Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

New Generation Ls motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Generation Ls motor?

Now I'm not sure if this is the correct section to be posting this but i figured this would be a good place to throw a link that talks about evidence of a new generation ls motor.

http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/power-ls5-5-5l-2938.html

Enjoy guys, mods move this if you need to.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Teching In

thought I read somewhere that they are proposing a switch to overhead cams also?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Mmx
Teching In

I hope they don't switch to overhead cams. Been there done that and the theoretical advantages of the overhead cam look better on paper than they actually work out in real life. More power per unit of displacement. Whoopie, now we get to cruise around at higher rpms. I don't expect to see an increase in power if they switch to OHC - because of packaging constraints we'll get stuck with smaller displacement. Sure there are GREAT powerful big displacement OHC engines from Mercedes, Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. but the LSx can match them for power with equal or better reliability and less complexity.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Teching In

makes me wonder how big the engine is going to be if they do decide to do the ohc design, and if they do take that leap whats to say they wouldnt go for a dohc design in the near future, I know that effeciency is getting to the top of the list on design problems. either way there should be enough pushrod parts to last me till Im gone and forgotten.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Mmx
Teching In

Originally Posted by slowridn73
makes me wonder how big the engine is going to be if they do decide to do the ohc design, and if they do take that leap whats to say they wouldnt go for a dohc design in the near future, I know that effeciency is getting to the top of the list on design problems.
I don't think fuel efficiency is going to be a big deal. Even with a Congress right now that wants to "get tough" on fuel economy and a president who puts global warming at the top of his agenda - they haven't done anything and they won't do anything, it's pretty much all talk and industry lobbyists have too much money to let that happen. Besides, if they DID toughen restrictions on car engines, they'd still need to build truck engines. But OK, let's assume for the sake of argument that the Congress and Senate raised fuel efficiency standards for cars. Still doesn't give an advantage to overhead cam setup. In fact you could build an OHV direct injection engine that is more fuel efficient and less complex than an OHC design.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Launching!

GM has been working on a dual cam IN block design for years now. I have seen CAD drawings of it a while back. Engineers come up with some slick ****! But I don't see the pushrod engine going any where as far as GM is concerned.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

I've heard it's a cam in block 5.5L with direct injection initially in the Corvette. Source:Jalopnik iirc. Makes sense to me. Current GT2 Corvette is at 5.5l and DI is the next step logically. It permits high static compression and is a boon for forced induction. Other sources have claimed the Z06 will remain with the smaller displacement with a supercharger. The ZR1 will go away.

I for one think Direct Injection will be a boon. especially if the heads bolt to the current block. Then we'll need the aftermarket to step up with the 1200psi+ capable fuel systems.

Ford has already said their new 5.0 is ready to go for direct injection when needed...
We will see I guess...
Old 08-28-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor Trend article says GM is investing $890 million into this new small block program for the C7 vette. It will be around 5.5 liters, all aluminum block and heads like the LSx, same overhead valve events, etc but suppose to be very inexpensive and produce around 440hp... They said that there are test mules running around Detroit with them in now. That would be cool to run into one and check it out although on the outside, Im sure it will look the same.