Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

self power generating electrical car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Op if it were that easy it would have been done already.

Perpetual motion doesn't seem so far fetched in theory but reaity is a different story, it sounds simple you point a flashlight at a solar panel and have the solar panel power the flashlight. Unfortunately it just doesn't work
Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmaurice876
What about the Atmos clock?
The Atmos clock uses the natural daily variations in atmospheric pressure to wind itself. They are very delicate intricate machines but will last indefinitely if left alone. They are fascinating pieces of engineering.

Shane
Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Teching In

parts eventually wear out, even though the clock would last forever if friction wasnt a factor. this falls under the 99.999 (reapeating till its painfull to keep typing 9's) percent efficent catagory. I also have something to add to my perpetual atom theory. the universe. all energy inside the universe is constant, even when there is a transfer of energy that energy never leaves the universe (as far as we know) so the universe is a self sustained mass that is always in motion. anythoughts on that one, thought of it while I was on the toilet transfering some energy.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Might be easier to wait for cold fusion cars.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Teching In

I say we should harness the power of sex, the world would never go dark.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kmsZ28
Might be easier to wait for cold fusion cars.
That will only happen if the fuel for cold fusion can be produced from petroleum oil and the major oil companies will still make billions of dollars of profits still. Else, they will just buy out the patents and destroy them.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by twelver12
Op if it were that easy it would have been done already.

I hate when people say this!

The guy who was running the patent office around 1900 said he wanted to close the patent office because everything that can be invented has been....

Everyday something pops up that makes someone say " I wish I had thought of that it's so simple!"

There are a lot of things that aren't being done that are easy to some. Just takes someone to want to do them.

The comment I am making here has nothing to do with the OPs idea. Just the comment I quoted
Old 08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Teching In

to go with the thread the only way you can get any kind of power from driving is to covert any unused power back into the system and there is only one kind that is when you slow down the the power to do that is wasted if you look up some of the new E cars they have small gens on them that will help slow down the car and put power back in the car just like small lights on bikes that go on the rim. i do not know if GM is doing this but thats some things to help

now for all this energy talk yes there is many way not to use gas and there out there but the fact is its all about cost if you do not think that gas is way over priced and it can not go lower you are way off they are going to just keep it under all outher new age power ways so that they can not get a start up and this will happen till gas is truly more and can not do this under bid any more
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowridn73
parts eventually wear out, even though the clock would last forever if friction wasnt a factor. this falls under the 99.999 (reapeating till its painfull to keep typing 9's) percent efficent catagory. I also have something to add to my perpetual atom theory. the universe. all energy inside the universe is constant, even when there is a transfer of energy that energy never leaves the universe (as far as we know) so the universe is a self sustained mass that is always in motion. anythoughts on that one, thought of it while I was on the toilet transfering some energy.
I believe the general hypothesis is that the universe is expanding but will stop expanding at some point and start to collapse inward until it is once again "nothing." So, not even the universe falls under perpetual motion, I don't think.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Teching In

the theory is expansion and contraction, its called the oscillating big bang theory, all objects are drawn togeather until critical mass is reached at which point the "big bang" occurs scattering the universe again. under this theory mass/energy is never lost and I believe its still widely accepted that this holds true for most every theory. the idea that all things just come to an end seems more along the lines of a religious theory where things are created and will one day be destroyed.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
and we're worried about them and WMD

Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Default Nothing is free.

The energy required to turn anything on a vehicle that would provide any type of power requires additional power to operate it. The best way to look at it is that nothing is free.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out the link at www.fiskarautomotive.com.I've read they're re-tooling an old outdated car mfg .plant to make these on the East coast.Thats the closest to "self powered", as of yet.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

There is a way for this to happen one day, just not feasible with the technology we have now. I.E. We aren't smart enough to trick physics just yet.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Teching In

If a generator has no electrical load it is very easy to spin. Start sucking electric power from it and it gets progessively harder and harder to turn. Look at a big diesel genset. Why do you think they use a whopping big diesel if they could use a lawn mower engine to drive it? Easy. for every 100kW of electricity you pull out you need to put about 105kW of mechanical energy in. Simple as that. Once the add-on generator of you electric car starts to feed the battery, it gets gets harder to turn and starts to slow the car down! The very same way that regenerative braking works on an electric car. The hard-to-turn generator (traction motor) slows the car down as it pumps up the batteries. All part of "the cussedness of nature".
Old 10-02-2010, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wimimc
the other day i thought of another possible way to start a car. though its not exactly what you were talking about it may give some ideas.

now i'm not sure if it would actually work, it was just the thought

i have Louvers on my third gen and i though, what if in the middle sections i replaced that, or part of each row, with strips of those solar pads. i then run it to the passenger fender wheel well where its met by a battery relocation type kit.

in that well the generator or solar battery would rest.

if a person didnt want the louvers then they could apply a solar film which could almost act as a hatch tint. ( i checked they have flexible solar film)
though i do not know if its transparent
After you purchase the solar panels, you will have already spent more money than you would save in gas.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 PM
ZMX
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ericmck2000
If you study quantum physics, you will realize that the laws of physics, have many many holes in them.
Everything relevant to this thread has been well understood for about a hundred years. Where the lack of knowledge comes in is with understanding how atoms and sub-atomic particles interact (More than a trillion trillion times smaller than us), and how things such as galaxies and quasars interact (More than a trillion trillion times larger than us).

But, sadly , perpetual motion has not been invented yet.
Throw a rock in outer space.

The problem isn't perpetual motion. The problem is finding places to convert energy into a usable form (electrical, mechanical, or two adjacent zones of differing heat)

On the physics side, looking at it from a therotical standpoint, Water is actually a much better fuel then gasoline.

Using the e=mc2 thing.... Energy = mass * (velocity of light) ^ 2... So...
A fuel with a heavier mass, therotically has more energy.

Pure Water is 1000kg/cu.m
Gasoline is 737.22kg/cu.m
That would be the amount of energy available in a complete anti-matter nuclear reaction, not a chemical reaction. Also, don't forget that cars don't just burn gas, they burn air as well.

All energy derived from chemical reactions (burning fuel, etc) comes from breaking or making bonds and releasing or consuming energy. Hydrogen and Oxygen are at a higher energy state than water, because when burned, they release energy. The hydrogen and oxygen release energy and move into a lower energy state: water. To break the bonds of water, you have to give it energy. ... the same exact amount of energy that is released when burning hydrogen. The energy released from burning gasoline is energy that was slowly stored by millions of years of sunlight photosynthesis from plants.

Last edited by ZMX; 12-16-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its not possible trust me in order to do this you have to have no energy lost as heat which is also im possible becuase of the resistance in the motor and also in the generator. the heat loss makes it impossible because energy is not created nor lost only converted into heat which eventually all of ur energy in your car would convert to heat and ud have a deadass car. dont u think something as simple as that has already been tried if that was the case we woulda had electric selp propulsion cars decades ago but the fact is, This cannot be done with todays technology. you would have to have some sort of way to convert all the heat back to useable energy or have an external source of energy such as the sun or wind energy entering the system to help compensate for the loss due to heat. i really hope for your sake u didnt send that to gm
Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
and we're worried about them and WMD

hahaha....
Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

you could use something that could work off the earths barometric pressures.maybe with a bronze tube and brass socket you would prob need alot of someting to even get power ......

Quick Reply: self power generating electrical car?