isn't much of an issue anymore as the goverment has regulated down the max allowed sulfur much lower. A lot of companies are cracking sweet crude anyways which has a much lower sulfur content to begin with.

I think DI is the next wave of 'standard' engine features just as multi port and coil per cylinder already is.