Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Machine shops ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machine shops ?

My daily drive LY5 250,000 miles 2008 GMC Sierra , oil change every 3/5000 miles. 1st oil change I went with Synthetic oil and later to High mileage oil.
AFM ----ECU was EDITED to 8 Cyl, at 120,000 miles
My project will be a 1938 Chevy truck with this engine and I want to build it on a budget. , Engine and Trans,.
Where to send your engine for rebuild local or not?
Back in the 70's you could take a engine, block, heads to any local auto parts for rebuild.
I believe people had more pride in the work back in those days, maybe not?
I was a Tool and Die maker and Machinist for 30 years so I have trust issues.
Is it possible that my engine would still have cross hatch marks?
Help me out on what to do?
Thanks Awesome Forum.

Last edited by MD2020; 01-17-2023 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 282 Likes on 107 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by MD2020
My daily drive LY5 250,000 miles 2008 GMC Sierra , oil change every 3/5000 miles. 1st oil change I went with Synthetic oil and later to High mileage oil.
AFM ----ECU was EDITED to 8 Cyl, at 120,000 miles
My project will be a 1938 Chevy truck with this engine and I want to build it on a budget. , Engine and Trans,.
Where to send your engine for rebuild local or not?
Back in the 70's you could take a engine, block, heads to any local auto parts for rebuild.
I believe people had more pride in the work back in those days, maybe not?
I was a Tool and Die maker and Machinist for 30 years so I have trust issues.
Is it possible that my engine would still have cross hatch marks?
Help me out on what to do?
Thanks Awesome Forum.
It is possible there is crosshatch marks there, but equally important is that the cylinders are straight and round. I would suggest taking the bore oversize and getting the proper finish for NEW rings and pistons if you are that deep into it. What is local to you?
Old 01-23-2023, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 610 Likes on 483 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The likelihood is that it may not even need a full rebuild. If you owned it since new and have maintained it well, I wouldn't even hesitate to leave the shortblock alone. Take the heads off and replace the AFM lifters - they're only going to cause problems down the road, plus you're going to want to put a cam in it. For peace of mind, I'd put a dial bore gauge in the cylinders just to see if there's any wear, and if you see scoring ( minor scoring ), disassemble, use a ball hone to clean the cylinders up and re-ring it. In my case, I had no idea what my engine would be like, as it was bought as a complete vehicle... engine turned out to be a junkyard replacement, and the pistons and cylinders were destroyed. No quick rebuild for me. Lucky for me, Steve Morris Engines is half an hour from my house, so I'm taking my block there this week. I'm pretty confident they'll machine it perfectly. You might want to start checking around your area for engine shops that have experience with the LS platform, as some places want to treat it as any old small block and that's not the correct way to go. This way, if your inspection turns up some wear, you'll know what route to take.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Batesville Mississippi---1 hour south of Memphis, Tennessee my home town.
Defiantly replace the lifters and cam
Thanks for the Info.

I moved this to Gen 4

Quick Reply: Machine shops ?