Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

turbo compressor map generating

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo compressor map generating

I was wondering if there was a way of generating a compressor map for a turbo by measurements as apossed to using a flow meter of sorts. I guess I am just a little fuzzy as to how a map is generated in the first place. I have no problem using one to pick a turbo for an aplication or seeing the efficiancy range but was wondering how they are generated. G
Old 12-25-2008, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

to build a compressor map, a turbocharger is operated on a test stand, where a diesel fuel fired burner feeds hot air into the turbine and drives the compressor. the test stand operator hass complete control over the burners air supply and fuel flow to simulate virtually any engine exhaust flow parameter. Meanwhile the test stand operator also has complete control over the compressor discharge stack leaving the turbochargers compressor. fully instrumented, the test stand is able to collect all of the flow parameters of a turbochargers compressor and turbine. the data points are collected at various speeds and choke conditions allow for the mapping of compressor and turbine flow characteristics. these maps are useful as each compressor and turbine combination is matched and applied to engines. hope this helped
Old 12-25-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats kind of what I thought but was wondering if there a mathmatical solution to mapping turbos. But By your description a physical flow test of the turbo would be still the most accurate and quite possibly the only way to map one. Thanks. G
Old 01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aerodynamics do a lot of funky things inside the wheel's design, therfore a mathematical model would be impossible to generate without expensive software. The wheels alone are designed/modelled by aerodynamicists!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forcedinductions.com/helpadvanced.htm

This should help...
Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
That definately helped. Thanks

Quick Reply: turbo compressor map generating