Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Female flare fitting bung ideas for aluminum fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Default Female flare fitting bung ideas for aluminum fuel tank?

I'm building an aluminum fuel tank right now that I have elaborately over engineered. I've hit a small wall though.

I need to keep the fittings inside the o.d. of the fuel tank for reasons that are irrelevant. Problem is that; I don't want to use a fitting that requires sealant. I want a flare fitting. So, NPT weld in bungs are out of the question. All the female AN weld in bungs seem to be flare-less style.

Has anyone come across AN female weld in flare type bungs? Does anyone have another female flare type bung idea?

I want to stay away from sinking in a small box with male bungs. I've asked a few go-to people and haven't come up with anything for a flare type female bung. Searched the internet endlessly. Any solutions for me guys?
Old 07-26-2012 | 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Need a bit of clearification on this one.
There is no such fitting that is AN in a Female end. In a standard AN application the female end is made up of the Tube, ferrel-sleeve, and Nut.
Old 07-26-2012 | 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Need a bit of clearification on this one.
There is no such fitting that is AN in a Female end. In a standard AN application the female end is made up of the Tube, ferrel-sleeve, and Nut.

That's what I always thought, I was hoping there were specialty fittings or something.

The perimeter of the tank must stay flush due to mounting concerns. This is fixed, I can't change the way the tank mounts into the car.

I need the face of the fitting to not protrude past the perimeter of the tank.

The cleanest most reliable thing I can think of would be a female flare fitting welded to the inside of the tank. Then screw a male adapter into that once the tank is installed.

I just want to stay away from say a female NPT bung because I have never had good luck with any sealant being submerged in gas.

In short, I don't care what kind of female fitting it is. As long as it does not require sealant on the threads for a complete seal. I would like to shy away from o-ring fittings as well but I'm sure they would probably do the job.

Right now my options are looking like:

A: Use a female AN bung meant for o-ringed fittings.

B: Sink a small "box" into the side of the tank with male AN bungs in it, in a fashion where the face of the male AN bung is flush with the perimeter of the tank.
---------------------
I would pay to have a female flare bung machined if any sponsors would be interested?
Old 07-26-2012 | 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Next option would be to start of with a MS type bulkhead fittning and then transition back to you AN. Bit more work with more parts.

Look here might see something you can use.

Look here might see a option. http://www.gen-aircraft-fittings.com/
Old 09-09-2012 | 04:10 PM
9 Second Club

Just weld in a AN-threaded bung and use a fitting with an o-ring, same as all the Aeromotive stuff.

Or weld a flat plate into the tank and drill/tap with the appropriate thread so you can screw in a male fitting with an o-ring seal. No different than screwing the fitting into a fuel rail, regulator, pump, whatever.

Quick Reply: Female flare fitting bung ideas for aluminum fuel tank?