Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

intake filter setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Question intake filter setup

Just trying to figure out which filter setup flows the most clean air. Need to cram as much air as possible through a 4" intake pipe, coming in through a boxed front breather. N/A application so easier flow is better. Whichever is best, I'll be using the biggest filter I can.

We have the typical cone filter with a solid top. Can be used to on top of a velocity stack, just don't know if that's the best option.

Twin cone filters. Basically a typical cone filter with more filter surface area down in the top.

Wide (oval) cone filters

And finally the dual cone filter

...copied from General tech. Let's see how you theory guys compare
Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Surface area seems like king, that in mind I would go with the one with the most filter area. That and picking the filter type with the lowest amount of restriction. Not sure if oiled or oilless flows more.

But really, that boxed front breather is going to be the biggest restriction in the system. Can you route it in front of the radiator or in the fender well to an open cone filter somehow? That 4" of intake piping and the best flowing filter in the world won't matter if it's sucking air through a straw. I'm assuming of course by 'boxed you mean something like this:

Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, when I say "boxed in" I meant the front bumper is boxed and sealed. Kinda like McNord's car (attached below) except I cut out the middle section of the bumper to get 100% cold air coming in and the radiator is still fed from the bottom. Filter will be 100% exposed to incoming air through the bumper while the radiator gets air from under the car. That's the plan anyways unless the car overheats (got that covered by removing A/C core and bigger LT1 radiator).

My thinking is the "intake box" will only take in so much air before it pressurizes and creates a smooth aero bubble right in front of the nose. When throttle opens it relieves the pressure and the box will bring in more air. FWIW, this car is built specifically for two tasks: run the TX Mile (aiming for 200+ mph club) or any other race event AND confidently drive coast to coast if I feel like spending a few weeks enjoying the scenery

If filter surface area is the name of the game then dual oval cones like the airaid filter in post 1 should flow like a ****. Is that overkill for 750hp N/A? How about with a little 250 hit on top? Would a single oval cone filter be enough?
Attached Thumbnails intake filter setup-img_6590.jpg  
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wouldn't the set up above be restricting flow over the radiator? I would be more concerned with keeping coolant temps lower rather than concentrating on colder intake air temps. I'm interested to know if he has run that set up what the coolant temps were.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Wouldn't the set up above be restricting flow over the radiator? I would be more concerned with keeping coolant temps lower rather than concentrating on colder intake air temps. I'm interested to know if he has run that set up what the coolant temps were.
I'm 90% sure he did a full front breather conversion so his radiator is fed through the front rather than bottom. He also lives in the desert with no overheating issues. My setup will be a hybrid with motor feed from the front and cooling from the bottom. Since I have the LT1 radiator and no A/C my results will be different.

We'll see how that goes but my primary reasons for the change are a pressurized intake charge at speed and a more exposed radiator core.

Quick Reply: intake filter setup