Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Nascar moves to EFI next season

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nascar moves to EFI next season

Welcome to 1980īs

How much power would you be looking to pick up from the switch on the R07?

Will we see finally ITBīs and really making the most out of these engines at a professional level?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For safety they will likely restrict airflow still by either mandating throttle body size or using restrictors still. So they likely will make the same power levels as they currently do.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are going to pick up some power and fuel mileage for sure. I'm curious how NASCAR is going to regulated the engine mapping and tuning.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:26 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

If they really wanted to slow them down they would make them use production cars like they are suppose to be doing in the first place!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

They will most likely do what ASA as well as other series that use injection do... the officials will issue the team a computer... at the end of the day you will be required to turn it in and will most likely be issued a different on for the next day.. Restrictor plates are done similar to this at Daytona and Talladega. I wouldnt look for any exotic TB set ups.. thats not NASCAR'S style.. And as far as the timeless debate about the cars...people who do not know why the cars are the way they and could no longer be safely production based are ignorant about the sport
Old 08-21-2011, 10:17 PM

i think its good to finally see them switching over to fuel injection. as far as car being like its factory cousin, its all about safety.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:11 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
And as far as the timeless debate about the cars...people who do not know why the cars are the way they and could no longer be safely production based are ignorant about the sport
So put cages in them, racing seats, and harnesses with fireproofing etc. and limit the amount and quality of fuel so they arent overly powerfull. Then maybe we could have some actual sports cars in the show room. Its not that hard to come up with a solution. They shouldn't be called stock cars if they wana race race cars. Dont get me started on this subject you wont win!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ari G
Welcome to 1980īs

How much power would you be looking to pick up from the switch on the R07?

Will we see finally ITBīs and really making the most out of these engines at a professional level?
I respectfully think you missed the point... it's not about increasing power...

A carburetor works very well in the narrow operating range that NASCAR racecars run in, and is so much simpler than an EFI system, there is no real advantage for any team to switching to EFI system...

NASCAR do not want to see power increase, they want to restrict the power, and to level out the playing field, the EFI systems will enable them to control this more precisely.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Its not going to be ITB's or anything exotic like that, think more along the lines of TBI.

The stuff I saw being tested at ECR a few months back used something along the lines of a 4150 throttle body with the fuel injectors very high in the runners (the engineers were complaining to NASCAR quite a bit about injector placement...last I heard they were playing around with injector locations, which are also NASCAR specified) Intake manifolds remained largely similar to what they are currently using.

Power levels are also remaining pretty consistent.....

The transition to EFI is largely for marketing purposes. NASCAR is working on a 'green' kick. This is another part of that, just like the ethanol blend they went to this year and dropping leaded fuel several years ago. They are also trying to lose some of the stigma that NASCAR is 'stuck in the 60s' to try to market more to a younger crowd. They are trying to keep the transition as seamless as possible in the performance department.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

I’m not a big nascar fan but I do watch it from time to time, it looks like nascar is trying to make everything even, so it’s more of a race of driver skill, the ONLY way to do this is to put them in the same dam car!!!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think they could possibly make nascar any more boring. Even with toyotas and efi.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZV8
So put cages in them, racing seats, and harnesses with fireproofing etc. and limit the amount and quality of fuel so they arent overly powerfull. Then maybe we could have some actual sports cars in the show room. Its not that hard to come up with a solution. They shouldn't be called stock cars if they wana race race cars. Dont get me started on this subject you wont win!
Sounds to me you are describing a Grand Am car or some other failed production car class that never has or never will take off.. They have been called "STOCKCARS" since the late 40's.. and while they have evolved to what they are now the name has stuck....The Idea of driving a production bodied car into turn 3 at Atlanta at 200 is insane..People dont mention anything about a pro STOCK drag car no longer being production based.. Please explain to me why I would never win on this topic... Ive picked up a few things working in the sport for the last 10 or so years... and if worthy which im sure it will be i'll be sure to bring your ideas to Mike Helton or John Darby
I totally agree with the point brought up regarding EFI.. its nothing more than a marketing ploy.. Bringing on more costs to the teams at a fragile time is a poor idea...
Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple good reads.......

http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/nascar.asp

http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no296.html
Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

I feel like a moron for not realizing that they weren't already doing fuel injection.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Why don't they just put a speed limit on nascar then everybody runs 195 mph unlimited power just limited speed. Pavement pounding is just boring when all you have to worry about is wind resistance or tires. Next thing you know they'll make all the drivers talk on an open radio channel throw in some politics then BAM instant reality sport that city folk and women would watch.

I think motorsports that take real serious skill are rally racing or short course off-road you just roll it 5 times flip'er over and drive it back to the pits.

If you've ever watched LOORR and not been excited you may be dead.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 AM
dug
Banned

what kind of power and rpms are they making these days without a restrictor?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mAydAy121
Its not going to be ITB's or anything exotic like that, think more along the lines of TBI.

The stuff I saw being tested at ECR a few months back used something along the lines of a 4150 throttle body with the fuel injectors very high in the runners (the engineers were complaining to NASCAR quite a bit about injector placement...last I heard they were playing around with injector locations, which are also NASCAR specified) Intake manifolds remained largely similar to what they are currently using.

Power levels are also remaining pretty consistent.....

The transition to EFI is largely for marketing purposes. NASCAR is working on a 'green' kick. This is another part of that, just like the ethanol blend they went to this year and dropping leaded fuel several years ago. They are also trying to lose some of the stigma that NASCAR is 'stuck in the 60s' to try to market more to a younger crowd. They are trying to keep the transition as seamless as possible in the performance department.

I know its a totally different formula but F1 engines generally mount the injectors above (yes that right above) the ITB horns! If you see a vid on you tube you can see almost a could of fuel forming above the ITBs! Also seen similar things used in rally and race engines.

Again talking about F1 here but the FIA are putting some pretty green ideas forward for alot of racing these days. Obviously Deisel has now become comon place in prototype style racing. WTCC is now looking to use alternative fuels.

personally its a move i would like to see!

Chris.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZV8
I think what you are talking about there is already out there. the call is called Group N by the FIA. asically showroom spec cars that have been striped, safety equipment fitted, minor suspension alterations (ie you can run compition springs and dampers but you cant move pickup points), aftermarket ECus, minor intake and exhaust modification..... and your about there. have a look at rallying and WTCC (world touring cars) for starters.

Chris.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM
master of the "jack"stand

Originally Posted by dug
what kind of power and rpms are they making these days without a restrictor?
I've read about numbers near 800whp on chassis dyno post-race. I've seen 10,000 RPM topped on numerous occasions while watching qualifying on TV.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Teching In

I think its a great idea, but i do not think they should hand out the controlls like they do with the resitrctor plates. Ford chevy dodge and toyota are all going to require different fuel requirments. I think they should have a company develop a box that has limited tuning parameters and then let them run what ever tune they want. At the same time all these teams are always looking at the grey areas in the rules to get an edge, so the battle to controll them will be a little more difficult. But its also a good thing cuz it will bring more jobs to the industry and to working americans who will now have to sit in the dyno room all day. I think its really cool they are doing this only because how loose liped NASCAR teams are compared to F1. The changes in camshaft design, piston and ring design and manifold deisgn will all change beacuse of this. I have alot of friends in almost all the engines shops and hearing and seening the changes will be cool. Now they just need to get rid of the flat tappet and go with rollers.

Quick Reply: Nascar moves to EFI next season