Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Modifications Necessary To Use Gen I Rods

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modifications Necessary To Use Gen I Rods

I need to know what modifications are necessary to use Gen I rods in an LS build. I have an expensive, nice set of 6.25" long Crower titanium rods that I was going to use in a Gen I build but got pulled into the allure of building LS motors and have really never looked back. Because of the rod length is unusual, I'm not going to get my money out of them so I might as well look into the modifications that will make them usable for me. Can anyone detail these mods?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need a piston with a custom compression height dependant upon your choice of stroke. Do you know what bore and stroke you are going for? The piston may be a shelf stock part for some manufacturers.

Shane
Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shane,

I am aware of the piston compression height. I did actually find an off the shelf unit that will work. I've got an LS6 and will be using the stock stroke along with the 6.25" rods. I need a compression height of 1.179. Probe has a piston for a 3.900" stroke and a 6.125" rod. It's part number is 14228-PS-C373. It shares the compression height that I need.

My question is actually based on the modifications needed for the rod itself. There is something to do with correcting the off-set of the SBC rod and the fact that SBC rods are chamfered at the big end and apparently LS rods are not. It's these type of issues that I'm questioning.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not completely positive but aren't conventional small block rod journals (2.100in) larger than ls rod journals? That means you would have to use a thicker bearing or custom crankshaft.

I was reading in engine masters about Robin Lawrance's LSX build for that nova and he was originally having problems with scalloping of the bearings due to crankshaft deflection. To correct the problem he dropped the stroke down and brought the motor from a 454 to a 434 inch motor and had a custom crankshaft built that utilized small chevy 2.100 rod journals for added strength.

Anyhow maybe that will give you something to look into. As far as the chamfering goes a chamfered rod can go on a non chamfered crankshaft but not vice versa. But the bearing itself is what you have to worry about most. P series bearings are for normal stock style crankshafts and H bearings are for your better aftermarket style cranks utilizing .125 fillets for added strength.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can see my post in the gen III forum
Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no modifications necessary. The rods interchange. The only difference is the offset. LS1 rods are "on-center" whereas SBC rods have an offset between the big end and little end. Back before LS1 rods were common, I build many, many LS engines with 6.125 SBC rods. FWIW, the connecting rod bearings for LS and SBC are the same part.

Shane
Old 07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

so is there any reason why one would choose the LS rods over the SBC then?? Does that offset make the rod weaker?? If it does, does it even matter, say, below 1000 whp??
Old 07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive used sbc rods in ls engines before as well. no biggie. i will be using them in my next build. as matter of fact. with custom compression height pistons.
and bore.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
There are no modifications necessary. The rods interchange. The only difference is the offset. LS1 rods are "on-center" whereas SBC rods have an offset between the big end and little end. Back before LS1 rods were common, I build many, many LS engines with 6.125 SBC rods. FWIW, the connecting rod bearings for LS and SBC are the same part.

Shane
That's great info. thanks for your post.

Quick Reply: Modifications Necessary To Use Gen I Rods