Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Coating Chambers and Runners???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coating Chambers and Runners???

Has anyone ever thought of coating combustion chambers or intake runners with something similar to Teflon? I know teflon wouldn't last in a combustion chamber but something similar that could last would make a set of ported heads perform longer...less carbon build , less friction...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Found a company that says they do it...this is what they have to say about it:

http://www.pm-fl.com/catalog/coating...d58fe024d7c331

Cylinder Head Coatings

Combustion chambers, valve faces and oil valley areas are all critical to making horsepower and longevity. We coat the combustion chambers and valve faces with a thermal barrier ceramic coating for several reasons. The thermal barrier coating prevents the combustion heat from seeping through the chamber and into the oil / water passages. This results in reduced oil & water temperatures under hard driving. We often hear of a solid 10 degree drop in temperature from our customers.

Another reason for coating the chambers and valve faces is to prevent detonation. The coating has the ability to spread the heat over the surface instead of concentrating the heat in one spot. By spreading the heat over the entire chamber surface, it stops the buildup of “hot spots,” which are the source of detonation. Depending on your setup, this can allow you to run more boost or more compression, because of the detonation reduction. We have run over 12.0:1 compression on our coated heads on LS1 powered cars (GTO, Camaro, etc..) on PUMP GAS without detonation. We normally advise 11.0-11.6:1 compression on LS powered cars seeking naturally aspirated power without detonation risk.

Another benefit of the coating is that the coated valve face prevents heat from traveling up the backside and the stem. This allows for cooler incoming air on the intake side and longer lifespan for exhaust valves as they run cooler. Coating the oil valley area with our thermally lubricated thermal dispersant allows the oil to drain back more quickly (as the coating is slippery) and allows the oil to pick up the heat from the head more easily and dissipate it faster. This is especially important for engines that tend to trap the oil up top and not drain back fast enough. Road racing and even drag racing cars can benefit from this coating.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

Ask them how long they guarantee their coating to stay on and if they will recoat them for free after you pull the heads in the fall.

A lot of what they said in that section is a sales pitch that leaves out some information.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:45 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm...I'll see what I can find out online about this...I may email them and see what I can find out too...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im new with gm motors with the plastic intake but on a normal cast intake mani, and heads, like on a normal small block supposedly its better to have a rough finish rather than smooth, the rough air makes the fuel mix better...I've heard it from quite a few top racers...Then again maybe that was only with carbed motors? i dont remember, it would make sense
Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Notmyvette
Im new with gm motors with the plastic intake but on a normal cast intake mani, and heads, like on a normal small block supposedly its better to have a rough finish rather than smooth, the rough air makes the fuel mix better...I've heard it from quite a few top racers...Then again maybe that was only with carbed motors? i dont remember, it would make sense
Its actually to increase riction between the metal and the air.....

This results in a thin layer of air that sits stationary to the metal. so you end up with the only firction being air on air.

Chris.

Quick Reply: Coating Chambers and Runners???