Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

forced induction cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced induction cam questions

I posted this in forced induction but didn’t get any response. So now I’m posting here.

Ok so when it come to forced
induction cams some are marketed as blower or supercharger cams and others as turbo cams. What’s the real difference between a cam for turbo setup vs supercharger?
Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Not to dissuade you, but the best ones to ask these questions would be the ones who design and grind them. And the ones I would ask would be Cam Motion, a vendor/sponsor of this site. They are very honest and forthcoming with info and advice. Steve (aka Speedtigger) is on here all the time and drag races a mid 60's Buick Skylark with an LS engine. Nothing big and corporate about them. An independent company that races what they make. Give 'em a call!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Not to dissuade you, but the best ones to ask these questions would be the ones who design and grind them. And the ones I would ask would be Cam Motion, a vendor/sponsor of this site. They are very honest and forthcoming with info and advice. Steve (aka Speedtigger) is on here all the time and drag races a mid 60's Buick Skylark with an LS engine. Nothing big and corporate about them. An independent company that races what they make. Give 'em a call!
I get your point but I’m not trying to waste these guys time during business hours when I’m not purchasing anything. Just trying to gain a better understanding of the differences. There is a lot of fart smellers on here some professionals and some gear heads that can in layman term explain this quick and easy.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,355 Posts

OK, I get your viewpoint. Hopefully some one will chime in and give you some good answers. Maybe Steve even... he knows a lot of cam stuff!
Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other thread is getting some action now and SRT8Acceleration threw down the gauntlet when he said the best cam is the best NA cam for that motor. In a highly efficient turbo setup with pressure ratio around 1:1 that is 100% true. At 3:1 I'm not so sure.....

However, even the high pressure ratio setups if you graph the PR you find it is low (maybe even 1:1) at some points, then increases as the rpm/boost goes up - so it is only 3:1 right up top i.e. you do not spend all the time at 3:1. Therefore do you need a cam that only addresses that short window?

The arguments could go on forever.

I'm keen to try 2 cams on my next build 1 = a cam carefully custom selected for the application. For me this will likely be around 230/232 on 114+2. Then I'd like to get a similar one ground straight up at 108, maybe 110+2 and dyno the 2 back to back and compare curves. Drivability aside, it would be interesting.