Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Requesting information: LS1 heads on Ford engine blocks

Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Requesting information: LS1 heads on Ford engine blocks

I'm posting here because this seems to be the better choice. I have heard a lot of people talking about the "LS1 being of Ford design" and that Ls1 heads will bolt up directly with some Ford blocks. I have yet to find any creditable information about this and was wondering if any of you have read anything about it, or have any first hand experience with it. Links to sources would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan
Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I always thought they were full of ****. I hear that over here in California every now and then. Read this discussion thread: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...eads-ford.html
the LS1 bore spacing and head bolt pattern are nearly identical, apparently a couple of head bolt holes in the head are slightly off in the corners but only slightly, he says that if you install these heads on a 351 block and bore the head bolt holes out to 1/2" to accomodate the windsor block you can easily correct the small discrepancy. he said the bigges problem he would have would be getting a cam custom ground to match the swapped valve pattern of the LS1 head and either adapting an intake or doing as he's doing and building a custom sheetmetal piece.
Definitely NOT a bolt-on...

Here are a few more links:
The google cache of the original thread: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Another discussion: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...heads-sbf.html

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-13-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Ok so far from what I could gather it seems that the heads will bolt on with slight modification to the bolt holes(on the block) but there are a couple of differences other than that. It appears that the bore pitch is different (4.4 on LS1 and 4.38 on the sbf they are using). some people were saying that the angle of the pushrods would be such that you may need to modify the rocker arm location. Also, the cam layout is different. The sbf is IEIEIEIE where the LS1 is EIEIEIEI. They were also saying that some of the coolant passages needed to be filled in because they wouldn't be usable on that engine.

Basic conclusion thus far: While these heads may bolt on, there is no direct relation in the design of the two engines.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
Basic conclusion thus far: While these heads may bolt on, there is no direct relation in the design of the two engines.
That has been my basic conclusion as well. The commonly-available "How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s - Modifying and Tuning Gen III Engines for GM Cars & Pickups" book also delves into the design history of the LS motors and is a somewhat interesting (if not 100% informative) read.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

I've read through a good amount of the first book. Not the tuning one though. Thanks for the links by the way. You saved me a lot of time searching haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Requesting information: LS1 heads on Ford engine blocks