Ls1 408 or ls2 403 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 408 or ls2 403

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Default Ls1 408 or ls2 403

Hey LS1 Forum,

I am at the point to buy a GTO and I am looking into two of them.
2004 LS1 408
and 2006 LS2 403 or 402 am not really sure

LS2 made 485rwhp
LS1 hasnt been tuned yet but owner said it should put more than 500rwhp

I really confused as I heard LS1 block is heavier or something
Both are N/A and im planning to put f1 pro when i buy one.

Someone help me please
G0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HCI2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Howell & Fenton MI
Posts: 9,402
Default

The 408 is a LQ9 or LQ4
HCI2000SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Im not really into chevies so I have no clue whats the different betweem both of them but i made a fast research and got two different answers. If it is about the block material the 408 is iron block. If it is about the pistons shape i have no idea .
G0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #4
KCS
Moderator
iTrader: (19)
 
KCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0at View Post
Im not really into chevies so I have no clue whats the different betweem both of them but i made a fast research and got two different answers. If it is about the block material the 408 is iron block. If it is about the pistons shape i have no idea .
A 408 is normally a 4.030" bore and a 4" stroke. You can take an LS2 block out to 4.030", but usually a 408 is built using a 6.0L iron block. That would be the heavier block as the LS1/2 blocks are aluminum.

With an LS2 block, 4.005" bore is more common with the stock sleeves, which ends up being a 403 with the 4" stroke.

An LS1 can only go to about 3.905" on the stock sleeves, which would be a 383 with the 4" stroke.
KCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCS View Post
A 408 is normally a 4.030" bore and a 4" stroke. You can take an LS2 block out to 4.030", but usually a 408 is built using a 6.0L iron block. That would be the heavier block as the LS1/2 blocks are aluminum.

With an LS2 block, 4.005" bore is more common with the stock sleeves, which ends up being a 403 with the 4" stroke.

An LS1 can only go to about 3.905" on the stock sleeves, which would be a 383 with the 4" stroke.
Hey,
Thanks for reply. Both cars already built. I just need help with chosing between them. Am not building
G0at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
KCS
Moderator
iTrader: (19)
 
KCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0at View Post
Hey,
Thanks for reply. Both cars already built. I just need help with chosing between them. Am not building
I understand that. You were confused about what engines were in them, were you not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0at View Post
I really confused as I heard LS1 block is heavier or something

Someone help me please
KCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 10,877
Default

Both could simply be incorrectly or falsely advertised as to the engine.

As everyone says...you ain't getting a 408 with an LS1 block unless it's been very heavily worked with new liners etc which would almost be pointless unless it was done over a decade ago before other options appeared.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
t6 92mm exhaust wheel big enough for a 403? pleasantview240 Forced Induction 10 09-03-2016 11:22 AM
403" Trans Am Nitrous Street Pass 455GTO Street Racing & Kill Stories 10 08-29-2016 10:57 PM
403 Ls2 NA Test Hit On The Street 455GTO Street Racing & Kill Stories 20 05-02-2016 03:49 PM
New from Calgary, Canada!! Alberta LS1 Introductions & Greetings 1 04-17-2016 03:18 PM
Need Help I think my engine builder F'd up.. Compression N/A86 Generation III Internal Engine 22 04-06-2016 08:00 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: