Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Broke bolt head of head bolt!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke bolt head of head bolt!!! HELP

I was fixing my stripped header bolt on the header. I took the head off to find that one of the top head bolts have been broken off. I need to get that bolt out and fix what I have to from there on. I will probbally need a tap on the threads to clean the threads out. Here are some pics of the broken bolt. Someone please give me some good ideas on how to remove the bolt. I also need to know the thread pattern to get a tap to clean the bolt holes.

Please give me some good ideas on how to remove that bolt. Thanks Trevor
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not really advanced engineering tech and perhaps should be moved but here goes:

With that much of the bolt still visible it should be easy to remove. You can use some pliers or vice grip style locking pliers to remove it if you don't have a stud extractor. If it is really stubborn, heat the bolt and drizzle some candle wax on it, this will seep into the threads and help loosen it. As a last resort, weld a nut to the exposed portion and back it out. The threads should be fine unless it it cross threaded (which it doesn't appear to be from the pic) if the threads are damaged, the bolt is an 8mmX1.25 metric thread. You should repair the threads with a re-thread or heli-coil kit. If you don't understand these procedures, you may want to seek experienced help before you damage your deck surface and or block.

Shane
Old 05-22-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never heard of heating the part that you are going to remove. i usually heat around it to make the materiel expand and that is what makes it easier to get the bolt out. but obviously you do not heat an aluminum block.

i think welding a bolt on top of it is your best solution if you can not get it out with pliers
Old 05-23-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything you can do was already posted your thread below, there is no magic solution

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...head-help.html

Quick Reply: Broke bolt head of head bolt!!! HELP