Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Internal engine stresses

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

With a centri, boost will increase with RPM. You will not have random boost spikes. No boost controllers, no dumping 1300+ in a stand-alone to do boost by time/gear/speed/RPM.

Pulley size will determine boost and the boost increase will be perfectly linear with RPM. Going with multi-stage controllers, C02 powered solenoids, etc, to make a turbo behave like a centri blower is exactly what I mean by complicating it.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
With a centri, boost will increase with RPM. You will not have random boost spikes. No boost controllers, no dumping 1300+ in a stand-alone to do boost by time/gear/speed/RPM.

Pulley size will determine boost and the boost increase will be perfectly linear with RPM. Going with multi-stage controllers, C02 powered solenoids, etc, to make a turbo behave like a centri blower is exactly what I mean by complicating it.
With boost by rpm speed ect you can tune for different tracks alasphalt you can out your power level however you want it and wherever you want it i just dont see how a supercharger is so more effective with a good boost by rpm there should not be any problem with keeping boost spikes low or ect and if not why are the fastest small tire cars in the world using it just wondering
Old 06-27-2016, 10:35 AM
Restricted User

The fastest 275 tire cars in the world all run Centri blowers, so your point is invalid.

I don't see the reason wanting to go through the trouble of forcing a turbo to act like a Centri blower. How is it more effective? Because by its very nature it does EXACTLY what you're trying to force a turbo to do.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Teching In

The fastest 275 tire cars in the world all run Centri blowers, so your point is invalid.

I don't see the reason wanting to go through the trouble of forcing a turbo to act like a Centri blower. How is it more effective? Because by its very nature it does EXACTLY what you're trying to force a turbo to do.
Put them cars on the street im talking about durty streets at the track i thank your right
Old 06-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Wesleydaisy97;19310283]
Put them cars on the street im talking about durty streets at the track i thank your right
The fastes small tire street car i know of existing is powerd by a lq4 408 with twins and ams1000
Old 06-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Wesleydaisy97
The fastes small tire street car i know of existing is powerd by a lq4 408 with twins and ams1000
Are you talking about the Ohio Boys Trans Am?
They're local to me, and they're not NEARLY the fastest small tire car in their class. There are at least 2 or 3 other guys that live here in town that are faster than them.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Are you talking about the Ohio Boys Trans Am?
They're local to me, and they're not NEARLY the fastest small tire car in their class. There are at least 2 or 3 other guys that live here in town that are faster than them.
Im talking about a local racing shop near me and there 1100whp tt 408 thay are actually not very fast at the track for what they are but street racing they are on point with traction i haven't seen them loose raced a 1000whp bbc big tire camaro recently won bye a car but thats not the point i just chank on the street wouldn't a supercharger be out of its place compared to the track conditions
Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Restricted User

Lol. I'm talking more in the 1800 HP small tire range.

1100whp isn't exactly king of the street anymore.

And youre still not getting the point. How is a supercharger that makes boost by RPM out of its place when compared to a turbo that has had to go through LOTS of extra BS to become boost by RPM? If anything, you're making the turbo out of its place.

And it's all irrelevant anyway. I run 20 PSI in first gear on a stock 5.3 and haven't broken anything. So have lots of others.

You being here and simply spewing out your crap is complicating the situation lol.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Lol. I'm talking more in the 1800 HP small tire range.

1100whp isn't exactly king of the street anymore.

And youre still not getting the point. How is a supercharger that makes boost by RPM out of its place when compared to a turbo that has had to go through LOTS of extra BS to become boost by RPM? If anything, you're making the turbo out of its place.

And it's all irrelevant anyway. I run 20 PSI in first gear on a stock 5.3 and haven't broken anything. So have lots of others.

You being here and simply spewing out your crap is complicating the situation lol.
They race 1/8 i dont see how you can use 1800hp in 660 feet on a 28x10.5x15 on the streets unless they race 1/4 and im saying on the street you can tune at different locations with different road conditions on a supercharger you cant adjust it on the fly so if you set it up on a perfect asphalt road working perfect go to a road in the country with sand grit dirt everywhere if you spin you can tune your boost ramp and lounch boost on the fly thats the only reason i said its out of its place you could have a supercharger set up working well everywhere but i feel like its not going to be as fast as it can be in the perfect conditions when you pull up to a 1000+whp turbo charged car with a perfect tune because he has raced 3 times against other competitors and your a spinning or b not going as fast as you could and that $10000 pot is gone but i could be totally wrong ive see some fast as supercharged street cars on small tire i would thing with everything set up perfect it would probably be faster then a turbo charged car
Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Restricted User

You're right. Good luck on whatever you build. Let us know how it goes. I'm going to go get some popcorn.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Teching In

You're right. Good luck on whatever you build. Let us know how it goes. I'm going to go get some popcorn.
Lol okay
Old 06-27-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The only issue with 'instant' torque that a rod might have is the control system not responding fast enough to handle a quick increase in delivered air mass. Now while I wouldn't exactly recommend maxing out the connecting rods in terms of compressive strength, you can hit them with as much torque as they'll take within some safety margin. It's not going to matter if its at 2500rpm or 6000rpm. I believe there is a misconception that has been adopted where people have engine problems by bringing in boost too quickly at low rpm. Say you go from a big 80mm turbo down to a 66mm turbo which hits peak boost 1500rpm sooner and pop a head gasket or bend a rod. Instinctively, you might blame the additional boost. But truth be told, it's because those areas weren't calibrated for with the bigger turbo. Even if you ran it through steady state testing on a load bearing dyno, the bigger turbo wouldnt make boost as low down in rpm as the small turbo. Manage your cylinder pressure in the calibration so as to not exceed compressive strength of the connecting rods at all rpms, but optimize for max torque through the entire rpm range, and you'll have a powerful engine that will live.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so my thought is a rpm based boost controller that only hits max boost right before redline
Sooooo.... you mean that you want to buy a centrifugal supercharger setup.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Sooooo.... you mean that you want to buy a centrifugal supercharger setup.
No and ive tried to explain why so much that if you dont understand idk what to say
Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Restricted User

No and ive tried to explain why so much that if you dont understand idk what to say
Because nobody can wrap their heads around why on earth you would want to go through the significant hassle and associated risk/cost to make a turbo act like a centrifugal blower instead of just buying the blower. It makes absolutely zero sense. You might as well say you want to make your LS run on diesel instead of just buying a diesel.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, I am similar to my wife where I rely on periods. So, since you don't use any, you are correct, I have know idea what you are saying.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
For me, I am similar to my wife where I rely on periods. So, since you don't use any, you are correct, I have know idea what you are saying.
Nice one
Old 07-08-2016, 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Irony much?
We need a like button
Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

the wastegate is a tuning tool. A boost controller is a reliable device for telling a wastegate how to behave. All factory turbo cars use wastegates and often include factory electronic controlled solenoids for proper engine behavior in a wide variety of reliable daily driver applications, this is not a "terrible thing to do" to a turbocharger, but rather a necessity when one is trying to achieve maximum performance out of one.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Boost by Gear

OK, your question WAS NOT ANSWERED WELL.
YOUR direction was, my answer to that is with my EMS, many "stand alone's", you have control over MAP.
My normal method is a "3-D" table with Air Temperature, RPM, Target Boost.
My boost controllers do the same.
I add "boost by gear" by the use of a Wheel Speed Sensor, a "guess" sure but it works well.

YOUR question : RPM first, then BMEP, then the Ignition Quality.
They DO all work together.
As we know Piston Speed is the first MAJOR concern @ 4000 feet/minute.
The Break Mean Effective Pressure is an average, NOT the peak pressure when Ignition Occurs.
When Detonation Occurs, the Cylinder Pressure is 10X that of normal BMEP.

THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO STOP.

We know many common fixes for that, there are TWO most often forgotton.

The FIRST is the accuracy of the Spark Instant with the standard use of my 60-2 (GM 58x) Crankshaft Position Encoding method.
The accuracy IS 1/4 degree @ 2500 RPM Acceleration Rate with a 60-2.
The accuracy IS 2 degrees when the GM 24xe is fitted with 24 tooth.

The next FORGOTON item is Ignition Energy, with the NORMAL comment of "My OEM GM coil works fine, I just 'close' the GAP.

A GOOD STRONG, LONG, Spark will allow for less Spark Advance.

The answer is the best ignition will do more for long engine life, the life of the internal engine components.

Those who use my LS-IGN-1A coil kit report this along with more power, better millage.

Lance

Quick Reply: Internal engine stresses