Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

can you make the coolant dummy gauge read accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you make the coolant dummy gauge read accurate?

was tuning my car the other night and when my temp gauge reads 180 on the dash hp tuners and the diablo both comfirm im really at 205-212.. i know these gauges are always messed up in these cars but was wondering if any way to correct them...
Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do you have 180 on the gauge?
the '98-02 has 210F straight up on the gauge,
my take on it is it is accurate, you just don't have the linear needle movement on the gauge in the range around 190 - 220 F. The needle moves very little.
I've used a scangauge plugged into the OBD port while driving and watched the temp it reported: the needle on mine stays just below the 210 mark on the gauge when scangauge reads around 185 to 200, at 210 on the scangauge the needle is straight up on 210, and at ~230 the needle is slightly to the right of 210 barely noticeable.

i believe it's a type of thermistor used in the coolant sensor, I came across an article a couple years ago describing it. something like a bias thermistor, non-linear, or some **** where it was not a linear resistance vs temperature curve. And the article was geared toward automotive so i immediately thought of the 1998+ F-body temp gauges. So I think it's mostly due to the sender, although once you change that you need a new gauge that will read the new thermistor accurately because the entire temperature vs resistance relationship changes that the gauge (or pcm) is programmed for.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 11-19-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

found it:

http://www.thermometrics.com/htmldocs/whatis.htm

The unique patented design Composite Thermistor contains 2 NTC and 1 PTC thermistors and has a resistance temperature characteristic similar to a single NTC but with a region of constant resistance.

Designed for driving automotive coolant temperature gauges, the composite sensor resistance is virtually constant over a specified range, which results in a steady centre dial gauge reading during normal engine operation. Hot and cold zone sensitivity are retained, so that motorists are warned of abnormal conditions. With careful selection of the plateau region, the same type of device can be used in a wide variety of operation systems, so that the production economics are compatible with the requirements of our automotive customers.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Do a search (for get which subforum but its on this site) i posted a sticky on how to fix this a long time ago................
Old 11-23-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

JPR's sticky thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...tructions.html

Quick Reply: can you make the coolant dummy gauge read accurate?