Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

self power generating electrical car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
No this is not possible. The generator is essentially a permanent magnet motor and it will take a motor larger than the generator to drive it to it's maximum potential. This is due to frictional loss of energy and you can't eliminate friction from the equation. So what you end up with is a motor that is larger than the generator is capable of powering on it's own. The battery will run the motor and generator for a while but all you are doing is adding more work to the motor by introducing the generator. Thus depleting the power source faster than if you had no generator at all. You may reduce friction and prolong the depletion but you will not eliminate it.

The only way you may achieve charging of the battery is if you used the generators as brakes and only drove downhill. If a person was interested in only making one way trips then you may have a market. But then someone will have to expend the energy to bring the car back up the hill.
looks like you are correct.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
looks like you are correct.
This is basically a more elequent way of saying what i said.

You cannot create more energy than you expend performing the operation to create it. If you could use low power motors to create gobs of energy via a higly efficient generator, the entire worlds energy problems would be solved.

But unless the rules of our universe change, this isnt possible.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

the other day i thought of another possible way to start a car. though its not exactly what you were talking about it may give some ideas.

now i'm not sure if it would actually work, it was just the thought

i have Louvers on my third gen and i though, what if in the middle sections i replaced that, or part of each row, with strips of those solar pads. i then run it to the passenger fender wheel well where its met by a battery relocation type kit.

in that well the generator or solar battery would rest.

if a person didnt want the louvers then they could apply a solar film which could almost act as a hatch tint. ( i checked they have flexible solar film)
though i do not know if its transparent
Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much more food would we have to eat if we just walked or biked everywhere? Why not just work closer to home and stop driving except for fun? Put an end to the "daily driver" and drive as a hobby. remodel your way of life. if everyone did, it would also solve a lot of the world's energy problems because let me tell you, most of the energy consumed in this world is to shuttle our own lazy asses around.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did the OP go to high school? i LOL'd when i saw this thread...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

ultimately we're gonna need lots of nuclear power plants (thorium or other fuel cycle for fissile, or fusion IF it ever happens), place induction loops in the travel lanes on every highway, and design electric cars (with power meters of course) and let the cars run on the electricity they gain from the induction loops while on-road. instead of paying for gas, the energy you used that month to drive would be included in your home electric bill. all the government's usage taxes will be tacked on also. but, can you say BORING CARS!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Teching In

in my opinion perpetual motion has been achieved by nature, the atom produces motion through protons neutrons and electrons, it is self sustaining.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowridn73
in my opinion perpetual motion has been achieved by nature, the atom produces motion through protons neutrons and electrons, it is self sustaining.
While this is true, there is no good way (yet) to take that energy without sustaining losses in the system, which throws out the perpetual portion.

Nothing will be able to perpetuate itself, unless you can eliminate all of the parasitic loss in the system, and since that is 99.99999999% impossible in the real world it wont happen
Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Teching In

although this is true that you could not take energy from the system, that proposes a system which is greater than that of perpetual motion, one that could not only sustain it self but generate power in excess, this implies it could produce or manufacture power, but power cannot be produced, only transferred. so in this context the idea that an atom within itself requires no energy for movement of its electrons and gives off no excess is directly in line with the requirements for perpetual motion, it is completely self sustaining. but you are correct in that any machine can never sustain energy without transferring or losing energy to an unwanted medium.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slowridn73
Im in no way a physicist but hear me out, isn't it made possible for the movement of protons, nuetrons, and electrons, thus chemical reactions because the environment we live in above Absolute Zero? In which case the movement is made possible due the the energy from sources like the sun? And since the sun will eventually deplete, i dont think you could consider it perpetual motion.

Another thing along the same line of thinking is someone once asked me what i thought would happen if you took a fully charged battery hooked a power inverter to it, and then had a battery charger plugged into the inverter with the leads from the charger going back to the battery to charge it. would it be self sustaining? NO! because we all know that things like battery chargers and power inverters produce heat, and the production of heat prove the loss of energy from the system

Last edited by 1994Z28Lt1; 07-24-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can it be done? here is a mail that i sent to GM today, what do you think? :

Hello, i have a suggestion on producing a self power generating electrical car. i hope it will work. we need such cars due to pollution and problems associated with the pollution.

why don't you install a generator that generates electricity power in a electrical car (car with electrical motor) that this generator is spun by the electrical motor of the car and generates enough power to be stored in the car's battery while operating and using (motivating) the car this way the car will generate power by itself for itslef the electrical motor will make enough power to motivate the car and yet enough power to spin the generator to produce enough elecrical power to be stored in the car's battery to motivate the car.

when the power stored in the battery is full you cut supplying the battery with power from generator using relays or in some how,

when the battery needs power you connect the generator to bettery and supply power from the generator and so on and so fourth.

let me know what do you think.

thanks.

Abdullah
so did GM send you a response?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Im not an expert either, but absolute zero would require you to remove all energy from an atom so teoretically you have disrupted perpetual motion by a transfer of energy, but in reference to the no sun theory I dont believe space is absolute zero, because if you were correct in that an atom ceases to exist without the sun then a space suttle would sustain damage on the side oposite the sun as it will recieve no heat. my question to you is, if you place an atom in absolute zero does it cease to exist?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Teching In

and please forgive my spelling as i have consumed an amount of alcohol that my old english teacher would not approve of. maybe I should write to GM before the effects wear off, I've got this great Idea for a car that makes its own energy, I dont think anyone has suggested that yet.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol good read
Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Teching In

What about the Atmos clock?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

No. You cannot get back more energy than you put in.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Nikoli Tesla's electric Packard

I think you will find this article of interest:

http://keelynet.com/energy/teslcar.htm

Check out the original article and commentary at the bottom of the page.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 08-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Teching In

with a direct drive unit and a 1:1 rear end ratio a tire would have to travel a distance of approx. 4.4 feet to achieve 90 mph. Not familiar with older vehicles like an arrow but im assuming the stock axel does not have a 1:1 ratio. seems that a custom axel would have been a little extreme for this type of experiment, this testimony seems syspect to me, like someone did the math for a tires distance of travel, approx 4.4 maybe. then multiplied by 1800rpm, motor speed, but didnt account for drivetrain. just my take on this artical, that said tesla was a genius so...
Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Launching!

can it be done? here is a mail that i sent to GM today, what do you think? :

Hello, i have a suggestion on producing a self power generating electrical car. i hope it will work. we need such cars due to pollution and problems associated with the pollution.

why don't you install a generator that generates electricity power in a electrical car (car with electrical motor) that this generator is spun by the electrical motor of the car and generates enough power to be stored in the car's battery while operating and using (motivating) the car this way the car will generate power by itself for itslef the electrical motor will make enough power to motivate the car and yet enough power to spin the generator to produce enough elecrical power to be stored in the car's battery to motivate the car.

when the power stored in the battery is full you cut supplying the battery with power from generator using relays or in some how,

when the battery needs power you connect the generator to bettery and supply power from the generator and so on and so fourth.

let me know what do you think.

thanks.

Abdullah
Although, it is possible to greatly increase efficiency with properly designed devices, sending a letter to GM is not going to make it happen.

I have been doing a lot of research the last few days on alternative fuel / free fuel / high efficiency solutions, And... Oddly enough, They HAVE invented cars that run on straight water. No gasoline or other form of fuel whatsoever. But, sadly enough, the guy who did this, All of his work magically disappointed and he died of a O/D in a parking lot. Tesla invented free electricity, If you research on this, you will discover westinghouse, shut the door on him because.... There was no way to meter it. He also invented ways of transferring energy via something like a radio wave. He had a old electronic powered vehicle, with no on board energy source at all. It was powered via electric transferred via the air. I can't explain how it works, but, if you dig around on the internet, there is a lot of documentation.

Point being... The greatest obstacle to invention and technology, is, major cooperations. Lots of great inventions and technology over the years have just "disappeared."

Sorry for the wall of text..... haha.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mwg2600
perpetual motion machine Is not possible. you would have to rewrite all the laws of physics.
If you study quantum physics, you will realize that the laws of physics, have many many holes in them. But, sadly , perpetual motion has not been invented yet. But, water powered cars have!

On the physics side, looking at it from a therotical standpoint, Water is actually a much better fuel then gasoline.

Using the e=mc2 thing.... Energy = mass * (velocity of light) ^ 2... So...
A fuel with a heavier mass, therotically has more energy.

Pure Water is 1000kg/cu.m
Gasoline is 737.22kg/cu.m

So, by following the physics here, water contains more potential energy then gasoline. But, in todays technologly, This involves breaking h20 into HHO.
This requires enough energy to break apart the bonds...... Which, usually ends up consuming more energy then its worth to make it pratical. Although, There was somebody who did a hellova job at it and made a awesome water powerd car that broke down the bond inside of the combustion chamber somehow...........

Quick Reply: self power generating electrical car?