Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LS2 TB Butterfly Axle...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 TB Butterfly Axle...

Can someone guide me on how to disassemble and have in hand (and put back in...) the butterfly axle from my OEM 90mm Throttle Body?

My intent is NOT to machine, grind or modify the body of the Throttle-Body...just the butterfly axle...as on the pictures here (or similar)

My concern is with the electronic of the butterfly command on the LS2 Fly by Wire TB.
To access the axle I need to dismount the four screws visible on the pictures below...and I have no clue of what I am going to find when I will take the top off...

Appreciate all the help.
Thanks in advance
Christian
Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Can someone guide me on how to disassemble and have in hand (and put back in...) the butterfly axle from my OEM 90mm Throttle Body?

My intent is NOT to machine, grind or modify the body of the Throttle-Body...just the butterfly axle...as on the pictures here (or similar)

My concern is with the electronic of the butterfly command on the LS2 Fly by Wire TB.
To access the axle I need to dismount the four screws visible on the pictures below...and I have no clue of what I am going to find when I will take the top off...

Appreciate all the help.
Thanks in advance
Christian
Dont want to dampen your enthusiasm but when these TB's are flowed they offer no meaningful restriction.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

All I can say is I dont know how in the hell you take the shaft out. I have one sitting beside me that was making my car go into reduced engine power mode and I wanted to see what was inside. These things were never meant to be serviceable. I used a small flat screw driver and hammered it into the head of the screw. Basically it pushed the center pin over and slide into two of the points in the screw head if that makes sense. Then once you get the cap off, good luck.

FWIW, you can do all that while it is still in the TB. I did that to a 78mm DBW TB. A dremel comes in handy.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Launching!

I think the end of the shaft is welded to hold the TPS actuator. This in turn holds the return spring assembly, and I assume there is a circlip behind the spring. You would ned to grind down the weld to remove the actuator and spring assembly. Ultimately detroying the TB...