Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Cylinder Head Degreeing Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Degreeing Question...

I hear about these 11 degree heads by ET performance, which seem immaculate, and about LS7 heads that are 15 degree heads. I think it has to do with the angle the valves are, but if I'm wrong, what does that mean and how would changing this affect air flow/velocity? How does it affect what size lift you can use on a cam, if it does? Does it affect what piston should be used? How does it affect a selection of a cam as far as duration, LSA and ICL. Does this require special rocker arms if not solid roller? Sorry for the heap of questions, but I am hungry to learn as much as possible.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mnc2886
I hear about these 11 degree heads by ET performance, which seem immaculate, and about LS7 heads that are 15 degree heads. I think it has to do with the angle the valves are, but if I'm wrong, what does that mean and how would changing this affect air flow/velocity? How does it affect what size lift you can use on a cam, if it does? Does it affect what piston should be used? How does it affect a selection of a cam as far as duration, LSA and ICL. Does this require special rocker arms if not solid roller? Sorry for the heap of questions, but I am hungry to learn as much as possible.
Not to try and correct you but ls7 heads are also 11 degrees. This deals directly with how far the valve is angled off the deck of the piston.

Lower degree will usually flow more to an extent. Also gain more p-v clearance. The heads will usually allow for a larger cam because of the increase in airflow.

Biggest drawback would be height of the cylinder head. The closer to being perpindicular to the piston, the more clearance is needed for valve covers to clear the valvetrain.

I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable person on the subject but that's pretty much what i've taken from reading and hands on type of stuff.

Nate

oh and the ET heads are the shizz!
Old 11-04-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 604 Likes on 443 Posts

c5r based heads and the ls7 are 11 degrees, stock ls1 is 15 degrees, to give you an idea of the advantage an ls1 head has over past sbcs...they are 23 degree and nascar guys run 18 degree stuff.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Collections Hold

Default ls7

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
c5r based heads and the ls7 are 11 degrees, stock ls1 is 15 degrees, to give you an idea of the advantage an ls1 head has over past sbcs...they are 23 degree and nascar guys run 18 degree stuff.

ls7 are 12 degree