Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Changed VE Table now i have a slight Hesitation!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Changed VE Table now i have a slight Hesitation!

thanks for the info Joe
Old 07-17-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread.

Joe - Your doing zero with PE vs RPM ???

When tuning this way how does it effect part throttle behavior?

I have begun searching for info on how I can best tune for gas mileage ( don't laugh please ) and it's sounding like the VE table may be the place to explore.

In your opinion could I lean out idle/part throttle there for mileage and then basically overcompensate in PE vs RPM for WOT situations to achieve my desired A/F at WOT?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-2003, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

chris heres a question back at you maybe it helped you understand better without answering all the questions..looking at your MAF table in edit ...how is it comin up with a pulse width?

You have a target a/f ratio (say 10:1). So for 10 parts air we need 1 part fuel. We look at the MAF flow rate and it tells us exactly how much air is coming in at any given instant. We know what the fuel flow rate is, so we just need to open the injectors for the appropriate amount of time to enter that fuel.

If you look at a SD (MAP only) car then it does the same thing essentially. From a manifold pressure and RPM value a VE value is determined from a lookup table. This value is then used to determine what percentage of an ideal engine (100% VE) airflow we are actually observing (ideal engine airflow is just based on displacement and rpm). So if an ideal engine flows 600CFM and we are at 50% VE we have a 300CFM flow rate. Then using barometric pressure and temperature that value is converted to massflow. Thus we end up with a massflow rate, just as the MAF meter initially gives us.

Now if the LS1 is actually using the VE table it would probably be as some sort of transient fueling modifier (my guess - if it is causing stumbles, etc. this makes sense). In order to understand and lay out what changes would be appropriate I think the above questions need to be answered - otherwise it is still just guessing!

think about it how is it going to be the same amount of airflow at the many differet throttle angles and load at 2000 rpm or any rpm for that matter..the table only has 1 entry for every certain rpm..

Where are you seeing a RPM in the MAF table? Are we looking at the same table? The MAF transfer function just maps a frequency to a mass flow rate. If you have the same airflow rate and the same target a/f then you *should* be spraying in the same amount of fuel - remember, changes in effeciency of the engine cause it to pull in less air (why it makes less power) - and the MAF is going to meter this directly. So essentially the VE is factored into the MAF reading by the way it operates. This is why you don't *need* it. (Again, that doesn't mean it isn't used - I am just answering the question you posed).

if the MAF was the all tell tale of fueling then PE wouldnt even be needed in way...

You can tune a car if you get the MAF dialed in perfectly setting only the target AFR. But the MAF isn't perfect, and the PE table acts as a safety device, as well as an easy way to adapt the same pcm to different combinations.

PE acts as a fuel adder also for map changes

Nope, look at the PE table - it is an enrichment factor based either on RPM or Temp (depending on which one you look at). Now there is a MAP threshold for activation, but there is also a TPS threshold. It's a RPM based enrichment factor for sure though (or temp).

...to smooth transition if you will..now hypothetically speaking if the throttle angle was 100% all the time..i can see the maf table being linear to rpm..

I agree with this I think - *if* the VE tables are used (which I am still not convinced of, but there seems to be some anecdotal evidence that they are. Again, log files could answer this question easily). If the VE tables are used the only purpose I can see is for transitional fueling changes, again, like an accelerator pump shot. This would explain stumpling/sputtering, and would make some sense since there will be an inertial lag in MAF readings under high transients. But again, that is just supposition.

oh and to add one other note VE also affects lt1 not just with lt1 edit but tunercat as well.. just tuned a cam heads lt1 car made 402rwhp on stock tuning with offsets for 30# inj. and then made 452 rwhp by the final pull

Look at some of the LT1 Edit list archives, this was gone over extensively. I ran some tests myself on my vehcile - setting the VE, across the board, to "1" made *no* difference in perceived drivability, power on the dyno, or track times (as well as fuel trims and mileage). Next I set all cells to 99, and again, no change on the above factors. I have dynos (Back to back) +-4rwhp to back this up, as well as timeslips and log files.
Try it on your car - if you are using a MAF and not in SD mode then you will see the same things. "perceived drivability" is tricky as a metric because so many other things effect it (as well as the placebo effect) - you reset your fuel trims, the car learns as you drive, etc. That is why I would suggest making a large change so that effects are obvious and quantifiable (loggable). The results were verified by many people on the LT1 Edit mailing list.
But admittedly that doesn't say *anything* for how the LS1 operates, which is why I am curious for someone to run the tests mentioned.

but as I said before I just hate to see someone just go into VE and go the wrong way with something...

It's good to be carefull, and I agree to an extent, which is why I posed the questions above. But also at the heart of tuning is going to be experimentation. As long as you are sensible with your changes and are good about logging in order to quantify changes you can very easily and safely make changes to see what the effect is - many times this is the only real way to settle debates (Such as this one) - since we don't have access to the source, or a commented dissasembly.

Old 07-17-2003, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

FWIW - Both Ken Kelly (in the LS1Edit user's guide v1.2 -> VE page 29) and Probst ( in his Corvette EFI book) state that VE is used in Closed loop. Ken says "it is not used in Normal WOT operation, but has an effect on closed loop fuel trim". Mr.Probst states that it ( Volumetric Efficiency) is used in determining the injector base pulsewidth equation.

joel (Bink)
Old 07-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also FWIW, I noticed the strong, raw-gas smell I had at idle after my cam install is totally cleaned up now after scaling the 1200 rpm and below VE by 60%. Lost a little driveability though - I think I'll take it back to 80% next and try that.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Kevin - The closed loop/open loop explanation definitely wasn't aimed at you, just at this post in general - if you look up over some of the previous post there did seem to be some confusion.

I am actually out of the country now for the next few months, and don't have a car handy. If anyone here on this thread has the time, it would be interesting to see what the effect is. You could multiply the VE table by 300 from 2000rpm on up (to avoid starting issues). Log the RPM, TPS, MAF Raw, Maf Flow (G/sec), MAP, Avg BPW bank 1, Avg BPW bank 2, Spark Advance, Calculated Load, L-trims and S-trims. If a decent amount of logging is done this should be able to show any difference objectively.

Honestly I have tried this out on a LS1, though I will still be suprised if there is a difference (there definitely isn't on LT1's).

Has anyone tried this???? My car is down or I would. Someone, PLEASE?
joel(Bink)
Old 07-23-2003, 02:20 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK I just tried it: scaled the Main VE from 1600 rpm to 3200 rpm by 200%, all map values, loaded it into the PCM, started EFILive5 and went for a 2 mile ride. I can say this much, it ran so bad a couple of times I thought I was going to have to flash my PCM just so I could drive home! Engine tried to shut down everytime I went into the rpm region then tried to slow down. The log file shows the O2 sensors flatlining during these periods. I also drove the same route and logged with EFILive before changing the table as a baseline.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Could you email me the log files? Thanks for taking the time to try it out!

chris@slowcar.net

(if you could zip it up first I would appreciate it - I'm on a satellite connection right now)

Old 07-23-2003, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Cal!!!! So the O2s went down - I guess it's going open loop to maintain operating function??? Did it throw any codes???
joel(Bink)
Old 07-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Chris, sure when I go home on my lunch break I'll send them to you. I assume you would want the baseline as well since my normal tune isn't stock either.

joel, no problem, wasn't that much effort to try it, but I was sure glad to get that funky tune back out! I'll have to look again, but I think it stayed in closed loop the whole time even with O2s going off line (other than intial warm-up, of course.) No didn't throw any codes, amazingly enough. The strange thing is I could accelerate right into the test region with no apparent problems, but soon as I let off a little, it started bogging and trying to die out just like it suddenly ran out of gas.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Okay got the files (as well as the VE tables) - thanks! I only had a bit of time to play with it, and though I haven't figured out exactly the manner of the fuel adder based on VE it does definitely bear out a VE effect on fueling.

I found the average pulsewidth and scaled it vs rpm and map (like VE) and rpm and MAF (a fueling analogue). I then subtracted the 200%VE table results from the normal VE table results. In both of those there was a noticable increased, and an average increase also (there was one high point, but even with throwing that out there was an increase).

I then plotted MAF flow vs. rpm and MAP and noticed the MAF was essentially unchanged - so the change in fueling had to be due to something else.

I made a summary of the results with graphs at
http://www.slowcar.net/VEComparo.htm

(apologize for the MS Word generated code - but it sure was convienent).

Some of the graphs are a bit "spikey" because of the lack of data points (they get plotted as 0 by default) - but even with that there was still a definite average and overall increase.

I did this same thing with my LT1 and noticed no statistically relevant change - but here there definitely is.

What I think is the most promising is tht the average pulsewidth increase seems to scale with RPM's (for RPM ranges we have enough data for) - which is *exactly* what a multiplier would have to do.

Now we just need to figure out exactly how the VE is adding fuel (in what manner/form).

(FWIW the values I used are filtered for TPS over 5% - i haven't experimented yet to see if there is a TPS correlation).

Just wanted to say thanks again to Cal for taking the time to perform the tests and send me the data!

I will post the excel file later on - it's about 15 megs and I am on a slow connection, so it will take me awhile to get it up.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

glad I could help some
Old 07-24-2003, 12:00 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Chris, good work on the data reduction! Looks like at this point we know for sure the LS1 VE works different than it did on the LT1 engines and cannot be treated as parameter just for adjusting engine startup behavior. I believe VE has an impact on both steady state fueling and transient fueling changes. Also, I'm pretty sure that VE has an impact on things other than fueling, like spark advance. If we could fully understand how the PCM code is using VE table values it would sure make tuning easier and more accruate.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

glad I could help some
Joe, thanks to you and NoGo for your insight into this VE stuff as well!
Old 07-24-2003, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

lOOKS LIKE kEVIN, jOE AND cHRIS DON'T NEED TO "AGREE TO DISAGREE" ANY MORE"!!-damnit my caps were on, sorry guys.
joel(Bink)
Old 07-24-2003, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

glad I could help some
Joe, thanks to you and NoGo for your insight into this VE stuff as well!
No problem ,I own a lt1 but I still try to help ls1's even though I'm the black sheep so to speak...
Old 07-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Well I have one of each (LT1 and LS1) but the LT1 is a '93 with an EPROM based PCM, so I don't tweak that one.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

No problem ,I own a lt1 but I still try to help ls1's even though I'm the black sheep so to speak...
Im another of the LS1's Joe has tweaked in the VE table. No dyno numbers yet cause those really dont mean squat to me. Ill see how she does at the track this year. I do know its was a night and day difference before and after his tune. Top end feels un friggin real now. If some of ya'll saw the timing tables you might pass out HAHAHHAHH j/king Joe

Im trying to learn how he tweaked the VE stuff, but im just a newbie. Im not messing with it unless I know what im doing. But these edits arent gonna change after a week, month, or year like playing with the MAF and PE/RPM tables Like Joe said, those others are just a quick fix(aka bandaid).

Awesome Work Joe
Old 07-26-2003, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

^^ ^^ ^^
joel(Bink)
Old 12-13-2003, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by binksz06
^^ ^^ ^^
joel(Bink)
Moderators- could you Guys sticky this for proof of VE use closed loop - in LS1/6??

Quick Reply: Changed VE Table now i have a slight Hesitation!