Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Momentary engine cut module for WOT shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Momentary engine cut module for WOT shifts

I posted this in the manual transmission section but I thought it might apply to this section as well.

We are developing a momentary torque cut module for the GM LS engines using the factory electronics so that you can use face-plated and other similar transmissions and perform a full throttle clutchless shift.

Here is a link to the thread in the transmission section:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l#post14660233
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, as I am asking a serious question. How big can the market for this be? I just figured most of the people at that level would no longer be running a factory computer. I have had a few "niche market" ideas in the past, but after running the numbers, I never figured out how to make one profitable at a saleable dollar amount.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque cut module

No offense taken.

We are aware this is going to be a low volume product. The primary reasons we are able to justify producing the torque cut module are:
  • we wanted one for ourselves anyway (we are using the OEM ECM on our 1240 rwhp 2010 LS9 Camaro) so we were going to do the development work anyway
  • our existing 2-step product could be adapted to perform this function so some of the tooling/packaging can be shared with that product to help keep the cost down in low volumes
The fact that a lot of LS type engines exist in OEM vehicles and custom builds doesn't hurt either.

In addition the GM ECM's and software are able to control a wide variety of engines and software like EFILive and HPTuners make them fairly easy to calibrate and much less cost than a Motec, Bosch Motorsports, or other aftermarket ECU.

Originally Posted by gametech
Don't take this the wrong way, as I am asking a serious question. How big can the market for this be? I just figured most of the people at that level would no longer be running a factory computer. I have had a few "niche market" ideas in the past, but after running the numbers, I never figured out how to make one profitable at a saleable dollar amount.